Should Morrissey be allowed to change the album covers of old albums?

Theo

I never liked how Morrissey put a brand new cover on the special edition of "Viva Hate." (It also disturbed me that the bonus tracks on that edition included Morrissey songs from an entirely different period of his solo career. This should also be forbidden.)

It is my understanding he's putting a new cover on "Southpaw Grammar" for it's reissue.

It is acceptable to do some tweaking of the cover to clearly mark it a different edition of the album. For example, altering the coloration of the special edition of "You Are The Quarry".

But whatever Morrissey thinks of the cover of "Southpaw Grammar" today, it's no longer his or anyone else's right to try and "correct" that today with an entirely new cover.

"Southpaw Grammar" is an album with these songs in this exact order:

1. "The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils"
2. "Reader Meet Author"
3. "The Boy Racer"
4. "The Operation"
5. "Dagenham Dave"
6. "Do Your Best and Don't Worry"
7. "Best Friend on the Payroll"
8. "Southpaw"

With this cover:

200px-Morrisseysouthpawgrammar.jpg

Remastering the songs is allowed. Changing their order or sticking other tracks within the track listing is not. Bonus tracks should appear after the final album track and be clearly marked as bonus tracks on the track listing. These bonus tracks must be from studio sessions or live performances that took place during the "Southpaw Grammar" period of his career. Any changes to the cover art for the reissue should be to signal that this is a special reissue of the album, not to erase the old cover out of existance in its entirety.

Morrissey frequently disparages the covers of "Southpaw Grammar" and "Maladjusted" nowadays. He suggests other people are to blame, etc etc. Whatever happened in those days is what happened. You can't re-do it now. I think both those albums are way better than the stuff he's been putting out the last couple years. No, I don't like the "Maladjusted" cover art much, but it's the cover of the album and always will be. I do like the cover of "Southpaw Grammar". But this is neither here nor there. I liked the original cover of "Viva Hate" and, if it had been the cover of some other recording, I liked the new cover on the "Viva Hate" special edition. It just didn't belong on the front of "Viva Hate." A person should know the album is "Viva Hate" upon first glance of the cover, without reading the words on the front.

Now, a person might say an album is like a novel, and novels constantly have new artwork stuck on them. But do you want record companies to stick new cover art on Smiths and Morrissey albums into the future, long after he's dead? The cover is part of the album. The covers of novels have always been up to the publishers. "Southpaw Grammar" is the 8 songs and cover that was originally released, and so it should remain until the earth is burned up by the sun.

The only exception to this rule is if, at the time the album was made, there had been a dispute between artist and record label and the record label did not allow the artist to use the cover he originally had intended, or if different covers were released in different parts of the world. In such cases it becomes like when a movie director puts out the "director's cut" of a movie. This is to be distinguished from the movie director who looks back on his movie a decade later and the ten-year-older director decides if he were making the movie today he'd do things differently and so now he's gonna change the movie in hindsight. This should not be allowed, yet it has occured on occassion. I like to be able to go back to a movie as I grow older and know that the movie has not changed, only I and the world have.

Please don't tell me I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, or that I'm just trying to invent controversy where there is none because I'm bored. It is my hope someone will intervene and tell Morrissey he is not allowed to stick a new cover sleeve on "Southpaw Grammar" that reflects his tastes in 2008, but he may tweak it to indicate it is a special edition so long as it preserves the aesthetics of the original cover sleeve. In this way, "Southpaw Grammar" will still be the "Southpaw Grammar" that people either loved or loathed when it was first released, and the "Southpaw Grammar" remastered special edition with bonus tracks will not seek to correct any "mistakes" from the past or revise history, but simply be offered to allow people to have and enjoy a special version of the same old album, and perhaps encourage people who didn't appreciate it at the time to give it another chance.

Last edited:
If he doesn't like the cover of Southpaw Grammer and wants to change it, let him do it.

If he doesn't like the cover of Southpaw Grammer and wants to change it, let him do it.

What if Morrissey said he no longer likes "The Queen Is Dead" and will re-record it the way he thinks it should be now?

What if Morrissey said he no longer likes "The Queen Is Dead" and will re-record it the way he thinks it should be now?

For f**k sake, I don't care!!

