Favourite Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes

The Cat's Mother

Unmentionable
Inspired by the Soup thread, I thought it might be interesting to have a thread for exchanging veggie recipes. I'll start you off with my sauce for Bolognese or Lasagne.

Kate's Bolognese Sauce.

My quantities are based on feeding about ten people (teenagers generally demand seconds and then thirds), so you might want to halve or quarter the measurements accordingly.

Peel and finely slice two large onions. Place in a large saucepan with some olive oil and fry the onions slowly until they are soft and golden brown. Never try to rush this; the flavour of the dish really benefits from the onions being allowed to caramelise a bit.

Add about four cloves of crushed or finely chopped garlic and a handful of fresh, finely chopped herbs; rosemary, thyme and oregano/marjoram. Cook gently for another few minutes. Do not allow the garlic to 'catch', or the flavour will be ruined. Add three or four bayleaves.

Add a 450g pack of frozen soya mince. Realet is the original brand, but both ASDA and Morrisons now sell their own. I prefer Morrisons, as ASDA's is sometimes (not always) prone to crumble down to a sludge. Stir in the mince and fry gently for a few more minutes.

Add two 400g tins of chopped tomatoes, including juice, and a 500g carton of passata.

Wash, slice and stir in 250-300g unpeeled mushrooms.

Add three or four teaspoons (or more if liked) of mushroom ketchup, a generous tablespoonful of (either plain or sundried tomato) pesto and a twist of black pepper (or more if you're a black pepper fan, which I'm not) You shouldn't need to add salt, as there is salt in some of the ingredients.

Stir well and leave to simmer very gently for half to three-quarters of an hour, stirring periodically. Do not leave it to boil rapidly, as the mince may disintegrate and this will impair the texture of the sauce. It's important not to overcook this dish, so if you are using the sauce in a lasagne, reduce the cooking time a little, as the sauce will cook further in the oven. Similarly, if you are making the sauce to eat the next day (and IMHO the flavour improves if the sauce is left in the fridge overnight), go easy on the initial cooking because you'll be reheating it thoroughly to serve.

Guess what we're having for dinner.....:)

mmmmmmmmmmmmm! I have a quite similar one:

veggie chili.

peela dn chop one onion and a fresh pepper. Fry in a non stick saucepan in a little oil until just soft, with 1 chopped fresh chili (less if you don't like spice)

put some dried soya mince in a bowl, add half a stock cube and barely cover in water. Put a plate n top and leave for 1 minute. Add the the onions with some chopped garlic (one clove)

Add tumeric, cumin and corriander (all powdered or fresh if you have it) and fry for a couple of minutes.

Add a couple of chopped tomatos, and a hand full of chopped mushrooms.

Add a tin of mixed beans in mild chili sauce, a stock cube of your choice, creamed tomatos/passata, some sweetcorn and tomato puree to make a nice, thick sauce and simmer for at least 30 minutes.

Great with rice or in wraps! I make double, leave half in the fridge and put in a lasagna the next day!

Very simple and tasty Veg Green Curry.

Chop onion, cougette, carrot, mashrooms, broccoli, pepper etc.

Heat the frying pan, pour veg oil and chopped garlic.

Add above veg and stir fry for few minutes.

Dilute green curry paste with veg soup stock or just water.

Add green curry paste, coconut milk, lemongrass, lime juice to stir fried veg, simmer for five to ten minutes.

Served with basmati or Thai rice.

Yum!! :)

Very simple and tasty Veg Green Curry.

Chop onion, cougette, carrot, mashrooms, broccoli, pepper etc.

Heat the frying pan, pour veg oil and chopped garlic.

Add above veg and stir fry for few minutes.

Dilute green curry paste with veg soup stock or just water.

Add green curry paste, coconut milk, lemongrass, lime juice to stir fried veg, simmer for five to ten minutes.

Served with basmati or Thai rice.

Yum!! :)
mmmmmmmmmmmm! i'm trying that! Do you have a recipe for home made green curry paste Kewpie?

Veg Miso Soup(serving four portions)

If you're lucky enough to live in a town where sells Japanese food, you can cook lovely soup.
Some Sainsbury's branches also sell those ingridients.

