Belle and Sebastian appreciation thread

MadameChaos

you should see mine
I'm listening to Song for Sunshine right now and it's such a beautiful song.

I'd forgotten how great Belle and Sebastian are. :D

I agree!!!
Do you have their DVD, For Fans Only?

Theirs was THE best show I have ever seen, they are amazing live.

No I don't have it, I'll try and get hold of it somewhere.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing them live yet, when and where did you see them?

I was lucky enough to see them 4 times last year.

I know Stuart Murdoch got married at the end of last year or early this year, i can't remember for sure. I suppose that is why they are a bit quiet at the moment.

No I don't have it, I'll try and get hold of it somewhere.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing them live yet, when and where did you see them?

I saw them in Boston after Storytelling came out. I have never
seen so many people and instruments on one stage. They did a Pixies
cover, 'Gigantic', invited a girl onstage to do vocals for that.
Also some girl flashed them during the line 'famous for showing her
chest' during The Model...Stuart Murdoch totally missed it though
as he was looking the other way.:D

I remember seeing B&S when they played an outdoor show at Glasgow Botantic Gardens. I love the records but I was actually surprised at just how good they were live. The highlight had to be 'The Boy With The Arab Strap'.

My main memory though, was quite a large group of 'enthusiastic' Japanese fans who had come over especially for the gig (about 30 - 40 or so). They were an excitable bunch at the best of times but when Stuart Murdoch announced Isabel Campbell on to the stage to sing a song it was like those old newsreel films of Beatlemania. Those Japanese fans went absolutely crazy, screaming hysterically, fainting, losing complete control of faculties....it was an arresting scene....in the middle of which a drunk Glaswegian, dressed only in a pair of jeans and holding a bottle of whiskey, emerged from a tropical bush next to me (he'd obviously been 'watering the plants'). 'Do you want a swig' he slurred in reference to the whiskey bottle, to which I said 'Nah, things are crazy enough already'.

I was lucky enough to go to their 3 day Bowlie Weekender set in Pontins at Camber Sands in 1999, such a great idea booking out a holiday camp. Belle & Seb had put together the line with bands such as Camera Obscura, The Divine Comedy, The Delgadoes, The Flaming Lips, Teenage Fanclub and themselves obviously who closed the festival. We all stayed in these cute retro chalets, having an actual bed at a festival and all yer own facilities was such a refreshing change to say the least..well it was the best festival i've ever experienced and ever will i think. The likes of Jarvis Cocker and Steve Lamacq were DJ'ing after the bands finished, John Peel was on the bill too but sadly never made it, i would have love to have met the man but it wasn't mean't to be. After dancing and drinking some of us wandered down to the nearby beach and set up campfires and chatted away till daybreak...just sublime.
This event was the inspiration for the All Tomorrow's Parties which is still running now but at a different holiday camp i think.
Anyway i hope i've not bored you, i have the live Belle & Seb set from that festival somewhere...i'll try dig it out and post it up if anyone would like it?
Here's the sublime 'Lazy Line Painter Jane' with the original singer Monica Queen doing the other vocal...it brought the chalets down as you'd expect..brings a tear to my eye, good times!
Ta.
Wow i found it on you tube, god bless it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-gqi6wAtRE&feature=related
LLPJ live at the bowlie
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=16A9932241532C55
bowlie2.jpg

Last edited:
I agree!!!
Do you have their DVD, For Fans Only?

Theirs was THE best show I have ever seen, they are amazing live.

I saw them in Boston after Storytelling came out. I have never
seen so many people and instruments on one stage. They did a Pixies
cover, 'Gigantic', invited a girl onstage to do vocals for that.
Also some girl flashed them during the line 'famous for showing her
chest' during The Model...Stuart Murdoch totally missed it though
as he was looking the other way.:D

Indeed, I do have snowfallsoon to thank for introducing me to B&S, in return, I introduced snowfallsoon to Northside:eek:

Jukebox Jury

I remember seeing B&S when they played an outdoor show at Glasgow Botantic Gardens. I love the records but I was actually surprised at just how good they were live. The highlight had to be 'The Boy With The Arab Strap'.

My main memory though, was quite a large group of 'enthusiastic' Japanese fans who had come over especially for the gig (about 30 - 40 or so). They were an excitable bunch at the best of times but when Stuart Murdoch announced Isabel Campbell on to the stage to sing a song it was like those old newsreel films of Beatlemania. Those Japanese fans went absolutely crazy, screaming hysterically, fainting, losing complete control of faculties....it was an arresting scene....in the middle of which a drunk Glaswegian, dressed only in a pair of jeans and holding a bottle of whiskey, emerged from a tropical bush next to me (he'd obviously been 'watering the plants'). 'Do you want a swig' he slurred in reference to the whiskey bottle, to which I said 'Nah, things are crazy enough already'.

Oh dear, I was tempted to go to the gig, but unable to.

However, I was very lucky to get in after show of their first headlining gig in London Union Chapel in October 1997.
Jarvis did DJing, shame I didn't have a camera.

I adore Belle and Sebastian, although I don't listen to them as much as I probably should.

I was forced to go to see them live in early 2006 by then girlfriend after I took her along to see the Manchester V Cancer gig and a Morrissey gig, and I have to say I'm so glad she made me go! I think I pretty much picked up their back-catalogue within a week of the gig.

For a live band I'd put them on nearly the same level as Morrissey and the Wrens.

I'm into The Life Pursuit at the momment. Particulary Song for Sunshine.

yeah, that LP has a great running order of songs.

Oh I forgot:

I saw them at Hammersmith odean in 2006. then in 2007 Reading festival, some anti-racism thingy at trafalgar square, cd signing at Virgin records on Oxford Street ( i have a poster signed of the life pursuit) and at the Barbican.

I didn't really like them when i first heard them And saw them on Top of pops doing 'legal man' but then again i didn't like the Smiths when i first saw them:p

When i was getting the poster signed stuart said 'i was pushing the mantle out' I told him that the store gave it to me when i got the single in the morning, i said i could put on my wall or sell it on ebay:p I don't think he was pleased with me:D he told 'don't do that!!!!!' richard gave me a big grin thou and said thank you!

I was lucky enough to see them 4 times last year.

I know Stuart Murdoch got married at the end of last year or early this year, i can't remember for sure. I suppose that is why they are a bit quiet at the moment.

Woah, he's MARRIED???

I was lucky enough to go to their 3 day Bowlie Weekender set in Pontins at Camber Sands in 1999, such a great idea booking out a holiday camp.
...This event was the inspiration for the All Tomorrow's Parties which is still running now but at a different holiday camp i think.

bowlie2.jpg

I found out about this while reading their biography. I thought it was a nice piece of trivia!

They're great live. Saw them in L.A. 2 years ago at the Wiltern.
We got up there early afternoon to have a nice meal, etc. only to be blocked completely out of the Wilshire area because of the L.A. Marathon!! It was a messy 3 hour fiasco.

Back
Top Bottom