Smiths/Moz/Marr ebay fakes

Ben Chill

Not sure which category to put this in, I'm sure Kewpie or other will attend to it.

Recently a printed sheet of music for 'Everyday Is Like Sunday' appeared on ebay bearing the 'signatures' of Morrissey and Johnny Marr.
Both signatures were fake.
There are many similar items still on sale, be warned.

Johnny Marr has confirmed this with me today.

Also beware of guitars that are sold as having belonged to Johnny.

Not sure which category to put this in, I'm sure Kewpie or other will attend to it.

Recently a printed sheet of music for 'Everyday Is Like Sunday' appeared on ebay bearing the 'signatures' of Morrissey and Johnny Marr.
Both signatures were fake.
There are many similar items still on sale, be warned.

Johnny Marr has confirmed this with me today.

Also beware of guitars that are sold as having belonged to Johnny.

It's really laughable. Some of them are so bad, you wonder why they even try. Let some other gullible saps have them, or go round to the sellers' houses and poo through their letter-box.

Peter

Always ask for a certificate of authenticity. ;)

If you sent Morrissey a check maybe he would sign it.

Always ask for a certificate of authenticity. ;)

If you sent Morrissey a check maybe he would sign it.

Certificates of authenticity generally aren't worth the paper they are written on. Anyone can produce them, it doesn't make the signature anymore genuine. Fakes are going to be rife on placed like e-bay, especailly when you consider the amount of money signed items can fetch.

Unless you get the signature yourself or from a trusted source, then you have no way of knowing if it is genuine.

Think of the intrinsic value of the item for sale. Meaning, how much would it be worth if it wasn't signed?

"Sheet music" is just printed up. It has no value by itself. So, the cost to create a fake is negligable.

Signed guitars are usually signed on the pick guard. Which can be removed and replaced, and can cost only $5. So what seems like an intrinsically valuable item really isn't.

Now if you were making fakes, would you do a fake signature on the French "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" 7"? Most likely, no.

Certificates of authenticity generally aren't worth the paper they are written on. Anyone can produce them, it doesn't make the signature anymore genuine. Fakes are going to be rife on placed like e-bay, especailly when you consider the amount of money signed items can fetch.

Unless you get the signature yourself or from a trusted source, then you have no way of knowing if it is genuine.

100% correct. COA's mean almost nothing. You'll find tons of Tiger Woods autographed golf balls on ePay w/ COA's, except the problem is that he does NOT sign golf balls.

The only sure bet way to get an autograph is from a reputable (not ePay) dealer or someone whom you deeply trust.

Trust the Steiner name for Sports Memorabillia.

Back
Top Bottom