- dried sea kelp (one sheet) or dried shiitake (mashroom, two or three)
- miso (soya bean paste) 80g
- pinch of salt
- chopped spring onion 10g
- chopped wakame (sea weed) 10g
- chopped tofu (optional) 20g

Pour 650ml water and dried sea kelp or shiitake in a bowl and leave about 30 minutes.
Remove sea kelp from the bowl, put the broth in a source pan and boil.

If you use shiitake, you can chop them and cook as well.

When the pan is boiling, turn off the cooker.
Use a tea strainer to dilute miso in the broth.
(I'd recommend you to use a tea strainer because there'll be some lees after diluting miso)

Add chopped wakame and spring onion. :)

If you don't like wakame, you can add some finely chopped potatoes, carrots, onions or spinach.

Roughly 1 potion of miso soup needs 20g of miso and 160ml water.

Last edited:
Daft!Lads' Rice Pudding

So easy any Daft!Lad can make it. As my Big Daft Son is demonstrating at this very moment. Except he's making double because he is 16, built like Jarvis Cocker and exists in a state of constant hunger.

600ml (1 pint) Milk
50g (2oz) Pudding Rice
15g (½oz) Butter
1 and a half tbsp Sugar
¼ tsp Ground Nutmeg

Pre-heat oven to 170°C: 325°F: Gas 3.
Place the milk, rice, butter and sugar and some of the nutmeg into a greased 1.1 litre (2 pint) oven-proof dish.
Place into the oven. Bake for about 2 hours; remember to stir 2 or 3 times during the first hour of cooking and sprinkle with the remaining nutmeg before returning it to the oven for the final hour.

Continue cooking until a golden brown crust has formed. Remove from oven, your frazzled mother reminding you in the nick of time that you need oven gloves. Wait impatiently for pudding to be cool enough to eat without burning your tongue off. Attempt to sneak the entire pudding dish up to your bedroom. Become indignant when your mother insists you share the pudding with your siblings. Disappear when it's time to clean up the mess you've made.

Daft!Lads' Rice Pudding

So easy any Daft!Lad can make it. As my Big Daft Son is demonstrating at this very moment. Except he's making double because he is 16, built like Jarvis Cocker and exists in a state of constant hunger.

600ml (1 pint) Milk
50g (2oz) Pudding Rice
15g (½oz) Butter
1 and a half tbsp Sugar
¼ tsp Ground Nutmeg

Pre-heat oven to 170°C: 325°F: Gas 3.
Place the milk, rice, butter and sugar and some of the nutmeg into a greased 1.1 litre (2 pint) oven-proof dish.
Place into the oven. Bake for about 2 hours; remember to stir 2 or 3 times during the first hour of cooking and sprinkle with the remaining nutmeg before returning it to the oven for the final hour.

Continue cooking until a golden brown crust has formed. Remove from oven, your frazzled mother reminding you in the nick of time that you need oven gloves. Wait impatiently for pudding to be cool enough to eat without burning your tongue off. Attempt to sneak the entire pudding dish up to your bedroom. Become indignant when your mother insists you share the pudding with your siblings. Disappear when it's time to clean up the mess you've made.
haha! I love home made rice pudding!

I don't know the recipe..but it's basically portabello mushroom soaked in veggie teryaki sauce for about 15 min and then grilled. Nothing tastes better. Nothing!!!

Also, my mom makes the best soy burgers ever. They're so delicious, but I don't know what she puts in them. My guess is- random vegetables, soy chunks, beans, veggie cheese.

Veg Miso Soup(serving four portions)

If you're lucky enough to live in a town where sells Japanese food, you can cook lovely soup.
Some Sainsbury's branches also sell those ingridients.

- dried sea kelp (one sheet) or dried shiitake (mashroom, two or three)
- miso (soya bean paste) 80g
- pinch of salt
- chopped spring onion 10g
- chopped wakame (sea weed) 10g
- chopped tofu (optional) 20g

Pour 650ml water and dried sea kelp or shiitake in a bowl and leave about 30 minutes.
Remove sea kelp from the bowl, put the broth in a source pan and boil.

If you use shiitake, you can chop them and cook as well.

When the pan is boiling, turn off the cooker.
Use a tea strainer to dilute miso in the broth.
(I'd recommend you to use a tea strainer because there'll be some lees after diluting miso)

Add chopped wakame and spring onion. :)

If you don't like wakame, you can add some finely chopped potatoes, carrots, onions or spinach.

Roughly 1 potion of miso soup needs 20g of miso and 160ml water.

