Marianne Faithfull sings Morrissey!

faithfull

Hi folks!

Some of you might remember me. The Faithfull hardcore from the Strasbourg gig in January!

I do have hot news regarding the new record of Marianne Faithfull to be released in late September:

06 Mai 2008, 00:00

Marianne’s new album ’EASY COME, EASY GO’

Marianne's new album EASY COME, EASY GO will be released at the end of September 2008. Recorded over a two week period at the end of 2007 at the historic Sear Sound studios in New York.

All the songs have been chosen by Marianne and Hal. The album includes interpretations of songs from such varied artists as Billie Holiday's 'Solitude', Merle Haggard's 'Sing me back home', Bessie Smith's 'Easy Come Easy Go Blues' (the title track), Morrissey 'Dear God Please Help Me' and Dolly Parton "Down from Dover.

Using a brass band and string section, the band also reunites Marianne with Marc Ribot, and Barry Reynolds. Both Marianne and Hal feel the album is one of their best to date. The album will also come out as a special edition; keep checking in for details.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=114722231&blogID=390668832

I wonder how this cover will be like - so you are likely to love OR hate Marianne for this... ;-)))

Have a nice day!

Roland

Last edited:
Re: Dear God Please Help Me

When you record a cover version you have to ask a permission from the authors/copyright holders.
Otherwise Marianne Faithful will be sued by Morrissey.

Ok but why do you say "he will be..."??? He already is - according to your answer!

Last edited:
I often find very hard to understand French people's mentality.

Please excuse me, I woke up about an hour ago, my brain is still half asleep.

Now Marianne with explosive keg's between her leg's sounds about right...

Pardon Kewpie, but what does this has to do with French mentality?

Besides, if you mean me, I am NOT at all French - I am Italo-Swiss, living in Basel.

When you record a cover version you have to ask a permission from the authors/copyright holders.
Otherwise Marianne Faithful will be sued by Morrissey.

Sorry Kewpie, that's not true. You only have to ask permission if you make changes to the song. Otherwise anyone is free to record any song that's already been released as long as they pay the royalties.

Sorry Kewpie, that's not true. You only have to ask permission if you make changes to the song. Otherwise anyone is free to record any song that's already been released as long as they pay the royalties.

Thanks, I stand corrected.
Hopefully she hasn't changed the lyrics, but we still don't know yet.

I often find very hard to understand French people's mentality.

Please excuse me, I woke up about an hour ago, my brain is still half asleep.

wow, so you get called out about a simple grammatical error and you start insulting french people? why are you a moderator again?

That's interesting....but what's classed as a change? There will be major changes to song structures, but then simple things such as a key change/modulation, intro/outro amendments, and so on. Would these be classed as changes.

I always thought that permission was needed in all cases.

I think he'll be really honored to hear this. It's always wonderful when someone whose work has influenced yours returns the admiration. I had a favorite professor in college who wrote some extremely kind things on one of my papers, and I've never forgotten it.

That's interesting....but what's classed as a change? There will be major changes to song structures, but then simple things such as a key change/modulation, intro/outro amendments, and so on. Would these be classed as changes.

I always thought that permission was needed in all cases.

A major lyric change and what Mark Ronson did (adding another song in) would be seen as big changes. Just a change to the arrangement wouldn't be because that isn't fundamentally altering the song.

If you think about how many covers are released and how many are done for tv shows you can see it would be logistically impossible to get permission every time.

Sorry to be negative, but I have never understood the interest to release an album full of covers. Where is creation here?:confused: To me, singers do so when inspiration is gone. One or two cover songs on a cd, that is ok. But on the whole Cd...:(

Back
Top Bottom