hearing aid days

• Thread starter Deleted member 4260
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4260

I searched through back threads and couldn't find any mention of this.
If so, sorry, post a link if you can.

What's the deal with Morrissey wearing the hearing aid way back when?

Monique

Are you sure it's not the wireless ear piece he wears in concert so he can hear the monitor?

I'm sure. I've seen some old professional photo shoots and he's wearing a hearing aid.

I'm sure. I've seen some old professional photo shoots and he's wearing a hearing aid.

Morrissey was doing it because he got a letter from a hearing impared fan..and it touched him so much..he did it as a show of support for the deaf community

It was probably just some weird prop to make people say "wtf?"

I agree with this. I have heard the 'letter from a deaf fan' scenario before but I don't think it's true. Morrissey did refer to it as 'disability chic' in an interview once.

Yes, he wore it in the "November Spawned a Monster" video. . .along with the band-aid over his nipple. I think it was some kind of mis-aimed "statement" he was trying to make relating to the content of that song, disabilities, etc. . .Just Moz being a gadfly, as per usual.

Personally, it's one of those things (along w/ the phase of being made up with fake wounds) that make me cringe a bit on his behalf. Those things seem sort of not-thought-all-the-way-through.

--jeniphir

It was initially done as an homage to Johnny Ray, who wore a hearing aid.

One of the Smiths' "insiders" (Dave Harper) explained it this way:

"Then there was the hearing aid, of course. That was the beauty of working with Scott [Piering, Smiths temporary caretaker manager]. 'I want a hearing aid. Can you get me a hearing aid?' It's not a reasonable request particularly. I got it from a hearing aid shop in the West End somewhere; a display model. I said, 'We represent a famous pop star and he's going to be on Top Of The Pops and would like to wear a hearing aid.' And they're going, 'Well, he's not taking the piss out of the deaf, is he?' And I went into a long ramble about Johnny Ray and how it was a nod to something or other. I think we were supposed to give it back, actually."

Morrissey later (1987) explained it this way:

"I never needed a hearing aid but recently I caught a serious ear infection and literally went deaf for about four weeks. Naturally I took this as retribution for wearing a hearing aid. It was hellish - four weeks of "pardon" jokes at my expense. Someone coined it as disability chic, through which The Smiths reached out to certain parts of the public who never felt they fit the perfect mould of "pop fan". There are lots of people who want to be a member of the audience, want to get involved in the music and the lifestyle but don't feel interested in the constant chase for fashion perfection that most bands inflict on their audience. Fashion has gone through periods of being completely redundant - mainly the fault of fashion magazines illustrating the things you can buy if you're dramatically, overbearingly rich, but are of no use at all to ordinary people living in humble places. I find with, for example, Comme Des Garcons clothes, their style of being quite basic but hellishly expensive is very interesting."

Here's another interview (1986) where he discusses the hearing aid and NHS spectacles:

"I mean I was ill and I said I was ill. Nobody had ever said that they were ill before. Within this beautiful sexy syndrome I popularised NHS spectacles! I didn't popularise the hearing aid, thank God that didn't catch on, but that again was one of my statements. Not a prop because that sounds like marshmallow shoes or a polka dot suit. I mean I really maintain to this day that even the whole flowers element was remarkably creative, never whacky or stupid. We can say yes Morrissey that silly old eccentric, but I think it's nice if somebody who is eccentric can break through. Everybody follows the same rules and does exactly what they're told. All modern groups state the expected - fluently, but who cares?"

Spot the difference!!

hearingaid.jpg

sing2.gif

Back
Top Bottom