Unsignificant facts Morrissey-related

the judge

This thread is for Morrissey-related things no one cares about. ;)

Last week with the Italian newspaper "la gazzetta dello sport" it was available a compilation, 12 or 14 tracks - I don't remember - and First Of The Gang To Die among them. Morrissey was one of the 4 "big" artists listed on the sleeve.

The section of the Temple University Alumni Association's magazine that updates readers on what graduates have been up to is named "Alma Matters".

According to my itunes

The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils is M-solo's longest album track. @ 11m20s
Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together is his shortest @ 1m49

(I Know Very Well How I Got My Note Wrong is 1m33, but I'm not sure if I have the full song since I don't own an original I Know Very Well... CD)

(I Know Very Well How I Got My Note Wrong is 1m33, but I'm not sure if I have the full song since I don't own an original I Know Very Well... CD)

It's 1:57--I wonder how/where yours got cut off?

According to mine, the studio version of "Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together" is the shortest, at 1:40. That doesn't count song snippets that appear in the various videos, which Stephane counts as alternate versions in his song version checklist (e.g. a 42 second snippet of "Seasick, Yet Still Docked" from Introducing Morrissey).

And, technically, the version of "Sing Your Life" on the KROQ single is the longest track, as it clocks in at 11:53, but the final 8 minutes or so are fans calling in to the radio show.

And, technically, the version of "Sing Your Life" on the KROQ single is the longest track, as it clocks in at 11:53, but the final 8 minutes or so are fans calling in to the radio show.

The Sing Your Life version on the KROQ is better than the Kill Uncle studio version IMO. In itunes you can fade it out at 3:39 - and then keep it in your playlist without having to listen the fans calling in. However you are right, technically it is the longest song :D

The Sing Your Life version on the KROQ is better than the Kill Uncle studio version IMO. In itunes you can fade it out at 3:39 - and then keep it in your playlist without having to listen the fans calling in. However you are right, technically it is the longest song :D

Damn, I forgot about iTunes being able to fade a song early--I'll have to set that up. "Sing Your Life" isn't the only song that's much better on KROQ than on album: "There's a Place in Hell..." went from being nearly unlistenable to one of my favorite Morrissey songs.

My contribution to this thread is to ask what is the difference between unsignificant and insignificant, thus is unsignificant actually a word?

love

GU

My contribution to this thread is to ask what is the difference between unsignificant and insignificant, thus is unsignificant actually a word?

love

GU

Grim, the judge is a Croatian university student who migrated in Italy with her family.
She's learning a lot. :)

love

GU
I searched the translation of the Italian word "irrilevante" and I found this one.
This is a tough question, the kind of question that pholosoohers like (I like philosohy, but I can't talk about it in dept in English).
I can't give you a satisfying answer. I think the first post in this thread is not fundamental for Morrissey knowledge, it's not about the current tour for example, you can't use it, it says nothing about Morrissey's music or Morrissey as a person etc. It's only useful for someone in Italy (better still, it could have been useful if I posted it last week).
On the other hand someone might be interested in such information (Morrissey is on a summer rock compilation in Italy with First Of The Gang, so he is popular, so it means that First Of The Gang To Die is catchy etc, something we all know), but not the majority of people. Does this mean that if something is not for everybody it's no worth posting it? Of course not. I'll stop now.

My case. I found Worm's post here useful to me. The post about the longest song and the shortest song was unsignificant (what I asked for :D) to me.

I must go to work now.

The section of the Temple University Alumni Association's magazine that updates readers on what graduates have been up to is named "Alma Matters".

That's actually a really good name for an alumni newsletter. Any idea who stole the name from whom? It's not as if "alma mater" => "alma matters" is a huge achievement in pundom that only Morrissey could have concocted.

My friend Rocio appears on that Sing Your Life version, praising Morrissey.:D

That's actually a really good name for an alumni newsletter. Any idea who stole the name from whom? It's not as if "alma mater" => "alma matters" is a huge achievement in pundom that only Morrissey could have concocted.

Turns out it's not uncommon. A Google search reveals that "Alma Matters" is used in many alumni magazines, including places like the University of Minnesota, SUNY Potsdam and Tufts. As you say, it's not a hard pun to come up with, so Morrissey probably thought of it on his own. However, his use of the pun is the most widespread, dominating the Google results for about 20 pages. So I guess he "owns" it.

Incidentally, I discovered that "Alma Matters" could have another, heretofore unexplored meaning:

"ALMA is the Atacama Large Millimetre Array. ALMA will be the largest observatory ever built operating at millimetre and submillimetre wavelengths in the world, and will provide British astronomers with dramatic new insights into the formation of stars and galaxies."​

Incidentally, I discovered that "Alma Matters" could have another, heretofore unexplored meaning:

"ALMA is the Atacama Large Millimetre Array. ALMA will be the largest observatory ever built operating at millimetre and submillimetre wavelengths in the world, and will provide British astronomers with dramatic new insights into the formation of stars and galaxies."​

Interesting. But does it matter to someone, somewhere?

It all makes sense now. Moz' sweetie is an extra-terrestrial. They've made psychic communication, but until the ET is able to come here, or Moz passes to the next plane of existence, he is doomed to walk alone. Poor Moz.

The street where Al lived when he wrote Al matters, I mean Alma matters, with Morrissey was Alma matters in Camden. You wont find that in the excellent Panic on the streets guide. Timmy Mallot lived, and quite possibly remains living, across the road from where Alain stayed. There is no connection to Al flitting but while we are being insignificant.

"It's my life to ruin my own way" is a line is from A taste of honey, which had not been done since Smiths days.

The single gave Morrissey his first top twenty hit in three years reaching number 16 in the UK singles chart but only made it to 50 in Sweden.

The uk promo video artwork was unusual for Moz as it was unusually, based on the single's artwork.

FAO GrimOGrady The difference in the definition of unsignificant and insignificant is insignificant and here is my proof: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Unsignificant

Back
Top Bottom