greedy nappy headed ho

bored

not bitter but bored
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2974970

This whole thing was so stupid. Now it is stupid times 100.

I was watching "Everbody Hates Chris" and Whoopie Goldberg said of a young Chris Rock, "I better not see that nappy headed kid near my daugther."

Since the key term in the Imus case was nappy headed and Whoopie can use it everyone else should just get over themselves.

All this entire thing did was make "Nappy headed ho" a funny expression and I can't avoid thinking it when I hear about Rutgers.

If these young ladies had taken better care of their hair, they wouldn't be called "nappy" in the first place. It's called a brush, girls.

So this (white) sports reporter calls a (black) basket ball player/s a "nappy headed ho". Why did he use both terms to describe her, because they/she is black and female, this indicates that the these words were used to deface her character in sexist and racist terms.
He used the words for a racial and gender slur. Good luck to her:)

Last edited:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2974970

This whole thing was so stupid. Now it is stupid times 100.

I was watching "Everbody Hates Chris" and Whoopie Goldberg said of a young Chris Rock, "I better not see that nappy headed kid near my daugther."

Since the key term in the Imus case was nappy headed and Whoopie can use it everyone else should just get over themselves.

All this entire thing did was make "Nappy headed ho" a funny expression and I can't avoid thinking it when I hear about Rutgers.

the point is that imus is a rich white dude and the vast majority of his listeners are also white or conservative hispanics lol so you know it aint that cool. hes got guns. hes a gross dude im glad he lost his job. i hope snoop beats him up in front some tmz cameras.

the point is that imus is a rich white dude and the vast majority of his listeners are also white or conservative hispanics lol so you know it aint that cool. hes got guns. hes a gross dude im glad he lost his job. i hope snoop beats him up in front some tmz cameras.

werd!

But seriously, here's the real question. Does Whoopie saying it make it alright for Don Imus to say it? Context is key. No word has any meaning other than that meaning we agree it has, and the way it exists in relationship to other words.

Reality is subjective and the words we use to describe it form and shape it at least for ourselves as individuals.

I can't help pointing out tht Whoopie Goldberg is hardly the one to go to when you're discussing racial issues. Remember when she was with Ted Danson and the two of them thought it would be cute for him to appear in blackface?
"Danson, who starred opposite Goldberg in Made In America, cut loose with a barrage of sexual jokes, most of which dealt with Black stereotypes, and he used the term "n*****" more than a dozen times during the evening."
Whoopie's take on this?
"She pointed out that she helped write much of the material he used during the roasting and she also helped secure the make-up artist who painted his face."

Ted Danson said: "Words by themselves are not racist. Racism is a matter of intent. My intent was to amuse my dear friend, Whoopi, in what I thought was the privacy of the Friars Club.

"Words by themselves are not racist". That's an interesting way to look at it. But as a society we have agreed that certain words are negative and derogatory when spoken freely in public, and yet when spoken among people that know each other's intent they might be "amusing". Some people have a very difficult time understanding this.

Another way to look at it is that "nappy" hair is just a way to describe a particular condition, but calling someone a nappy headed ho is derogatory and demeaning. Same for many, many words.

For me, humor is judged mostly on whether or not it is actually funny. A lot of "offensive" "humor" is neither truly offensive nor humorous. It's just boring. But you can't sue someone for being boring. And we do live our lives according to what the lawyers and insurance companies tell us, so if this woman wins some of Don Imus' money and this causes some other idiot to think twice about what they say on television, radio, or print, in order to get a cheap racist laugh, then I'm all for it.

It shouldn't just apply to wealthy white males though. Everyone should think about what they are saying. With freedom comes responsibility. Words can be quite powerful, but not when you place a low value on the things you say by making stupid remarks.

It's interesting that this is connected to Chris Rock because I think he is very funny and the reason is because a lot of what he says is both "offensive" and honest. I don't think you'll ever see him saying he didn't mean something he said and was "just joking".

Anyway, if you're going to go around saying stupid things you're not going to be any kind of leader and you're not going to have any real respect. You'll be looked at as a fool, and maybe if you're lucky, a clown, but when the act wears thin, you'll just be a bore, like Don Imus. So he's really no one to emulate. In my opinion.

