'I'm Going to Join A Commune'

Is joining a commune a sensible thing to do?

• Yes

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
What is a commune?

noun 1. a small group of persons living together, sharing possessions, work, income, etc., and often pursuing unconventional lifestyles.

2. a close-knit community of people who share common interests.

noun 1. a small group of persons living together, sharing possessions, work, income, etc., and often pursuing unconventional lifestyles.

2. a close-knit community of people who share common interests.

And would you like to join no. 1?

I work with some old hippies who lived in communes and based upon their stories I think they only did it as an excuse to stay high all of the time. They lived off ill gotten welfare checks from multiple states, so when computers came in they all had to get jobs and they're still pretty bitter about it.

What kind of a commune? This is an important part you left out, because some commune's are built on great principals and have managed to make things work. But if you are thinking of joining something like say, the Rajneeshee's, I would say no.

Well I don't know if I shall or not, that's why I want to know your opinion...

That depends on the commune--many are focused on one particular goal or lifestyle. A friend of mine has looked into a few communes that are focused on homesteading/primitive lifestyles--growing all their own food, living off the grid, and god knows what else--but she's never taken the plunge, and has now decided not to look into them anymore. Last I heard, she was planning to buy an acreage in the Ozarks (a hillbilly mountain range, kinda like your Highlands :D) and live there with one or two close friends. Of course, she never was able to explain how she'd run her Internet-based business from an off-the-grid location with no Internet access, but logic was never her strong suit. :D

Last edited:
And would you like to join no. 1?

Yes, I think I would :)

I work with some old hippies who lived in communes and based upon their stories I think they only did it as an excuse to stay high all of the time. They lived off ill gotten welfare checks from multiple states, so when computers came in they all had to get jobs and they're still pretty bitter about it.

I've never got high, could be an exuse for me to start doing it...
I don't want a job you see, so if I live in a commune, I don't need to get a job, I just need to help out with everything, and it seems like fun.

Not since Waco!

What an alarm call THAT was..:)

I've never got high, could be an exuse for me to start doing it...
I don't want a job you see, so if I live in a commune, I don't need to get a job, I just need to help out with everything, and it seems like fun.

If by "fun" you mean subsistence-level living, then yeah. Maybe there's a whole lotta free love goin' on, too, if free love with a bunch of dirty hippies is your thing. :D

What kind of a commune? This is an important part you left out, because some commune's are built on great principals and have managed to make things work. But if you are thinking of joining something like say, the Rajneeshee's, I would say no.

Well to be honest I haven't thought that far into it
Somewhere where there are like-minded people who want to create a fair community, equality and all that
Bugger, I should have googled it before I started the thread :(

My ex-landlady joined a commune in France, but she disillusioned of its reality and came back just after three months in 1995.

Here's what I'd recommend before trying a commune: try living with a couple of your best friends for a year. If you're all still best friends at the end of that year, then yeah, you're probably do well in a commune, because you're probably good at working out interpersonal problems. But if the idea of living even with your best friends for a year is nauseating, or if you try it and fail miserably, then living with, say, 100 like-minded people is just going to compound your problems.

A friend of mine has looked into a few communes that are focused on homesteading/primitive lifestyles--growing all their own food, living off the grid, and god knows what else--but she's never taken the plunge, and has now decided not to look into them anymore.

That's exactly what my sister is doing with other friends/family in No. Cal. right now. They are in the process of building from straw bale and getting the electric grid commissioned. It ain't cheap, mind you.

That's exactly what my sister is doing with other friends/family in No. Cal. right now. They are in the process of building from straw bale and getting the electric grid commissioned. It ain't cheap, mind you.

Yes!!! Straw-bale construction! That's exactly what my friend wants to do! Why isn't it cheap? In my friend's defense, she did actually have enough saved up to put a hefty downpayment on 50+ acres and build a house on it, but then a medical problem drained her savings completely. Of course, the fact that she was uninsured had something to do with that.

Well to be honest I haven't thought that far into it
Somewhere where there are like-minded people who want to create a fair community, equality and all that
Bugger, I should have googled it before I started the thread :(

sounds like you'd maybe fit in with an anarchist sort of communal space. they're usually a bunch of phonies, but more dedicated those causes than hippies. I deffo think you should really look into everything beofre you consider it an option. The question is why are you just now thinking about this?

I've never got high, could be an exuse for me to start doing it... I don't want a job you see, so if I live in a commune, I don't need to get a job, I just need to help out with everything, and it seems like fun.

I'm going to sound like your mother: just make sure that you finish school first. :D Perhaps in your gap year?? :p You just don't want to get stuck doing all the work or being exploited, which happens. And leave all of your favorite stuff at your mom's house, or they'll sell it and use the money to buy some chickens. And if you change your name, don't become Rainbow. Every commune must have a Rainbow, just don't let it be you.

Back
Top Bottom