Yummy!!! There was a time in my life when all I ate was miso soup! I might revisit that time after reading this recipe!

I don't know the recipe..but it's basically portabello mushroom soaked in veggie teryaki sauce for about 15 min and then grilled. Nothing tastes better. Nothing!!!

Also, my mom makes the best soy burgers ever. They're so delicious, but I don't know what she puts in them. My guess is- random vegetables, soy chunks, beans, veggie cheese.

Hahaha... I bet she's got a secret ingredient! B E E F

If you're in the US, there is a really good black bean burger on the menu at Chili's. But you have to ask for it in some places, it's not always on the menu.

I love rice pudding. My best recipe is from my friend who was born and raised in Belfast- but we used to be able to get a smashingly good one in our grocery stores. I can't find it anymore- I should go to the Irish grocery store down the street- I bet they have it.

Hahaha... I bet she's got a secret ingredient! B E E F

If you're in the US, there is a really good black bean burger on the menu at Chili's. But you have to ask for it in some places, it's not always on the menu.

I love rice pudding. My best recipe is from my friend who was born and raised in Belfast- but we used to be able to get a smashingly good one in our grocery stores. I can't find it anymore- I should go to the Irish grocery store down the street- I bet they have it.

I am going to sound paranoid (but then again, I wrote A LOT of weird things on this forum already, so it's ok) but I have a really hard time eating veggie burgers in restaurants that serve meat. One time I was accidentally given a flesh burger. I discovered this, thankfully, before I bit into it. But the fact that it looks like meat really scares me. I am also always paranoid that a flesh particle might end up in my food (once it did...and I left a nice trail of puke from my table to the washroom...that's how much I can't stand flesh..the manager appologized etc etc..and the people a table away thought I was crazy as they stuffed their ignorant faces with some poor animal's ribs..but imagine eating your vegan pad thai noodles, biting into something fleshy, spitting out in your napkin only to realize it's a chicken's body part.....sppeewwww) so I try to avoid restaurants that serve meat or at least try to order something that I know could not have been contaminated.

But maybe I will try that burger at Chili's when I am in the US. I'll tip them nicely and maybe they'll be sympathetic.

I will definately have to make some miso soup.
I love hot and sour soup, but never tried miso.

Perhaps you should come have some with me!
;)

I have this giant thing of miso paste in my freezer but I never had any idea what to do with it!

Miso is very versatile ingridient.
You can make nice salad dressing (20g miso, some olive oil, vineger or mirin(sweet rice wine), lemon or lime juice. If you like it hot add some wasabi or chili).

Miso Flavour Risotto (serving four)

- finely chopped vegetables (1/2 of large carrot, onion, cougette, peppers etc, sweet corn 20g, greenbeans 30 g )
- cooked rice 800g
- miso 80g
- veg cube stock 1
- water 400ml
- hijiki (dried sea weed)10g *optional
- soya mince 20g *optional

Stir fry vegetables in a pan for few minutes.

Dilute miso and veg cube stock with water, pour it using a tea strainer in the pan of stir fried veg and add rice and soya mince.

(using a tea strainer is to prevent miso lees in the pan)

Cook tender heat for 10 minutes with the lid on, stir occasionally.

If you'd like to add hijiki, soak it for 5 minutes in water and dry before put the above. :)

Last edited:
Miso is very versatile ingridient.
You can make nice salad dressing (20g miso, some olive oil, vineger or mirin(sweet rice wine), lemon or lime juice. If you like it hot add some wasabi or chili).

Miso Flavour Risotto (serving four)

- finely chopped vegetables (1/2 of small carrot, onion, cougette, peppers etc, sweet corn 20g, greenbeans 30 g )
- cooked rice 450g
- miso 50g
- veg cube stock 1
- water 300ml
- hijiki (dried sea weed)10g *optional
- soya mince 20g *optional

Stir fry vegetables in a pan for few minutes.

Dilute miso and veg cube stock with water, pour it using a tea strainer in the pan of stir fried veg and add rice and soya mince.

(using a tea strainer is to prevent miso lees in the pan)

Cook tender heat for 10 minutes with the lid on, stir occasionally.

If you'd like to add hijiki, soak it for 5 minutes in water and dry before put the above. :)

You're a madwoman :eek: I'm making this today!!! :D I can't guarantee that it will serve four, though.:o

Tags
i'm so hungry
Back
Top Bottom