Smiths memorabilia

Do you have any that you would donate to the SLC for auction, or indeed anything that could be auctioned to raise money for the club?

You are probably aware of their appeal to raise £1,000,000 to secure the long term future of this unique building and continue to provide activities for local young people and the community.

The SLC has became a Mecca to Smiths fans from South Korea, Brazil, Serbia, the Dominican Republic and almost 50 other countries, and counting. In one weekend in 2005, around 500 Smiths fans visited. Many of whom visit because of The Smiths connection. They make the pilgrimage to pose for pictures under the famous club sign at its archway entrance. They want to see with their own eyes and touch the redbrick, beautiful, Edwardian building.

They go to have their photo taken behind that iconic backdrop then generally leave really impressed. They soon discover that is isn't just the building that is full of character. Often their story is of how they were welcomed into the club by a volunteer and given a tour of the club and told the fascinating history of the club. How it was opened in 1904 by Lord Baden Powell or that The Hollies practised there in the 60's, for example. The fact it is on the corner of the real Coronation Street! The original Rovers Return pub was off the end of Coronation Street on Gloucester Street; named The Amalgamated Inn, it was demolished in 1971.

The volunteers much like the architect, Henry Lord, who also designed the University of Salford's Peel Building and the Working Class History building (formerly the home of the Salford Royal Hospital nurses) deserve all the recognition they get. They deserve much more for the invaluable work they do for and in their community. The staff and members have striven to deliver meaningful and character-building activities, which enhance the lives of all involved and to those who live in the immediate area. Many of the children from the area also greet visitors and demonstrate how much character they have!

The club is an asset it is to the local community, who clearly show the club a great deal of respect. In return it teachers respect and good manners to all. It has brightened the lives and made good citizens of thousands of lads, and nowadays lassies too. Some have become famous, including actor Albert Finney, Peter Hook of New order, as well as seventeen professional footballers. All are better for having sampled life through The SLC. To them it is a living, breathing, building. It is a piece of them and their life.

For many the Salford Lads' Club is a symbol of working-class endeavour. The area has changed radically over the last three decades. Ordsall itself was the original docks estate where A Taste of Honey was set. The social decline and poverty that has affected this once thriving community is startling and yet the SLC remains standing proud and elegant, as it serves the community, it is a reminder of past eras and shouts 'be proud of your history.' In this era, it now open to boys and girls. Around 200 children use the club each week and participate in sports. Each year, the club go on an annual camp, a tradition that has gone on since 1904. Forty kids went in May 2007.

This building is now part of English history, present and future. If it remains open. Otherwise the Ordsall's community would not be the only ones to loose out. Smiths apostles would need to visit the national portrait gallery in London to see Stephen Wright's photo for a reminder of the past. Ordsall's ordeal would be ours too. Our icon would become a memory like The Hacienda or the Factory at the Russell club. Neither of them lasted over 100 years.

For the club to continue, it requires funds. Money has been raised through various events by young club members, volunteers and Smiths fans. Smiths fans have also, along with The secret Millionaire and Morrissey himself donated money. The club continue to look for ways to raise money. I'm sure Smiths apostles will too.

Coming soon is the Smiths SLC auction. Donations for the auction is required.

As will buyers be in the not to distance future.

Please email either:
myself at [email protected]
Grim O'Grady at [email protected]
or the club directly at [email protected]

If you can't bear to part with your Smiths memorabilia but it's in an attic somewhere. Would you consider lending or donating it to the SLC for the Smiths room there, for everyone to enjoy?

Some of the volunteers posing for a photo outside our, ahem, their famous door:

Someday I will visit this Smiths landmark.

I've bought a t-shirt from the "club" but I'm not sure if that helps with the funding for upkeep.

What they should do is set up a set spot where all visitors could get a photo taken on digital camera....and then blown up to an 8X10 print or something....and then they could make and sell t-shirts/magnets/cups/mousepad, etc. out of the pics to raise additional funds.....just thinking outloud here.

Last edited:
Someday I will visit this Smiths landmark.

I've bought a t-shirt from the "club" but I'm not sure if that helps with the funding for upkeep.

What they should do is set up a set spot where all visitors could get a photo taken on digital camera....and then blown up to an 8X10 print or something....and then they could make t-shirt/magnets/cups, etc. out of the pics.....just thinking outloud here.

I hope you make it to the club someday.

It helps if the T-shirt is bought direct from the club.
http://www.salfordladsclub.org.uk/index.php/Section7.html

Great idea! All ideas are very welcome.

I just can't believe the Brittish foundation of historic buildings/places
doesn't accept the Slaford Lads Club as a Brittish building and society
that should be treasured and behold for the future

shame on you Gordon Browne [ and Tony Blair cause he did nothing
the years he was PM]

let's write a petition

:angry:

I just can't believe the Brittish foundation of historic buildings/places
doesn't accept the Slaford Lads Club as a Brittish building and society
that should be treasured and behold for the future

shame on you Gordon Browne [ and Tony Blair cause he did nothing
the years he was PM]

let's write a petition

:angry:

As HIM stated, Gordon Brown is too busy to deal with other issues, traditonally prime minister doesn't involoving about historic building conservation/maintenance issues.

According to Hugh, Grim and Phill, Salford MP Hazel Blears is actually actively involving the conservation of SLC.

Have you ever read the thread on Events forum regarding SLC bike ride?

it's lucky that this thread was made 'sticky'.

What is in the 'Smiths room' at SLC? I'd love to go one day...

lot's of pics of disciples that have made the trek, memorabilia donated to the club, there's a Morrissey shirt framed up on the wall. Millions of post-it type notes, newspaper cuttings of events etc surrounding the club of a Smiths nature & because it used to be the boxing gym it's got some old Boxing pics & equipment in.

love

Grim

How it was opened in 1904 by Lord Baden Powell or that The Hollies practised there in the 60's, for example. The fact it is on the corner of the real Coronation Street! The original Rovers Return pub was off the end of Coronation Street on Gloucester Street; named The Amalgamated Inn, it was demolished in 1971.

Hugh
Did you get copyright permission to lift this piece from a well known book?;)
I shall sue you for breach of copyright..... and donate the damages against you to the SLC:D

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom