Stop Search

MunchyBrain

Born Against
I am going to rant now because I am really, really angry. I was just out in Angel (Islington, London) and I get off the bus, and I notice two police officers looking at me. This happens quite a bit, so I didn't really think about it. Then, roughly five minutes later I was walking past Borders/HMV and they approach me, and tell me they need to do a search. I ask them why, and they say it's under the terrorism act. I know people who have got arrested for not allowing themselves to be searched for this, so I decided to get it over and done with.

I hand one of them my bag, and the other one goes "We recognise you from Indymedia [it's an activist website] and Foxtons." [Anti-Foxtons demonstration I was at a few months ago outside the Angel branch, 15 of us, 40 police]. I didn't really know what to say, so I just nodded. Then they start doing all the questions and stuff, and they asked for my name. I told them they already have it. They said they didn't. I said that the police force have taken my name billions of times. I then got a lecture about how they're not a 'force' they're a 'service'. They keep asking me why I'm here, if we have any more demonstrations planned, what political groups I'm part of. I wouldn't answer this, but they keeped mentioning Class War and Antifa, which I am involved in. I didn't tell them I was but it's still scary when they know. I told them my date of birth and they wouldn't believe me, they kept saying I was lying.

I got a nice bit of paper with all the notes they made about me on it.

Reason for stop: Terrorism
Height: 5"6
Female
Identity Code :)eek:): W1 White British
Headwear: None
Upper Body: White T-Shirt
Lower Body: Blue tights, light blue skirt
Footwear: White and pink Doc Martins
Hair: Large afro-style hair (this made me laugh...)

And then all the personal info that I'm not putting here for obvious reasons.

But even though this kind of thing has happened to me before, never a proper, formal search. I'm really, really, really angry. 1984...

Sounds pretty scary, you handled it well though, :)

I am going to rant now because I am really, really angry. I was just out in Angel (Islington, London) and I get off the bus, and I notice two police officers looking at me. This happens quite a bit, so I didn't really think about it. Then, roughly five minutes later I was walking past Borders/HMV and they approach me, and tell me they need to do a search. I ask them why, and they say it's under the terrorism act. I know people who have got arrested for not allowing themselves to be searched for this, so I decided to get it over and done with.

I hand one of them my bag, and the other one goes "We recognise you from Indymedia [it's an activist website] and Foxtons." [Anti-Foxtons demonstration I was at a few months ago outside the Angel branch, 15 of us, 40 police]. I didn't really know what to say, so I just nodded. Then they start doing all the questions and stuff, and they asked for my name. I told them they already have it. They said they didn't. I said that the police force have taken my name billions of times. I then got a lecture about how they're not a 'force' they're a 'service'. They keep asking me why I'm here, if we have any more demonstrations planned, what political groups I'm part of. I wouldn't answer this, but they keeped mentioning Class War and Antifa, which I am involved in. I didn't tell them I was but it's still scary when they know. I told them my date of birth and they wouldn't believe me, they kept saying I was lying.

Female

But even though this kind of thing has happened to me before, never a proper, formal search. I'm really, really, really angry. 1984...

Blimey!

Sorry to hear that you got hassled like this. It's disgusting that people aren't allowed to express their opinions at protests and on websites without being spied on.

Female

How can anyone with an afro be a terrorist? :p
But seriously, that is disgusting.

The UK police force are incapable of anything. I was assaulted by a group of chavs last Autumn for no reason other than existing. After bedgrudgingly reporting the incident, it took them two weeks to send anyone - I live in Lincolnshire and they sent two senior police officers from Leeds to take a picture of my black eye. Another three weeks later they came to take a statement. Another two months later, they contacted me basically saying they thought I was lying and I got my black eye after conversing with a drug dealer to fuel my raging cocaine addiction!

Can you believe it!?

You do have recognisable hair my dear. May be they thought it concealed WMD :p

on a more serious note (yes it does happen to me sometimes).

Is there any legal advice you can seek on this or do you know anyone. I mean i understand that they have a job etc. but really, if you are on a particular website doesn't really mean your going to cause some mass carnage down the high street.

There are always two sides to every story.

Case in point - I have seen with my own eyes an "activist" (I use that word loosely for the Sharpton and the like admirers) take their finger and point it right in the chest of NYPD. Yes they are stupidly making contact. This guy was screaming and jamming his finger into the officer's chest. No, this was not a love tap. Then the guy was screaming about how the police had no right to touch him and screaming about how it was unlawful that they were about to arrest him.

Two sides to every story.

How can anyone with an afro be a terrorist? :p
But seriously, that is disgusting.

The UK police force are incapable of anything. I was assaulted by a group of chavs last Autumn for no reason other than existing. After bedgrudgingly reporting the incident, it took them two weeks to send anyone - I live in Lincolnshire and they sent two senior police officers from Leeds to take a picture of my black eye. Another three weeks later they came to take a statement. Another two months later, they contacted me basically saying they thought I was lying and I got my black eye after conversing with a drug dealer to fuel my raging cocaine addiction!

Can you believe it!?

Your story takes police 'service' incompetence to a whole new level. Also, between the 'afro-style' hair, pink and purple flowery Doc Martins and pale blue skirt with cherries on it, I'd say I look like a stereotypical terrorist. ;)

You do have recognisable hair my dear. May be they thought it concealed WMD :p

Is there any legal advice you can seek on this or do you know anyone. I mean i understand that they have a job etc. but really, if you are on a particular website doesn't really mean your going to cause some mass carnage down the high street.

