The moment you fell under his spell

GlasgowChivas

Doing the Terrace Stomp
April 2006. Doing the garden. Listening to my cousins Ipod.

First Of The Gang To Die was on it as part of the NOW compilation album for that year.

Until then I was not even aware of Moz/The Smiths except for the video for HSIN which I remembered as the one with the chimneys.

As the afternoon went on I kept repeating the track over and over.

Next day I had bought You Are The Quarry. One week later I had Ringleader.

27th April 06 - bought a ticket of a tout for £40 for Morrissey at Glasgow's Carling Academy

Since then....well, you can guess the rest.

How and when did you fall under his spell and what exactly is it about him that we ALL find so facinating?

I heard First Of The Gang to die in 2005 (?) on the radio and I found out it the singer was this Morrissey guy.
Then I discovered he was in a band in the eighties, downloaded a couple of tracks, fell in love with This Charming Man. One year after I downloaded Meat Is Murder (December 2006) and I became a Fan.

April 2006. Doing the garden. Listening to my cousins Ipod.

First Of The Gang To Die was on it as part of the NOW compilation album for that year.

Until then I was not even aware of Moz/The Smiths except for the video for HSIN which I remembered as the one with the chimneys.

As the afternoon went on I kept repeating the track over and over.

Next day I had bought You Are The Quarry. One week later I had Ringleader.

27th April 06 - bought a ticket of a tout for £40 for Morrissey at Glasgow's Carling Academy

Since then....well, you can guess the rest.

How and when did you fall under his spell and what exactly is it about him that we ALL find so facinating?

Welcome to the world of Moz.

hey there 23rd. I think we spoke in chat on Saturday night. Do you still want to meet up? Think we could have something special going on here, kind of like Marc and Cerys in the Jungle.

Spring 2004 -> Alsatian Cousin -> We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful -> Meat Is Murder -> Viva Hate -> You Are The Quarry -> and the story goes on...

The first time i saw the "suedehead" video in 1988. Right after that i bought all The Smiths Albums. It's been almost 20 wonderful years! :)

In a theatre green room in January, 1988. He wasn't there. Someone else sang his words, and I said, "Who wrote that?"

Which means it's almost my Moziversary. Gag. Do I get a medal?

october, 2002. had blue hair. worked at hot topic. heard "how soon is now" in the store. knew of the song, but didnt know who sang it. I asked my manager and she told me "the smiths." when i went back to my dorm that night i got online and downloaded a buttload of smiths songs. thought "omg this is awesomez!" found a lyrics page and read through all of the lyrics to all the songs. thought it was the greatest music i've ever heard and couldnt believe I hadnt started listening earlier. immediately fell in the love.

Checked out Viva Hate from the town library in spring 1989, and was so put-off by the lyrics that I returned it without listening to it. A couple months later, a friend insisted that I buy Strangeways, and that was that.

(Viva Hate has since become my favorite solo album.)

My freshman year of high school, 1992. Big Moz fan, quiff and all, was going out with my friend's older sister. The Mozbug rubbed off on her long enough to influence her younger brother a bit.
I think I was filling out one of those offers from Columbia House where you order 20 CD's for like a penny a piece and then have to buy like 20 more at like a bazillion dollars within 2 years and ran out of CD's to get cuz their selection sucked. My friend suggested I pick up the Smiths Best Volume 1, Bona Drag and Your Arsenal.
I think the first thing I put on was the Smiths Volume 1 and was like, "WTF is this $hit?" :confused: LOL But "What Difference Does It Make" kinda stuck out in my head, thought it was a pretty cool song and decided I'd give Bona Drag a shot before I called these discs a waste of my 3 cents. I pressed play and on came "Piccadilly Palare". That song sealed the deal for me...I loved it from the opening notes. And I think I played that and "Such A Little Thing..." like a hundred times in the next few days.
Within 2 months I had all the Smiths and Moz's solo albums, the videos, any poster I could find was tacked on the wall...(which definitely frightened my family...my walls went from the Claudia Schiffer calendar to a 6 foot "Beethoven was Deaf" promo poster. :o:D) and basically listened to only Moz/Smiths for like the next 6 months. HAHA

Watching The Smiths on the Old Grey Whistle Test in about 83 at Derby Assembly rooms. Footage of this is on Youtube now. I was 14.

my then boyfriend sent me "some girls are bigger than others" as a cruel joke, but haha jokes on him 'cause from that moment i was in love with someone else ^^

this was in 2003 i was 13 :)

Such a long time ago - I was watching Top of the Pops that I'd videoed the night before and saw a band that I had never seen. The lead singer was swinging a handful of weeds around his head and they were dropping all over the stage.

Fast forward to the next year - I was absolutely smitten. The Smiths were appearing at the Palace Theatre in Manchester and I had no-one to go to the gig with. My friend promised me that she would go with me if I went to see Culture Club with her! I went with her and she came with me. Unfortunately that friendship burnt out but my love for Morrissey and The Smiths never died.

There are moments when I hear the music and I feel 16 again. Aahhh....

haha, me too (especially because he just had an unsuccelsfull circumcision, but that is extremely off topic...)

He still got me into morrissey though, can't really blame the guy for having a poor sense og humour :D

uhm.. i feel really mean bringing this up :D (..especially now when he wont be bringing much up anymore haha) well, he's not gonna read this - i feel safe to share a some gossip: he had an infection and it swelled to twice the normal size (but in a bad way..) and they reoperated it. and apparently this whole thing leaved him with one nasty looking dick. and now he's getting cosmetic surgery. (feel free to be amused, he's quite vile - this was truly well-deserved nemesis)

Back
Top Bottom