Airport Question

Dan133269

Hello all, wondering if you could give your Irish cousins a heads up on this one. I'm not going to fly into Heathrow in order to save money, so I'm left with Stansted, Gatwick or Luton. Which would be the most suited in order to get to the Roundhouse gigs in January? not too sure where Camden is exactly in relation to those airports. Cheers :)

Stansted is about 35 miles northeast of London.
Gatwick is about 35 miles south of London.
Luton is about 30 miles northwest of London.

From all of these airports you can take either a bus or train into London.

Another option is London City Airport, which is usually a bit more expensive than the others. You will of course safe time as well, as City Airport is pretty close to the city centre. You should check prices for transport from airport to city centre and see which is cheaper: City Airport or one of the others plus tranport into London city centre.

Good luck planning your trip!

Here's some basic info I managed to find as I have the same choice from Scotland.

Luton - apparently you can get an easybus from £2 each way (probably depends on time of day) haven't checked the exact price yet. They are every 15-20mins and its 1 1/2 hours to Victoria bus station which is pretty central.
Stanstead - train is £25.50 return and they go every 15mins and take approx 45 mins to london. I just went to each airport website and the info is on there.

Hope this helps:)

thanks everyone, yeah I read the airport information pages. 25 quid into London is a bit steep :eek: but sure it has to be done!

The easybus takes upwards of 1.5 hours to go from Victoria to Luton. You get what you pay for! ;)

If you fly Ryanair you can usually buy Stanstead/Gatwick express tickets on the plane with a discount of around a fiver.

Here's some basic info I managed to find as I have the same choice from Scotland.

Luton - apparently you can get an easybus from £2 each way (probably depends on time of day) haven't checked the exact price yet. They are every 15-20mins and its 1 1/2 hours to Victoria bus station which is pretty central.

Where did you see that?

I only found Green Line service and the price is 10.50 pounds a single ticket. Why is everything so expensive in London?! :eek:

Luton

Get train to Kings cross then only a couple of tube stops and you are there, train from airport Parkway takes about 30 mins to Kings X.

Due to dispute between airport workers and their employers, in January UK airports are likely to have strikes.
If you're planning to travel to UK in January 2008 you have to keep checking the latest news.

Due to dispute between airport workers and their employers, in January UK airports are likely to have strikes.
If you're planning to travel to UK in January 2008 you have to keep checking the latest news.

:eek: :eek:

For me they can do all the strikes they want during the first three weeks of the month, but I hope there isn't one on Moz gigs weekend... fingers crossed...

Luton

Get train to Kings cross then only a couple of tube stops and you are there, train from airport Parkway takes about 30 mins to Kings X.

Only 30 minutes from Luton airport to Kings Cross? That's really good. Do you know how much is the ticket train?

As long as you are not travelling peak-time (ie before 9.30am) it's about £16 each for a return ticket which includes any Tube or bus travel in London (ask for a Travelcard when you get to the counter).

This is your best bet because it gives you the option of going somewhere else in London before or after the gig (and because the train and Tube ticket bought separately would be about the same cost, give or take about 50p

Luton is your best option because King's Cross is so close to Camden (at a stretch it's walking distance in a late-night emergency!) but if you do choose Luton, get one of the complimentary buses down to Luton Parkway station, rather than getting a taxi (v expensive airport surcharge) into the town centre rail station.

:eek: :eek:

For me they can do all the strikes they want during the first three weeks of the month, but I hope there isn't one on Moz gigs weekend... fingers crossed...

7th January strike is called off, but still unions and airport authorities are negotiating.
Hopefully airport strikes threat will be solved before 20th January.

As long as you are not travelling peak-time (ie before 9.30am) it's about £16 each for a return ticket which includes any Tube or bus travel in London (ask for a Travelcard when you get to the counter).

This is your best bet because it gives you the option of going somewhere else in London before or after the gig (and because the train and Tube ticket bought separately would be about the same cost, give or take about 50p

Luton is your best option because King's Cross is so close to Camden (at a stretch it's walking distance in a late-night emergency!) but if you do choose Luton, get one of the complimentary buses down to Luton Parkway station, rather than getting a taxi (v expensive airport surcharge) into the town centre rail station.

Thanks for all the info and welcome! ;)

We arrive at Luton airport but the return is from Gatwick one, so we can’t use that return ticket. I think we’ll choose to go with the easy-jet bus though it takes more than an hour to get to the city center... or we'll buy a one-way ticket train from Luton to Kings Cross.. we'll see there.

And now that you mention the tube, which is the best ticket option if we're going to stay there 3 days and we're only going to travel around the city centre? I’ve been to London twice but never known which ticket to buy and always ended up buying a single ticket for everyday! :eek:

Regarding tube ticket options, I'd recommend you to get Oyster card.
You'll find out about it from Roundhouse: London directory thread.

If you need to get to/from Gatwick airport, there is a cheaper option than the Gatwick express. You can get a 'normal' train from/to the airport at Clapham Junction or Kensington Olympia. I think it's around £11 return. £7 one way.

If you need to get to/from Gatwick airport, there is a cheaper option than the Gatwick express. You can get a 'normal' train from/to the airport at Clapham Junction or Kensington Olympia. I think it's around £11 return. £7 one way.

Hmmm...it depends where TCG's hotel/hostel is located.
Those stations do not have a lift, it would be easier to catch Gatwick Express or travelling by coach from Victoria.

Back
Top Bottom