Morrissey Direct

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
Is up and running, sort of. Wonder what the signifcance of the crest is? The little symbols on the background...pen, bomb...from song lyrics? "Made to order, and not available in any store". Hmmm....

Peter

Last edited:
I brought up the morrisseydirect.com page because I'm still trying to get my head around the difference between the two Greatest Hits double cd on offer from amazon.com. They appear to have the same contents, but the "international" version is about half the price of the UK release! What gives?

Anyroad, I tried to sign up to "indicate interest" in this special offer, and it redirected me to a defunct http:///signup-process.php
page and my browser says that this page cannot be displayed. :mad:

Could it be related to the 3rd forward slash in the URL? Sloppy coding? A half-arsed hoax?

Last edited:
Have a shield...

shield.gif

Tommy Gun & Violin - last two albums...

Peter

I brought up the morrisseydirect.com page because I'm still trying to get my head around the difference between the two Greatest Hits double cd on offer from amazon.com. They appear to have the same contents, but the "international" version is about half the price of the UK release! What gives?

Anyroad, I tried to sign up to "indicate interest" in this special offer, and it redirected me to a defunct http:///signup-process.php
page and my browser says that this page cannot be displayed. :mad:

Could it be related to the 3rd forward slash in the URL? Sloppy coding? A half-arsed hoax?

That's weird. The URL is malformed; it should be http://www.morrisseydirect.com/signup-process.php, which is where it took me. In other words, it worked just fine for me, so maybe Peter & you caught the site while it was being edited?

That's weird. The URL is malformed; it should be http://www.morrisseydirect.com/signup-process.php, which is where it took me. In other words, it worked just fine for me, so maybe Peter & you caught the site while it was being edited?

f***in' 'ell! I'm never going to get any work done this morning/today (?) at this rate! :p

No, it still doesn't work for me.

But I've been pondering the crest design. The first time I saw it (September 2007), I mistook the wolf (is that what it is?) on the left for a unicorn. If it is a wolf, I wonder if it represents Morrissey's (?) savage, ravenous side as opposed to his (?) majestic leonine (on the right) side touching the heart. The wolf appears to be carrying something dripping. Is it an outrageous arrow (and sling) or a poisonous pen? Do they amount to the same thing? Is it dripping blood or ink? Again, do they amount to the same thing?

The crown of thorns at the top. Oy vey! The sacrificial saviour reference is a tad OTT for me. Steven does mean "king", but I thought he jettisoned that name long ago. The star could follow in the same significance as the whole Christ thing...or maybe Moz is just the star!

There's the violin and the smoking tommy gun reprised from You Ate the Curry.

The key at the bottom brings to mind the lyric about not entering and being entered until "you came with the key".

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this! I like it. But why does Mr Lion have a ball on his tail? :confused:

Good question. Maybe it's just to balance out what would otherwise be a scraggly tail? :p

Why don't you make up an explanation no matter how silly it sounds? It's a lot of fun!

I don't know why the wolf is holding a four leaf clover. Maybe luck is on the wolf's side. Hmmm...too bad, unless the wolf represents Moz in some way.

As for the symbols in the background, here's my addled take:

gavel -- still obsessing about court cases, I guess
bomb -- louder than? Incidentally, on the bmi registry, a song title (not just the LP title) Louder Than Bombs is registered to Morrissey and Marr. It makes sense. I've heard of bands coming up with title tracks that actually don't make it to the album and are never released.
brass knuckles -- Moz was sporting a pair on the cover of Q I think in '94 thereabouts. Trying to be all hard like a Kray gangster or somethin'
tombstone/crest -- in one position it looks like a tombstone, upside-down looks like a shield. No surprise that Moz would be dwelling on tombstones and that it would be fitting to double as a sort of crest/shield.
tear-shaped blob -- again, in one orientation, looks like a teardrop. The upside-down way just looks like a top-heavy blob. Tears...seems like his lyrics are dripping with 'em.
pen nib -- C'mon! We're talking England's finest living wordsmith here!
heart -- see pen nib
clover -- Irish blood?
something that resembles an atomic diagram? -- the world?
stylized starbust pattern -- I dunno. Maybe a flower? He used to quite like flowers, especially in the 80s.

I'm too exhausted to muse on what the pokey stick-like things with tommy guns on the ends could be. I just think of "my love is as sharp as a needle in your eye".

Good question. Maybe it's just to balance out what would otherwise be a scraggly tail? :p

Why don't you make up an explanation no matter how silly it sounds? It's a lot of fun!

I don't know why the wolf is holding a four leaf clover. Maybe luck is on the wolf's side. Hmmm...too bad, unless the wolf represents Moz in some way.

As for the symbols in the background, here's my addled take:

gavel -- still obsessing about court cases, I guess
bomb -- louder than? Incidentally, on the bmi registry, a song title (not just the LP title) Louder Than Bombs is registered to Morrissey and Marr. It makes sense. I've heard of bands coming up with title tracks that actually don't make it to the album and are never released.
brass knuckles -- Moz was sporting a pair on the cover of Q I think in '94 thereabouts. Trying to be all hard like a Kray gangster or somethin'
tombstone/crest -- in one position it looks like a tombstone, upside-down looks like a shield. No surprise that Moz would be dwelling on tombstones and that it would be fitting to double as a sort of crest/shield.
tear-shaped blob -- again, in one orientation, looks like a teardrop. The upside-down way just looks like a top-heavy blob. Tears...seems like his lyrics are dripping with 'em.
pen nib -- C'mon! We're talking England's finest living wordsmith here!
heart -- see pen nib
clover -- Irish blood?
something that resembles an atomic diagram? -- the world?
stylized starbust pattern -- I dunno. Maybe a flower? He used to quite like flowers, especially in the 80s.

I'm too exhausted to muse on what the pokey stick-like things with tommy guns on the ends could be. I just think of "my love is as sharp as a needle in your eye".

The animals.......

On the left, an Irish Wolfhound with blood on a spear (also a four-leaved shamrock/clover)

On the right, an English Lion, with heart (Lionheart?)

In short, from left to right - Irish Blood, English Heart.

Peter

P.S - The bomb - "If it's not love, then it's the bomb...."

Did anyone mention the key, yet? "You Have Killed Me".

The clover is "Lucky Lisp". Or it could refer to that abominable song about strip poker.

The "antler"-shaped design at the top might also be a "crown of thorns" or at any rate a "sun visor of thorns".

The animals.......

On the left, an Irish Wolfhound with blood on a spear (also a four-leaved shamrock/clover)

On the right, an English Lion, with heart (Lionheart?)

In short, from left to right - Irish Blood, English Heart.

Peter

P.S - The bomb - "If it's not love, then it's the bomb...."

Peter, 'fess up. Are you really Dan Brown?

Back
Top Bottom