Exactly how good is Children in Pieces?

How good (in your humble) is the brand new Morrissey song, 'Children in Pieces'?

• Total voters

Maurice E

Apologies for yet another CIP thread but I think it's always handy to have a poll rating for new songs.
Will keep to my usual marks out of 5. Don't know if Houdini's thinking of expanding his original poll of all the songs but here's a simple one for now...

It's not really new ground for him lyrically or musically, but I enjoy this take on it (including the hillariously blunt "kick the shit out of very frightened children" bit). And, as stated elsewhere, I think the vocal melody is unique and quite well-done. A solid average Moz song- still better than most artists' average tracks.

i went with the ok option, as i have only listened to it once. nothing special and it didnt hit me like Something is squeezing my skull did or all you need is me has

Morrissey b-sides aren't supposed to sound like b-sides. This one does.

Well there were rumours (based on the demo) that this was gonna be one of Morrissey's best songs.
Seems like the consensus is that it's just a little better than average. Oh well.
Actually, this could be a good thing. We really need Moz to be saving his very best new stuff for the album later in the year.

For those who asked where's the 'too early to say' option. Well, do as I do and wait til it's no longer too early to say!
Will hear the song for the first when I get the CD on Monday...

Last edited:
ok this is when thread merging comes in handy.
good call.

i think its a great b side. i enjoyed it from the first listen. not amazing, but still a keeper.

the music is pretty good, but jeez those lyrics are clunky. clunky is a polite way of saying "terrible"

Oh dear. That's my worst fear these days for a new Morrissey song. Composer hands Moz a cracking piece of music and he ruins it with a cringey lyric. The 'kegs between legs' effect!
However, will reserve judgement til I hear it on Monday...

well I've voted 'really good' but I think it's between this category and 'ok'.
I think it's certainly an improvement on an average song from the ROTT sessions, but if you consider all the Moz solo songs, it's probably around average.
intriguing to see how well 'My Dearest Love' is doing in the ohter thread.
still yet to hear it...

well I've voted 'really good' but I think it's between this category and 'ok'.
I think it's certainly an improvement on an average song from the ROTT sessions, but if you consider all the Moz solo songs, it's probably around average.
intriguing to see how well 'My Dearest Love' is doing in the ohter thread.
still yet to hear it...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qBo0d7rA7Yk

I hit the wrong button when I voted ( I didn't mean to say one of the best ever), but I think the sing on is pretty good. The music is great, and I find myself humming the song all of the time now.

is it just me or is he trying hard to write a headmaster ritual sequel? thats how it seems to me with some of those lyrics.

Tags
morrissey new single
Back
Top Bottom