Does Henry Rollins like Mozz?

luiseasy

I've just been reading one of Henry's excellent books and noted mention of Morrissey. He seems quite contradictory on whether he is a fan or not.

Can anyone confirm if Henry has made any other comment on Morrissey or The Smiths.

Ta.

I've just been reading one of Henry's excellent books and noted mention of Morrissey. He seems quite contradictory on whether he is a fan or not.

Can anyone confirm if Henry has made any other comment on Morrissey or The Smiths.

Ta.

I think he's one of those people that likes Morrissey for not being a sell-out but doesn't like his music. Just my opinion which of course has no value unless you agree with it.

I've just been reading one of Henry's excellent books and noted mention of Morrissey. He seems quite contradictory on whether he is a fan or not.Can anyone confirm if Henry has made any other comment on Morrissey or The Smiths.

I've heard him call Morrissey and The Cure depressing. I don't think this necessarily means that he doesn't at least respect Morrissey on a professional or artistic level. I don't care one way or the other. Rollins appears to be an intelligent man. He is a good story teller and I think his show on IFC is decent. His music, in my opinion, is not great.

Morrissey famously quipped that he thought Henry Rollins has a fantastic body, but he was not too sure about his "poetry." :p

Rollins obsessed over Morrissey at every opportunity, that at one point, people who noticed were starting to wonder if Rollins could be a little jealous of Morrissey's influence and the devoted following. Here's an an example of one of Rollins's "rants":

http://http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=35213&highlight=henry+rollins

It's possible he may at one time thought Morrissey was really some kind of con artist capitalizing on young people and their misery. Now, he may have decided it's better just to shut up about it because he was started to sound a little envious.

Last edited:
Rollins has been in love with Morrissey for years but is in denial about it so slags him off at every opportunity. The obsession is embarrassing for him because everyone else realises this but he is completely oblivious. :p

I’ve spoken with Rollins quite a bit over the years, and to lighten the mood have brought up Morrissey here and there. Last interview I asked him if it would end the war in Iraq, would he rather go on tour with Bono and U2, or get into a fitness program with Morrissey for six months.

He laughed and chose Moz. He said, “I really like Morrissey, and I think he’s got a great sense of humor. Someone brought me up to him once in an interview, and he said “Henry Rollins? Oh yes, he's the poet isn't he?” so I think he knows how to have a laugh about things."

Hey Whigged, Afghan Whigs fan? Anyhow, I digress.

Rollins should have Morrissey as a guest on his show. (He has a talk show on ifc.) I think having Rollins interview Mozzer would be amazing.

Someone make this happen. Thanks! :p

Hey Whigged, Afghan Whigs fan? Anyhow, I digress.

Rollins should have Morrissey as a guest on his show. (He has a talk show on ifc.) I think having Rollins interview Mozzer would be amazing.

Someone make this happen. Thanks! :p

I agree, from your lips to the producers' ears, I'm all for it. Two intelligent men who are passionate about music. It would be "My Dinner with Andre" of rock interviews; all you would need is the two men, a table with candelight, a bottle of Grey Goose and just let then rip it up for one hour.

I've met Henry Rollins. I can say, without hesitation, that he is an ASSHOLE. I really don't care what he thinks of Morrissey. His opinion means less than nothing to me.

I agree, from your lips to the producers' ears, I'm all for it. Two intelligent men who are passionate about music. It would be "My Dinner with Andre" of rock interviews; all you would need is the two men, a table with candelight, a bottle of Grey Goose and just let then rip it up for one hour.

First I just wanted it to happen.

Now m_d you make me want to be there too. :p

I've met Henry Rollins. I can say, without hesitation, that he is an ASSHOLE. I really don't care what he thinks of Morrissey. His opinion means less than nothing to me.

Interesting. When I met him (admittedly briefly) he was really sweet - a little shy even. We talked about ice cream.

Maybe you just met him on a bad day? I don't know.

My experiences with him have been 90% positive, but I would be the last one to defend any musician and the way they are. But the fact is, they can’t be on, engaging, or all smiles every moment of every day. They have shit days like you and me.

That said, I have met a couple of people who I thought were complete assholes as well, and have had to Jedi mind trick myself into subscribing to the “everyone has bad days” line of thought, lest my feelings towards them be forever tarnished.

