Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now - 12" extended version

Stephane

Pashernate member
A fellow fan has just pointed out to me that his 12" copy of the "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" single has a longer version than the 7" , "Hatful Of Hollow" and "Louder Than Bombs". The difference is found at the end where there's an additional repeat of the "In my life..." verse. In total this version is 3:55 instead of 3:34.

Now this is a surprise to me because, not only have I never noticed this myself (but then I haven't listened to my vinyl in 20 years), but also nobody else has ever mentioned this. Even Godard doesn't seem to be aware.

The question now is: is this on every 12" copy of this single? I can't check my own copies because a few years ago my turntable left me for a better world and I never felt the need to buy a new one.

Could any of you check their copies and let me know what they have, and what edition of the 12" they're checking?

thanks!
Stephane

I just checked mine, UK RTT 156:

1984_heaven12_1.jpg
1984_heaven12_2.jpg

It's the same version as my cd RTT 156CD and 7" RT 156.
They are all 3:34 here.

Last edited:
i'll check mine in a bit. i have the UK 12".... RTT 156. i think mine is the normal, but hopefully i'm wrong.

i do remember hearing about the extended version on a test presing a while back over in the Collector's Corner forum. i'll let you know my findings.

did this person say which edition of the 12" they got it from? also, do they happen to be have it ripped to mp3?! :):):)

EDIT: Unfortunately, it seems I only have the normal edition :( it seems i'll be buying more copies of the 12" :)

Last edited:
By the way you'll have to play the record to find out. Either way the label says 3:34.

Stephane

Yeah, I played mine.... I played the 12" and the 7". Both 3:34.

The thing is, the labels on my 12" and 7" don't say how long the track is. Neither the labels nor the sleeves.

The label on the 12" say how long Girl Afraid and Suffer Little Children are, but there is nothing on side A.

Flavio,

The timing should be on the right side of the label, under 'Side A' and '45 RPM'.

Meanwhile in an archive of information I'm saving for possible future use on "Passions Just Like Mine" I have found the existence of a 7" test pressing with a longer version of "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now". The tp has a full center (not a push-out one) and is marked RT 156 A-1U-1-1
I'm guessing this might be the same longer version.

Stephane

Bump

did anyone else check theirs?

i'm dying for any chance to hear it

Unfortunately I can't check my copy since it's three thousand miles away right now but I believe I had a vinyl version of the "long" mix. I can't say for sure though. I know I've heard the long version somewhere or other. It's not that exciting, really, other than the "holy shit" moment when the familiar veers into the unfamiliar.

What was exciting was my Rough Trade 12" of "Heaven", which seemed to be a louder, sharper, more vivid mix of the song. Again, I wouldn't claim this with my hand on the Koran, but I could swear it was a slightly different mix, almost as if it were remastered. Don't quote me on that.

Flavio,

The timing should be on the right side of the label, under 'Side A' and '45 RPM'.

Yes, you're right... I just got home from a trip and checked the label. It says 3:34... and as I said, I played it and it is in fact 3:34.

That's the only Heaven 12" I have... Did you figure out where the long version is?

I'm surprised I haven't had more replies to this yet. I would have thought people would be curious to check if they had an unexpected rarity in their collection. I guess nobody has turntables anymore...

Stephane

I'm surprised I haven't had more replies to this yet. I would have thought people would be curious to check if they had an unexpected rarity in their collection. I guess nobody has turntables anymore...

Stephane

That's because the subject is not about morrissey using and old photo on the cover or how the tracklist isn't that great.

Let's change the title to "Viv's picture on Heaven 12-inch is too old" or "Heaven 12-inch tracklist sucks" :)

That's because the subject is not about morrissey using and old photo on the cover or how the tracklist isn't that great.

Let's change the title to "Viv's picture on Heaven 12-inch is too old" or "Heaven 12-inch tracklist sucks" :)

I've not checked mine yet & I do have my turntable working, I'll sort out later.

love

Grim
P.s. you should have called this thread "Moz left arse cheek bigger on the vinyl sleeve than on the cd"!

How about "You're not a true fan if you don't check your Heaven 12" to see whether it's got an extra line at the end"?

I've dug out 3 copies of RTT156 each of them say 3.43.
They are all etched RTT 156 A 2.
So is there a point to me getting me stop watch out & playing them?

Stephane is it a white label only pressing that plays the extra bit?

love

Grim

Back
Top Bottom