Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Nope, file alongside Sasquatch, Loch Ness Monster and 911 conspiracies

Votes: 39 72.2%
  • Who cares, it's an interesting website

Votes: 12 22.2%

• Total voters

Zenith Nadir

Senõr Member
Since a vast number of people in the real world believe in numerology, astrology, and other paranormal phenomena, I assume a number of people here do too. My purely unscientific poll of the day is to find out how many Morrissey fans (since I couldn't get hold of the Windsors) think David Alice has stumbled upon a fascinating, unexplainable mystery, versus the "David Alice is slightly
crazy.gif
" school of thought.

Last edited:
i saw a thing about this on youtube. dont know if its the same person, but honeslty, i thought it was pathetic. he was making comparisons such as 'morrissey sings about an underpass in there is a light that never goes out, and diana crashed in an underpass, so he therefore was predicting her death'.

It was quite depressing to see someone take so much effort and time to do something so unbelievably pointless.

I'm surprised nobody's voted yes. If 70% of the general population believes that remarkable coincidences are nothing but the consequence of the law of large numbers - for example the amazing Lincoln/Ford assassinations story - and the remaining 30% believe in paranormal/unexplainable phenomena, I'd at least expect some votes for "yes".

I'm reading an excellent book on the subject at the moment: superstition, belief in paranormal, statistics, luck, religion, how your name affects your personality, etc.

The entire thing is just hopeless and sad. You could find endless supposed 'links' by studying the facts of the crash and Morrissey's, or anybody's lyrics. The thing that surprises me more than anything is just how much publicity has been made from this crass drivel. Boring!

Maybe a lot of sceptics listen to Morrissey?

i dont think its that! In my opinion, there is no coincidences with morrisseys lyrics and diana, the person who is doing this is deliberaltely looking for them so will latch on to the slightest similarity between the lyrics and her death. nobodys voted yes, i assume, because of this.

Of course nothing supernatural is going on, but that doesn't mean one cannot enjoy it. It is quite an impressive number of coincidences he has managed to dig up - it wouldn't be easy for anyone to match it on a random subject.

I just don't get why some people seem to get so upset about this - it's not like he's trying lure people into some cult or religion or demanding money from some bogus claim. I think it only adds to Morrissey's stature that he can write lyrics that are open to this sort of interpretation - on top of everything else.

i dont think its that! In my opinion, there is no coincidences with morrisseys lyrics and diana, the person who is doing this is deliberaltely looking for them so will latch on to the slightest similarity between the lyrics and her death. nobodys voted yes, i assume, because of this.

I may be guilty of poor choice / misuse / misunderstanding of the word sceptic. When I say sceptic, I'm extending the meaning beyond religion and into the paranormal, alien abductions, fortune telling, mediums, etc.

I've always thought that sceptic implied a person who rejects any beliefs that don't stand up to some sort of scientific scrutiny (or rational explanation). So, to use the Morrissey example, until it's proven that people can genuinely and accurately foresee/predict the future, a sceptic will say the Diana-Morrissey phenomenon is simply creative use of selective facts.

My dictionary says something quite different (the religious bit and then "a person inclined to question or doubt all accepted opinions"). So my understanding of the word sceptic is not entirely correct. In fact it might be the very opposite. Belief that people can see into the future, communicate with the dead, etc, is probably not the "accepted opinion". I'd have thought it's the minority opinion?

Whatever the definition, at least 3 people here do believe in the Morrissey Diana phenomenon. 10% of the voters. 10% of 4979 registered forum users = nearly 500 people.

I may be guilty of poor choice / misuse / misunderstanding of the word sceptic. When I say sceptic, I'm extending the meaning beyond religion and into the paranormal, alien abductions, fortune telling, mediums, etc.

I've always thought that sceptic implied a person who rejects any beliefs that don't stand up to some sort of scientific scrutiny (or rational explanation). So, to use the Morrissey example, until it's proven that people can genuinely and accurately foresee/predict the future, a sceptic will say the Diana-Morrissey phenomenon is simply creative use of selective facts.

My dictionary says something quite different (the religious bit and then "a person inclined to question or doubt all accepted opinions"). So my understanding of the word sceptic is not entirely correct. In fact it might be the very opposite. Belief that people can see into the future, communicate with the dead, etc, is probably not the "accepted opinion". I'd have thought it's the minority opinion?

Whatever the definition, at least 3 people here do believe in the Morrissey Diana phenomenon. 10% of the voters. 10% of 4979 registered forum users = nearly 500 people.

Correction. Four people. The vast majority have never seen the link or had any desire to click on it.

A sceptic instinctively or habitually doubts, questions, or disagrees with assertions or generally accepted conclusions.

Of course nothing supernatural is going on, but that doesn't mean one cannot enjoy it. It is quite an impressive number of coincidences he has managed to dig up - it wouldn't be easy for anyone to match it on a random subject.

I just don't get why some people seem to get so upset about this - it's not like he's trying lure people into some cult or religion or demanding money from some bogus claim. I think it only adds to Morrissey's stature that he can write lyrics that are open to this sort of interpretation - on top of everything else.

i agree its good that people can interpret morrisseys lyrics in different ways, as you said, it only confirms what a good lyricist he is. But to suggest that he was predicting a death? its just too far-fetched for me! ;)

I thought The Heartbreakers predicted her death when they wrote Born To Lose.

76-BreakersColor.jpg

I haven't read the Morrissey - Diana thing for a long time.

Sometimes things that just occur to people, like song lyrics, do seem to have some meaning beyond their original intent, whether the person was conscious of it or not. It's also true that if you are clever and paranoid you can find the things that match your theory and ignore, not even, see the things that disprove it.

I would give this guy credit for coming up with some references that seem pretty obscure to me, but I am sure that if any of this is "true" it is a coincidence.

Wait! You forgot a poll option! I want to vote that

"Morrissey knowingly or unknowingly CAUSED the death of Princess Diana via cues and clues placed into his body of work which influenced the cosmos and brought about this unspeakable tragedy."

So there. ;)

If 70% of the general population believes that remarkable coincidences are nothing but the consequence of the law of large numbers - for example the amazing Lincoln/Ford assassinations story - and the remaining 30% believe in paranormal/unexplainable phenomena, I'd at least expect some votes for "yes".

This kind of assumes that he has presented a good case that this was what he says it was. A person can believe in various paranormal phenomena, but it doesn't mean they believe ANYTHING. By lumping everything other than "the consequence of the law of numbers" into the 30% category, you are essentially just saying that 30% will believe anything.
I can believe that certain paranormal phenomena occurs, yet think this guy is nutso.

That guy is totally goofy. If he thinks Moz intentionally wrote about Diana's impending death, then someone should be able to ask him. If he thinks Moz predicted it unconsciously, then you could make an analogous claim about ANYTHING he wrote. It's totally unfalsifiable.

Back
Top Bottom