Does anyone know how vinyl records are manufactured?

Dave2006

I've done a search on google but not found the answer I'm looking for...so I'm hoping a genius on Solo will be able to help.

I'm interested to know why some versions of the same record are produced on different vinyl....recently grim posted some photos of this Charming Man 7" that had solid centres where most of them have the push-out type that you would find on a juke box record with 4 tabs keeping it in place. http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showpost.php?p=871396&postcount=26

I cannot believe that someone at Rough Trade thought "I know, for a laugh, lets produce some with solid centres and others with push out, so that in 20 years collectors will want both".

Is it the case that the factory will have stock of both sets and will produce he records on which ever is in the system? That Rough Trade had little control over it, or even just sourced the cheapest they could find. If this is the case how do they sort out the labels (solid or with holes)?

Or is a record made to the exact spec of the company - not sure how many other artists (other than Morrissey) will be that bothered (in Peepholism, there is a bit where he asks for the Centre on Hand in Glove to be done as a 4-tab push out).

Sorry for such a nerdy question. My daughter's been up since the crack of dawn and this has been playing on my mind :)

PART 1

PART 2

Last edited by a moderator:
When the older singles were sold out, more needed to be pressed. In the meantime details often had to be changed:

1-Earlier Smiths releases credit Glad Hips as publishers, but after the band signed a deal with Warners, all reissues needed to be corrected.

2-On the "This Charming Man" single specifically Morrissey wanted the Rough Trade logo to look like the Capitol Records logo (you know how he's always liked to imitate his heroes releases). They were probably asked by Capitol to stop and on further releases Rough Trade reverted back to their usual logo.

3-After the Smiths disbanded Morrissey surely wasn't spending his time at the Rough Trade offices, so for any subsequent reissues they didn't need to follow his wishes on how he wanted the singles/albums to look. So out with the glossy thick sleeves and the push-out centers, and in with the cheaper full centers. I expect this might even had started before the band split, after their legal troubles with Rough Trade when they announced they were going to move to EMI at the end of their contract. Rough Trade still respected Morrissey's wishes on current singles but not necessarily with repressings of older singles which kept on selling on the success of the later releases.

Stephane

Thanks for the replies Flax & Stephane,
Interesting video clips - it all looks so arcane and so very labour intensive.
And Stephane, I guess you are right about Morrissey not wanting to hang around the RT offices in the latter stages...

It's still a puzzle as to why Grim has 2 solid This Charming Man 7" with the Glad Hips and Warner / Capitol and Rough trade Logos.

Surely they might make a mistake on the Glad Hips pressing and press some with solid centres. Then Moz discovers it, kicks off and they don't make the same mistake again...

Mind, I'm not that fussed about searching for copies of solid centres - I'll stick with the push out versions I have :)

Thanks for the replies Flax & Stephane,
Interesting video clips - it all looks so arcane and so very labour intensive.
And Stephane, I guess you are right about Morrissey not wanting to hang around the RT offices in the latter stages...

It's still a puzzle as to why Grim has 2 solid This Charming Man 7" with the Glad Hips and Warner / Capitol and Rough trade Logos.

Surely they might make a mistake on the Glad Hips pressing and press some with solid centres. Then Moz discovers it, kicks off and they don't make the same mistake again...

Mind, I'm not that fussed about searching for copies of solid centres - I'll stick with the push out versions I have :)

Well I'm a bit of a nutter (but I'm in good company in this corner), I've got the push out centres too, I've got the 'Capitol' style & the one with the sticker over it & the block version too (I think), as well as the 2 solids I posted, I was wondering how many different labels of each record are pressed as well?

love

Grim

Well I'm a bit of a nutter (but I'm in good company in this corner), I've got the push out centres too, I've got the 'Capitol' style & the one with the sticker over it & the block version too (I think), as well as the 2 solids I posted, I was wondering how many different labels of each record are pressed as well?

love

Grim

No more or less strange than anyone in here...
I didn't kknow there were some with stickers covering up the offending capitol logos!

As a matter of interest; how did you manage to collect the full set? Did you only bid on ebay for ones that were correctly listed (and therefore pay top whack) or did you just come across them in record shops (and hopefully bag a bargain?). Or what?

Dave

img239.jpg

well luck does help with my obsession but also when I realised there are differences then I start checking out further buys, I always buy a record if it's cheap even if I've got it a dozen times anyway, so that's how I've found different labels/sleeves. Stephane's Passions site is a godsend if you want to know what to look out for or a nightmare depending on how much you want to find out how much is missing in your collection! :D

love

Grim

No more or less strange than anyone in here...
I didn't kknow there were some with stickers covering up the offending capitol logos!

As a matter of interest; how did you manage to collect the full set? Did you only bid on ebay for ones that were correctly listed (and therefore pay top whack) or did you just come across them in record shops (and hopefully bag a bargain?). Or what?

Dave

Back
Top Bottom