I have a copy of The Queen is Dead, don't have to worry about what happens to the newly recorded version. :D

For f**k sake, I don't care!!

I have a copy of The Queen is Dead, don't have to worry about what happens to the newly recorded version. :D

But won't that confuse future generations?

Any version of "Southpaw Grammar" should not be an attempt by someone in 2008 to make it something different and reflecting their 2008 point of view.

Theo, it's refreshing to see you advocating religious fundamentalism, for a change.

I'm certainly not as liberal as Kewpie. She thinks it's okay for Morrissey to re-record "The Queen Is Dead" in 2008 with his new band!

Books are reissued with new covers all the time. It seems like an appropriate parallel so I don't see the problem.

Books are reissued with new covers all the time. It seems like an appropriate parallel so I don't see the problem.

So you think that after Morrissey is dead people should be allowed to put out, say, "Meat Is Murder" with whatever cover sleeve they feel like? And you also believe Morrissey and Marr were in error for protesting the cover sleeve and remastering job of The Very Best of The Smiths?

200px-SmithsVeryBest.jpg

It's bad enough this was done with a compilation. Now imagine it being done with a future reissue of the entire Smiths catalog!

Just as Morrissey didn't think an adman should have been allowed to throw together what he/she thought would make a nice cover for a Smiths CD, I don't think the Morrissey of 2008 should be re-inventing "Southpaw Grammar" from his 2008 perspective.

Last edited:
I do understand what he is saying, and partially I agree. The albums are like a complete masterpiece and the cover is part of that masterpiece. When I think of Southpaw Grammar the first thing that comes to my head is the album cover-its the same with every album.
However, I am intruiged as to what cover Moz will choose to put on the re-issued Southpaw Grammar, even though I will always associate the album with the original cover.

Let's say this weekend I desire to go back to Morrissey of 1988.

If I grab the special reissue of "Viva Hate" I will be mixed up. Because that 1988 album has been corrupted and influenced by the mid-1990s! The front cover is all wrong because it's so radically different from the original and gives you an entirely different feeling in response to it. The cover art actually includes a photo of a billboard for "Beethoven Was Deaf," a live album that Morrissey didn't even know would exist when he recorded "Viva Hate." The bonus tracks include songs from the "Your Arsenal" and "Vauxhall & I" period! With an entirely different band! No, that isn't "Viva Hate" or a properly done special edition of "Viva Hate."

Last edited:
I see his point too, and it's a good one. So long as the artist maintains the mood of the album, not so much the exact mood of the original cover, I don't the problem. Case in point:

the-fountainhead-20071026-142719.jpg

z-fountainhead-stor.gif

It's a shame, for sure.

You cannot buy the old version of the record in shops now. If any cover needed changing I would change "Maladjusted", cheap and crappy!

How about a poll for the homepage, If you could change one album cover (Solo work not the Smiths) which one would you change??

It's a shame, for sure.

You cannot buy the old version of the record in shops now. If any cover needed changing I would change "Maladjusted", cheap and crappy!

How about a poll for the homepage, If you could change one album cover (Solo work not the Smiths) which one would you change??

Good idea for mainpage poll, go ahead to submit to David.

Now, quiz time.
Southpaw Grammer is the only Morrissey's solo album which does not have his photo on sleeve.
Name three singles which do not have Morrissey's photo on sleeve.

Last edited:
I see his point too, and it's a good one. So long as the artist maintains the mood of the album, not so much the exact mood of the original cover, I don't the problem. Case in point:

the-fountainhead-20071026-142719.jpg

z-fountainhead-stor.gif

You know what I hate is when a movie version of a novel I like comes out, and then mass-produced paperbacks of the novel have covers with the dopey Hollywood stars from the movie on them.

You know what I hate is when a movie version of a novel I like comes out, and then mass-produced paperbacks of the novel have covers with the dopey Hollywood stars from the movie on them.

I agree. In the book biz they're called MTI's or Movie Tie-Ins. They're usually relegated to mass market stripable crap books, but sometimes they do it to the nicer trade paper books. Some of them work though. There's always exceptions I suppose.

Tags
cover sleeves good thread by theo reissue southpaw grammar
Back
Top Bottom