If an American team did this it would have received more attention...

Buzzetta

WOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Maybe I missed this here. Somehow I have a gut feeling that if American teams had done this there would have been a lot more media attention.

Spain's Olympic Tennis Team
ept_sports_oly_experts-964948690-1218761625.jpg

Spain's Olympic Basketball Team
ept_sports_oly_experts-633900547-1218549565.jpg

Yahoo: http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/be...am-discovered-making-eye-slant?urn=oly,100968

UK Telagraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...am-photographed-making-slit-eyed-gesture.html

Had Kobe Bryant or LeBron James been involved in this there would have been a shit storm from the world community. So why is this getting little to no attention? Perhaps the answer lies once again that there is a double standard when it comes to America and that is why these athletes are getting a bit of a pass on these pictures.

That's rather odd... and it's even odder that this is the first I've heard of it!

It was all over the news when four USA cyclists were wearing pollution cutting masks when they arrived at the airport.
They even apologized to Chinese Officials.

It was all over the news when four USA cyclists were wearing pollution cutting masks when they arrived at the airport.
They even apologized to Chinese Officials.

That's because Americans being concerned over the air quality is more of a horrendous slight on the Chinese than Spain promoting racial discriminatory photographs of the Chinese. The basketball photo was used as a promotional photograph for the team.

That's because Americans being concerned over the air quality is more of a horrendous slight on the Chinese than Spain promoting racial discriminatory photographs of the Chinese. The basketball photo was used as a promotional photograph for the team.

Well, of course....to the first part of your statement.

Can you IMAGINE the outrage and backlash if Americans posed like that for a promotional photo? :eek:

For that matter, even if a few players were just screwing around and posed like that, it would have most likely been all over the news.

Well, of course....to the first part of your statement.

Can you IMAGINE the outrage and backlash if Americans posed like that for a promotional photo? :eek:

For that matter, even if a few players were just screwing around and posed like that, it would have most likely been all over the news.

Jason Kidd had the exact same thing to say.

I think racial stereotyping is offensive for racial minorities in multiracial countries. I don't see how the Chinese in China would find these photos insulting. They would be if they depicted athletes doing something bad associated with China, like killing dogs or executing prisoners. Having race-specific facial features is not bad, unless you're a minority, that's why people who have never been made feel bad because they're not Caucasian (i.e. the Chinese people in China) wouldn't be offended.

Tbh, first I thought "why does Buzzetta think this is wrong, because they're promoting Beijing Olimpics when China should be boycotted?" I thought it was cute, and so did they. It's naivete typical for people who come from countries without racial minorities.

I think racial stereotyping is offensive for racial minorities in multiracial countries. I don't see how the Chinese in China would find these photos insulting. They would be if they depicted athletes doing something bad associated with China, like killing dogs or executing prisoners. Having race-specific facial features is not bad, unless you're a minority, that's why people who have never been made feel bad because they're not Caucasian (i.e. the Chinese people in China) wouldn't be offended.

Tbh, first I thought "why does Buzzetta think this is wrong, because they're promoting Beijing Olimpics when China should be boycotted?" I thought it was cute, and so did they. It's naivete typical for people who come from countries without racial minorities.

I guess you missed the point as it is lost in translation. Furthermore, I do not believe the Olympic Games should have been boycotted.

Last edited:
I guess you missed the point as it is lost in translation.

Your point is why it's not in the American media? Well, for two reasons: 1) it's not an American concern, those are Spanish teams, and 2) it didn't cause outrage in either of the two countries concerned (China and Spain) for the reasons I explained in my previous post.

Oh, and wearing gas masks belongs in the group with killing dogs and executing prisoners. It says "your air is too filthy for us, we're above breathing it". It is offensive.

Your point is why it's not in the American media? Well, for two reasons: 1) it's not an American concern, those are Spanish teams, and 2) it didn't cause outrage in either of the two countries concerned (China and Spain) for the reasons I explained in my previous post.

No it wasn't. See, you missed the point.

My point is that it did not receive the usual bashing and criticism that typically goes on if the photographs were of Americans posing like that in the pictures.

How could it possibly be that the United States would ever lead the world in racial sensitivity? I wonder... maybe we do something right after all.

Making a gesture like that has been wholly unacceptable and offensive as long as I can remember. How could you possibly think that that isn't offensive, no matter where you're from? Is it ok to mock people of other races where you live? Remind me where that is again, so I can be sure not to go there.

If Americans had done it, we would have been pilloried in the international media.

No it wasn't. See, you missed the point.

My point is that it did not receive the usual bashing and criticism that typically goes on if the photographs were of Americans posing like that in the pictures.

If those were American athletes, the only bashing would come from people who think it's wrong to pose like that in the first place. So not from the Spanish, the Chinese, or me :p but from the Americans themselves.

As for why they would be concerned about it, while they're not concerned about these pictures, read my previous post(s).

If those were American athletes, the only bashing would come from people who think it's wrong to pose like that in the first place. So not from the Spanish, the Chinese, or me :p but from the Americans themselves.

As for why they would be concerned about it, while they're not concerned about these pictures, read my previous post(s).

Very strange comment coming from someone who has jumped on the "America should or should not do this" bandwagon at almost every given opportunity.

Is it ok to mock people of other races where you live?

See, that's the whole point. That gesture is only mocking if it's assumed in a society that having Asian facial features is bad. I didn't find it mocking, the Spaniards and the Chinese probably didn't.

Only in societies with Asian minorities could people be abused just because they're Asian, which would make being Asian "bad", which would make this gesture mocking.

there is always a double standard as it is usually the world's hobby to bash on the united states,"they do this" "they do not do this".
it gets tiresome.

See, that's the whole point. That gesture is only mocking if it's assumed in a society that having Asian facial features is bad. I didn't find it mocking, the Spaniards and the Chinese probably didn't.

Only in societies with Asian minorities could people be abused just because they're Asian, which would make being Asian "bad", which would make this gesture mocking.

So, you're trying to spin this around to suggest that it's offensive in America only because Americans are racist?

Bullshit. Is blackface ok by you, too? Please tell me you're just stirring the shit in your usual way.

It is not ever ok to make fun of the way people look, regardless of anything else. My four year old son knows this.

So, you're trying to spin this around to suggest that it's offensive in America only because Americans are racist?

I'm saying they have battled racism and consequently developed racial sensitivity. I know you don't like me but occasionally you might want to give me the benefit of the doubt :p

It is not ever ok to make fun of the way people look, regardless of anything else. My four year old son knows this.

It's not okay to make fun of the way people look if the way they look is perceived as something bad and would consequently make them feel bad.

Back
Top Bottom