WOW. That would be great. I think Rollins tapes in LA, so Morrissey would have to make his way back to the West Coast for it to happen.

First I just wanted it to happen.

Now m_d you make me want to be there too. :p

That's a sweet request. However as a self-appointed producer of this particular show, :p I feel a studio audience would only distract Morrissey. When I see him on shows like this, he doesn't know whether to look at the camera, the audience or address the host. So, the less distractions, the better.

I would set up the the studio in black curtains. I would paint a high platform in black with minimum light so to make the table and chairs look like their levitating in mid air when they go to sit down and talk. I may want some soft piano playing some Johnny Mathis in the background, just to ease some of the tension, but not that much.

Mid way through the Grey Goose, the subject of US punk vs UK punk will real its ugly head and the argument is eventually settled when the table gets violently flipped over. This inspires a great strong man contest between the two men as to who can kick the set props the furthest. Cut to commercial. When the camera is cued, the last seven minutes is devoted to Morrissey and Rollins arm and arm hanging over the platform in a memorable duet with the empty bottle of Grey Goose swinging in time to the rhythm.

Now that's compelling television. :p

Henry is in love wih Moz, it's so obvious :rolleyes:

Interesting. When I met him (admittedly briefly) he was really sweet - a little shy even. We talked about ice cream.

Maybe you just met him on a bad day? I don't know.

Well... I met him in a club. We talked a bit and then I mentioned to him that I grew up in the same area that he did. He looked at me suspiciously. He said he didn't believe me. I was shocked. I asked why. He told me I didn't seem like I was from DC. Then he grilled me about where I went to school, etc. I told him that I went to a school in Virginia that was year round. I'd go three weeks and live with another relative, then come back to DC. It's all true, of course, but that made him believe me even less for some reason. Then he literally made a face at me and turned his back on me. I could not believe it! I can't remember exactly what happened next, but I recall telling him he was a jerk and that I am no liar... and why would I lie about such a stupid thing anyway?! Then I left.

I still don't know why he was so certain that I was lying or why it was so important to him to show me up for the liar that I obviously am. It really hurt my feelings, actally.

Plus, a few years later I was reading something he wrote about working in a pet shop. He was abusive with the animals. That put the final nail in the coffin for me. He's just an asshole.

My sister is a big Rollins fan and met him at one of his poetry readings, or whatever it is that he does. I believe she talking with him at length and has a good impression of him. She didn't ask him about Moz.

My sister:Moz::Me:Henry Rollins

Coincidentally, while Cat's Mother here has a knitting pattern so you can whip up your own Moz, I know where you can get a knitting pattern to whip up your own Henry Rollins- tats and all. Then we could stage the little Gray Goose smackdown/talk show. Wouldn't that make a baffling contribution to YouTube!

Well... I met him in a club. We talked a bit and then I mentioned to him that I grew up in the same area that he did. He looked at me suspiciously. He said he didn't believe me. I was shocked. I asked why. He told me I didn't seem like I was from DC. Then he grilled me about where I went to school, etc. I told him that I went to a school in Virginia that was year round. I'd go three weeks and live with another relative, then come back to DC. It's all true, of course, but that made him believe me even less for some reason. Then he literally made a face at me and turned his back on me. I could not believe it! I can't remember exactly what happened next, but I recall telling him he was a jerk and that I am no liar... and why would I lie about such a stupid thing anyway?! Then I left.

I still don't know why he was so certain that I was lying or why it was so important to him to show me up for the liar that I obviously am. It really hurt my feelings, actally.

Scarlet, I have no idea if you are a girl or a boy, but that sounds like Henry's weird and awkward way of flirting. I've heard that he's a strange one when he's around people he likes. A pretty female friend of mine interviewed him once and he went sort of passive agressive on her. He then apologized for being a dick.

Plus, a few years later I was reading something he wrote about working in a pet shop. He was abusive with the animals. That put the final nail in the coffin for me. He's just an asshole.

Well, yeah, I agree. That would make him an asshole.

And where are these knitting patterns?! That in itself makes me want to learn how to knit! :)

Heh. Found the Moz knitting pattern.

:o

Back
Top Bottom