There's actually a kids book and video called "Happy to be Nappy," which predates the Imus thing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435657/

It's interesting that imdb thinks if you like that video you'll like The Times of Harvey Milk.

the big thing about the nappy part is that was considered a racist comment. i think any race can have nappy hair and it was said as a joke..

"they got some hard core hos on that team" - mcguirk
"some nappy headed hos" - imus

personally, i think its funny.
the idea was supposed to be funny.
you mileage may vary on what you find funny but a lawsuit over a joke about a group of people is frivolous in my mind.

i wouldn't sue someone if they said on tv that i was an evil little wop.

the big thing about the nappy part is that was considered a racist comment. i think any race can have nappy hair and it was said as a joke..

"they got some hard core hos on that team" - mcguirk
"some nappy headed hos" - imus

personally, i think its funny.
the idea was supposed to be funny.
you mileage may vary on what you find funny but a lawsuit over a joke about a group of people is frivolous in my mind.

i wouldn't sue someone if they said on tv that i was an evil little wop.

the only reason he used that terminology is cuz words like "ho" and "nappy" are in our vernacular now, thanks to rap music. i call my best friends "ho" as a term of endearment. not that he meant it in that way, but its the same way "bitch" has lost its negative connotation in alot of instances. he was trying to be funny but it wasnt funny cuz he was like an old white guy trying to sound hip. i dont think he meant to be racist at all. i could see the players getting a little pissed about it, but i think they milked it for all it was worth. they probably wouldnt have even heard about it if it wasnt for Al Sharpton. they got up there during that press conference and said that those words were so damaging that they were scarred for life. and the ridiculous thing is, i bet if you borrowed any one of those girls' ipods they wouldve had countless rap and hip hop tracks that used alot more degrading phrases then "nappy" and "ho's". so its okay for a black artist to call women of his own race ho's and other derogatory and sexist phrases, and have half naked barely legal girls in their videos all grinding up on them, but when a stupid old white guy makes a bad joke on the air, he's suddenly the devil?

the only reason he used that terminology is cuz words like "ho" and "nappy" are in our vernacular now, thanks to rap music. i call my best friends "ho" as a term of endearment. not that he meant it in that way, but its the same way "bitch" has lost its negative connotation in alot of instances. he was trying to be funny but it wasnt funny cuz he was like an old white guy trying to sound hip. i dont think he meant to be racist at all. i could see the players getting a little pissed about it, but i think they milked it for all it was worth. they probably wouldnt have even heard about it if it wasnt for Al Sharpton. they got up there during that press conference and said that those words were so damaging that they were scarred for life. and the ridiculous thing is, i bet if you borrowed any one of those girls' ipods they wouldve had countless rap and hip hop tracks that used alot more degrading phrases then "nappy" and "ho's". so its okay for a black artist to call women of his own race ho's and other derogatory and sexist phrases, and have half naked barely legal girls in their videos all grinding up on them, but when a stupid old white guy makes a bad joke on the air, he's suddenly the devil?

i think the really annoying thing is these women could walk into my office and tell me their names and i'd have no idea who these people are.

they act like damage has been done but if anything they got extra publicity. women's college sports are totally irrelevant.

i agree that ho does not, in this case mean prostitute as the story says.. it's a term that just means woman unless your pimpin'.

i guess for his joke, losing his job, facing every interview and donating money to rutgers isn't enough.. why? because she didn't get a share.

hahaha, just go to youtube and type in "Ludacris" or "young Jeezy" or the name of whoever the kids are listening to these days. you'll see plenty! ;)

"the kids are listening to these days". wot are you, in yer 50s or something!

ho is a term that means woman?

There are a lot of double standards regarding who can say what and it's considered acceptable. But that doesn't mean that we should all get in the gutter.

Obviously Don Imus was not saying that these women are prostitutes.

Courts are supposed to decide actual damages of which there may not have been any. Courts can also decide punitive damages. I think that's completely subjective.

Really I don't care about this story, but when I read this discussion, it's hard not to respond.

In a nutshell, Don Imus is a narrow-minded conservative bigot who didn't deserve to be on the radio in the first place. So let's allow the guy to get on with the retirement he should have taken about three decades ago. Maybe he'll get a presidential pardon in '08...live on The Al Sharpton Show... :(

Coiff.

Back
Top Bottom