Richard Hawley's Audition for Morrissey's Band

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
In the current WORD (see main page, which just about covers Marr's interview, as well as irking him about a reformation), there's a sweet little story about Richard Hawley (whose new single is an absolute belter IMHO), and the time he auditioned for Morrissey's band. In an interview to promote his new album (Lady's Bridge) and single (Tonight The Streets Are Ours), there's this little paragraph:

"From Healey Bottom, the only way was up. But first, a date with Morrissey. In the early years of his solo career, the ex-Smiths singer summoned Richard for an audition - he remembered Hawley's playing on the Treebound Story track Swimming In The Heart Of Jane. Alongside the studio jam, Richard chose to demonstrate his backing-vocal ability with a rendition of Elvis's One Night. 'Morrissey just asked me why I was singing,' says Hawley. 'I don't think he was impressed.'"

Peter

P.S There's a very nice portrait of Marr in this issue, taken by Perou, the same chap who took those moody portraits of Morrissey in Rome. I'll scan it later if I get the chance.

Last edited:
Richard chose to demonstrate his backing-vocal ability with a rednition of Elvis's One Night. 'Morrissey just asked me why I was singing,' says Hawley. 'I don't think he was impressed.'"

Ouch! :o Awkward city

Here's that Marr photo by Perou, from WORD

1063517679_c979a0bdd4_o.jpg

Auditioning for Moz... that makes me think of the scene in Shallow Grave where they are "auditioning" flatmates and being utterly brutally mean to them. lol

Shallow Grave, yes! Poor Cameron. "We just don't think you're cool enough to be our flatmate."

Wait- wasn't there a Mozclone in that sequence, too? It's been on a lot lately, but I keep coming in at the benefit dance where they encounter Cameron again.

I don't remember a MozClone, but it's been a few years since I've seen the film. I love Ewan MacGregor in that. What channel is it being shown on?

P.S. Their dead, naked flatmate is Lily Allen's dad, but I'm sure you probably knew that already.

I saw Richard Hawley for the first time supporting Nancy Sinatra in Munich 2 years ago, a great musician, fabulous songwriter...and such a sweet chap (very TALL).

There is another, more detailed article on his 1991 audition for Morrissey in the Q/Mojo Smiths/Moz Special Edition from 2004 - I guess most of you know it already. If not I'll scan it tomorrow.

No, I didn't know that! Lily Allen seems more like someone whose family owned a chipshop.

I think it's been in rotation on IFC- Independent Film Channel.

I saw Richard Hawley for the first time supporting Nancy Sinatra in Munich 2 years ago, a great musician, fabulous songwriter...and such a sweet chap (very TALL).

There is another, more detailed article on his 1991 audition for Morrissey in the Q/Mojo Smiths/Moz Special Edition from 2004 - I guess most of you know it already. If not I'll scan it tomorrow.

Of course! I knew I'd seen it before. If you don't scan it before tomorrow, I'll do it.

Nighty night. Well just not yet.

Peter

Here's Keith and what's-'er-name:
lily-keith-allen.jpg

Here's the little bit from the Q-Special about Richard Hawley's meeting with Morrissey that Walker's Crisp referred to.

1073933984_1e1d2c5296_b.jpg

Again, looks like I bollocksed-up the rezising, so the text is a bit small. Sorry about that. And it's on the right. I must be rushing things.

Peter

It's lovely, Peter - thanks very much!

Morrissey's loss quite frankly. "This Is Hardcore" is a great Pulp album. Glad Richard teamed up with Jarvis.

In the current WORD (see main page, which just about covers Marr's interview, as well as irking him about a reformation), there's a sweet little story about Richard Hawley (whose new single is an absolute belter IMHO), and the time he auditioned for Morrissey's band. In an interview to promote his new album (Lady's Bridge) and single (Tonight The Streets Are Ours), there's this little paragraph:

"From Healey Bottom, the only way was up. But first, a date with Morrissey. In the early years of his solo career, the ex-Smiths singer summoned Richard for an audition - he remembered Hawley's playing on the Treebound Story track Swimming In The Heart Of Jane. Alongside the studio jam, Richard chose to demonstrate his backing-vocal ability with a rendition of Elvis's One Night. 'Morrissey just asked me why I was singing,' says Hawley. 'I don't think he was impressed.'"

Peter

P.S There's a very nice portrait of Marr in this issue, taken by Perou, the same chap who took those moody portraits of Morrissey in Rome. I'll scan it later if I get the chance.

Wasn't this story in The Severed Alliance or one of the other books?
It's been such long time since i read any of those books.

Just watched the video for Hawley's new song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBkrs4YpzI

I like Hawley -- he's a talented singer/songwriter (with good hair), but tell me that when the song strikes up (as well as the outro) you can't imagine Moz crooning over it!

Go on the Mozzer, give him another chance!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom