What's your favourite Morrissey support act?

The best Moz support-act

• Phranc

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • The Planet Rockers

• Gallon Drunk

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Big Sandy and the Fly-Rite Boys

• Marion

• Elcka

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Smoking Popes

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Sack

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • King Cheetah

• Damien Dempsey

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Kristeen Young

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • Sons and Daughters

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Other...

Votes: 11 15.9%

• Total voters

Johan de Witt

Well, some of us must be old enough to remember the days when Kristeen didn't open for Moz. So what is your favourite opening act of yore?
Or is it Kristeen?

I've only listed the acts that supported Moz on at least 10 dates.

Without a doubt it was Damien Dempsey as his career goes fron strength to strength

cossy

Without doubt - Gallon Drunk.

One of the greatest live bands i've ever seen. Saw them again only a few weeks ago and they are still great. New album ain't half bad either!

I had to choose "Other," as my two favourite acts have been local (Boston) openers on the Oye Esteban tour, The Sheila Divine (who have since broken up and been re-born as Dear Leader); and current openers Girl In A Coma, of whom I am now a HUGE fan.

Of the other choices, my favourite was Kristeen Young.

--jeniphir

Last edited:
Franz Ferdinand...Or was that my imagination? Maybe just some weird men in skinny ties, skinny jeans, skinny hair and skinny eyes

The Libertines and PJ Harvey are missing from the options.

Franz Ferdinand was great at Man Arena gig in 2004.

The Libertines and PJ Harvey are missing from the options.

Franz Ferdinand was great at Man Arena gig in 2004.
:eek: How could you miss out Polly Jean!!! Queen Polly!?! The Pollyster?!!?...etc...etc...You get the gist :D

Johan explicitly said he only included acts that had supported Morrissey on at least 10 occasions.... this was so he didn't have to admit that The Boyfriends were the best band he's ever seen :D:D:D

P.S CAN ANYBODY READ????

Gallon Drunk, great band, never saw them open for Morrissey, but
I definately know their music, I liked them a lot

btw Johan, is Big Sandy that group who opened for Morrissey in 92
Dusseldorf
[was it Lynn Boorer's band?]

they were booéd from the stage, and one lady acted like a real whore,
she bended over, back to the crowd, and put her skirt up, I don't
tell ya more , but I tell ya she didn't had knickers on :eek:

panties yes

btw Johan, is Big Sandy that group who opened for Morrissey in 92
Dusseldorf
[was it Lynn Boorer's band?]

No Big Sandy And His Fly-Rite Boys opened for Moz on the second leg of the North-American tour in 1992.
They're a rockabilly group, and are still very much an active force in music:
http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/big_sandy_and_his_fly_rite_boys

The group we saw supporting Moz in Dusseldorf were called The Well-Oiled Sisters. I'm glad I didn't have to include them in this poll :)

Johan explicitly said he only included acts that had supported Morrissey on at least 10 occasions.... this was so he didn't have to admit that The Boyfriends were the best band he's ever seen :D:D:D

P.S CAN ANYBODY READ????

Yes, fortunately no Boyfriends indeed :)
And no PJ Harvey, Libertines, Franz Ferdinand, Shins, Dears, McAlmont either or any of the other 30 plus support acts Morrissey has had.
Polls here only give you 15 options, unfortunately...

As for the results of now I'm really surprised by the lack of votes for Sack. I really enjoyed them on the Oye Esteban-tour. Same goes for Marion on the Boxers-tour.
Gallon Drunk are great too, but I never saw them supporting Moz.

i read that pj harvey was the support act on a few uk dates in 2004
how was the reaction to her? muted and disinterested as always when it comes to a support act at mozzers concerts?

hope not she wrote some great songs ...

I noticed that Big Sandy and the Fly-Rite boys are doing a kids' concert at the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago in February.

Oh, and I've only seen KristeenYoung and Girl in a Coma, so I'm not voting.

I've seen Big Sandy once or twice, had no idea they'd ever opened for Moz. They would have been worlds better than Ms. Young.

franz ferdinand

I like some of the stuff that Gallon Drunk plays...but as far as opening act that really seems to pair well with Moz, I have to go Damo all the wayo.

It's a tie between Sack and Phranc for me. Ultimately I voted for Sack because I listened to Sack years before they ever opened for Morrissey. "What Did the Xtians Ever Do for Us?" is one of the best singles ever.

Thank Moz for introducing me to Phranc! I'll never forget the sweltering summer day I first saw her (it's the day they shot the photo of Phranc, Moz, Gary, and Alain all topless).

Back
Top Bottom