There's nothing she can do. The police have that power now, when they passed the bill to include protest (peaceful) under the anti-terrorism act. Our civil liberties are being slowly eroded away in this post 9/11 society.

V for vendetta

There are always two sides to every story.

Case in point - I have seen with my own eyes an "activist" (I use that word loosely for the Sharpton and the like admirers) take their finger and point it right in the chest of NYPD. Yes they are stupidly making contact. This guy was screaming and jamming his finger into the officer's chest. No, this was not a love tap. Then the guy was screaming about how the police had no right to touch him and screaming about how it was unlawful that they were about to arrest him.

Two sides to every story.
oh shock horror! Someone pointed a finger in the chest of a scumbag cop, somebody quick, call NATO, contact the FBI, get me MI5 on the phone. :rolleyes:

How often does this sort of thing happen over there?!? I honestly can't think of anyone I know who's had this happen here, well, except for a former coworker who's now serving a life sentence for treason. :eek:

Female

Ah, the description of the classic terrorist...:p It's really annoying i know, but i suppose it's designed to intimidate you. People may argue that they have the right to stop you but to turn around and say that you're lying is just unacceptable because they can check the computers with all your details and find out.

I find it hard to suppress the desire to be cheeky in those situations but a knee in the bollocks one time seemed to stem the temptation again..:p

My whole problem with this is the assumption that you're guilt of something, and like i said, it's easy enough for them to check and see if what you're telling them is true.

Probably just on a power trip.

Female

That sounds rubbish. I live just down the road from there and I've never been searched. That's weird they recognised you.
I guess you have to think yourself lucky: think of Jean Charles Menezes.
It still angers me immensely that they got away with murdering him in front of a train full of people.
f***ing bastards.

I can't tell you. But this coworker was a PhD researcher who moonlighted as a minister; he was jailed for giving a series of lectures where he urged the destruction of Amerikkka. I'm sure there's more to it, but the decision was sealed. He was a nice guy; I had no idea he was doing this on the side.

Hmmm. I suppose this just proves how much we know about our coworkers.

Btw, at first I read he moonlighted as a minister rather than a minister. :D

How often does this sort of thing happen over there?!? I honestly can't think of anyone I know who's had this happen here, well, except for a former coworker who's now serving a life sentence for treason. :eek:

It's happened to nearly every boy in my class, except under suspicion of carrying knives/drugs not terrorism. It's happened to nearly every I know who's involved in politics.

Ah, the description of the classic terrorist...:p It's really annoying i know, but i suppose it's designed to intimidate you. People may argue that they have the right to stop you but to turn around and say that you're lying is just unacceptable because they can check the computers with all your details and find out.

I find it hard to suppress the desire to be cheeky in those situations but a knee in the bollocks one time seemed to stem the temptation again..:p

My whole problem with this is the assumption that you're guilt of something, and like i said, it's easy enough for them to check and see if what you're telling them is true.

Probably just on a power trip.

Sometimes you can't not be cheeky. For example, I once got told "Hand over the umbrella or I will be forced to take further action." I didn't, and then the cop goes "I don't think you realise the seriousness of your situation." And then I go "I don't think I do." He was a pervy bastard though, he kept winking at me..

That sounds rubbish. I live just down the road from there and I've never been searched. That's weird they recognised you.
I guess you have to think yourself lucky: think of Jean Charles Menezes.
It still angers me immensely that they got away with murdering him in front of a train full of people.
f***ing bastards.

The thing with Menezes was atrocious. The plice always use terrorism as an excuse to do anything, because it appeals to the publics fears. It's like on the anti-Bush demo and they said they were hitting people because it was a bomb threat...The being recognised thing has happened to me once before, it was scarier the first time, but it's still really weird.

oh shock horror! Someone pointed a finger in the chest of a scumbag cop, somebody quick, call NATO, contact the FBI, get me MI5 on the phone. :rolleyes:

You do that you get arrested / detained by the police as it falls under assault.

Me? I am a private citizen. You do that to me you may get your teeth knocked out and at the very least find yourself on the floor. I am not a big fan of being touched in that manner.

Furthermore it is amazing how people have a basic misunderstanding of what their rights actually are. Last Friday while waiting at Apple one guy was getting irate because the iTunes system for setting up the iPhones instore became overwhelmed and their were the reported delays. One guy started ranting and raving and when asked to shut up (by someone else, not me) he responded "what are they going to do kick me out.

Well actually yes. In a mall you are on private property. The mall (enclosed shopping centers containing various stores - I forget if they are called "malls" in the UK) can much more easily have you removed than the police can in a park for disorderly conduct or any type of behavior or appearance that you are allowed by the government.

Even then protest and activism in public must abide by certain guidelines to ensure that the protest does not cause civil unrest for those not involved.

Last edited:
I can't tell you. But this coworker was a PhD researcher who moonlighted as a minister; he was jailed for giving a series of lectures where he urged the destruction of Amerikkka. I'm sure there's more to it, but the decision was sealed. He was a nice guy; I had no idea he was doing this on the side.

There usually is.
There usually is....

Back
Top Bottom