morrissey on Oasis

was just wonderin wether morrissey has ever passed comment on Oasis or Noel Gallagher at all in the past, as i've never heard him say anything good or bad. was just wonderin as Oasis are my econd favourite band after The smiths/Morrissey

was just wonderin wether morrissey has ever passed comment on Oasis or Noel Gallagher at all in the past, as i've never heard him say anything good or bad. was just wonderin as Oasis are my econd favourite band after The smiths/Morrissey

Someone posted a comment from Noel who bumped into Morrissey on the street in London.
Noel invited him to a party, but later he found a post card on his doorstep.

i cant remember the exact wording but he first didmissedthem in an interview 94/95 but altered his opion and said in (word 2003) very nice things about them..also i read somewhere tht noel invited him to a party but moz didnt show up and sending a smithspostcard with the sentence" LETS GO SHOPLIFTING "
and his telephonenumber to noel but didnt pick up the phone whenever noel tried to rang

Last edited:
He's never been too complimentary but he's never slagged them off as far as I know. Mutual respek.

From Wikiquote...

"Oasis are very tame to me. At a time when they have the spotlight of the world on them, they should have made the most revolutionary, creative record and instead it's practically awful. For a song which is trying so hard to create hooks, it doesn't really have any. God bless Noel; I'm sure he'll always have a spot on 'Bob's Full House', but I search for something with more bite and rage."

Cheers,

Peter

here is Noel on the Smiths and Moz..he has covered "there is a light" acoustic in concert.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you think of Oasis?
I've always liked them. I think they're very amusing and very Mancunian and the best Manchester group since... (shrugs smilingly). But I do wish the singer wasn't so put out. "Do I really have to sing this next verse?" He could always go back to being a painter and decorator in Burnage. I read a comment supposedly by me in Club International where I called them boring electricians, words which have never left my lips. So they've slagged me off, of course, they have to, but I like them. Noel's very funny. Very runt of the litter. You can tell that he'd run off with the fillings in his grandmother's teeth but that doesn't mean he doesn't love her. q-mag 95

i can remember the word interview 2003 where he d said tht he met liam and noel at the australian concert and said something along the line "there a e not as what the press made them out..tHEre terrrible nice..etc etc...i cant find a online version of it...must look for yourself..so he has another more positive view on them nowadays than in the mid90ties

Last edited:
i cant remember the exact wording but he first didmissedthem in an interview 94/95 but altered his opion and said in (word 2003) very nice things about them..also i read somewhere tht noel invited him to a party but moz didnt show up and sending a smithspostcard with his telephonenumber to noel but didnt pick up the phone whenever noel tried to rang

I've also read this.
The beginning of the story was that
Noel saw him with a woman, and the woman came to Noel and said "Morrissey says 'Hello'".
Weird story...

Both Liam and Noel were hanging backstage during Moz's RAH shows in 2002..Footage of it was shown in the Importance of Being Morrissey documentary..

I have read somewhere that when Moz was asked about Wonderwall, he said he was disappointed because it nearly a dreadful track.

Yeh, didn't Noel have a postcard which said let's go shoplifting then when he rang the number it was a taxi compnay or something?

Love PTxx.

cheers, i knew aboit nole and liam being backstage at RAH and that Noel covered the songs, just never read anything, but cheers for that, so from what i gather, Moz respects Oasis

From Wikiquote...

"Oasis are very tame to me. At a time when they have the spotlight of the world on them, they should have made the most revolutionary, creative record and instead it's practically awful. For a song which is trying so hard to create hooks, it doesn't really have any. God bless Noel; I'm sure he'll always have a spot on 'Bob's Full House', but I search for something with more bite and rage."

Cheers,

Peter

the odd thing about that statement was he said in it in 1997,in the melody maker interview,promoting maladjusted,and maladjusted was just so "revolutionary and creative" and was so full of "bite and rage"

I recall they had a little section where they asked about groups and the only groups he liked were elka and gene.

Don't have a link, but I remember Moz slamming the lyric "Forever and a day" from "Don't Go Away". But in his most recent statement he said something to the effect of "They've done so much for Manchester music."

I can't see him carrying on much of a conversation with Liam, but Noel and Morrissey would probably get along like a house on fire.

Since the 'comeback' (Quarry and afterwards) he's been pretty warm. The statement in the Word interview was nice, and in fact contrasted them with Radiodead and Oldplay (as he referred to two bands in another part of the interview). I dimly remember more mutual love-in comments when they shared a bill at some Australian festival not long after, too. And Liam at least was at the Who Put The M... MEN Arena show.

So for whatever reason, I think he's been fairly nice about them since then.

from a radio interview 1997
Blade: A couple of weeks ago I was thinking about you (M: <slight guffaw>) because I went the U2 show, (M: Oh, yes) and only one person jumped onstage for U2 (M: Oh, yes) as opposed to one every minute during a Morrissey show (M: <laughs> yes, yes). Bono turned to the bouncers and said in the sound system, "Be gentle" (M: <gasp> Ohhh). And struck me as something you’ve always tried to convey.
Morrissey: Yeah, I think it’s something I’ve always said. But uh yeah, it’s great. It really is great when that happens. And I see so many groups, and so many groups who are supposedly enormous. And nobody goes near the stage or gets onto the stage. I saw a film recently of Oasis playing, and the audience were miles away — no intention of touching them or reaching, or being a part of it. And I thought that was extraordinary.

B: It’s funny you should mention that because I saw Oasis at tbe Weenie Roast (M: Mmmm), and I noticed that we had uh, like a phalanx of security (M: Mmmm). But no one tried to rush the stage (M: No). And again I was thinking (M: Mmm). If that was Morrissey up there (M: Yes) or maybe Depeche, but particularly Morrissey (M: Mmm), it would be people just climbing over! It would be like the Battle of the Alamo.

M: Yes, yes, yes... It’s fascinating to me, fascinating.

Last edited:
As lovely as it is, stage jumping would makes me feel a bit vulnerable.

Who do you admire?
There are certain people in modern pop who I am very impressed with. People like Bono and Noel Gallagher. I like them enormously. I understand Bono and I think he is worth supporting. When you meet him, you can see why he is very good at that ambassadorial role. He exudes a great sense of ease and enthusiasm. That's a gift. I've met him a few times. The first time was when I presented an award to him in Belfast about six years ago, and we talked at length. You can see he's a very loving and decent person and actually not remotely pretentious. And I think I understand Liam and Noel too. They've done so much for Manchester music, and saleswise they've put so many people in their place. They're very natural. They present themselves as they truly, absolutely are, which is admirable. They don't try to present some rock persona.

Some people would say that's exactly what they do.
I think they're very honest. I haven't had many dealings with them but I met Liam on the plane to Dublin, and I met Noel a few months ago in Australia. Liam was absolutely convivial. It is one of the tricks of the papers to make people out to be monsters, and you meet them and they're terribly sweet and quiet.

(Word, 2003)

Tags
morrissey quote
Back
Top Bottom