Political Correctness, for or against?

Agree or disagree with Andy Rooney's comments?

• Yes (Agree)

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • No (Disagree)

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters

D Licious

Banned
Read these words which were said by Andy Rooney on "60 Minutes" a few weeks back.

If you agree with what he says vote YES, if you don't agree vote NO.

(Not a public vote)

I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of anything except numbers.

The only things I can think of that are truly discriminatory are things like the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine, Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America.
Try to have things like the United Caucasian College Fund, Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or Miss White America; and see what happens... Jesse J ackson will be knocking down your door.

Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing makes you a killer. You can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying to ban you from driving to the ball game.

I believe they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason; that is why there are no girls allowed. Girls belong in the Girl Scouts!
ARE YOU LISTENING MARTHA BURKE?

I think that if you feel homosexuality is wrong, it is not a phobia, it is an opinion.

I have the right "NOT" to be tolerant of others because they are different, weird, or tick you off.

When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where 70% of the population is black, that is not racial profiling; it is the Law of Probability.

I believe that if you are selling me a milkshake, a pack of cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room, you must do it in English! As a matter of fact, if you want to be an American citizen, you should have to speak English!

My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you can leave the countries you were born in to come over and disrespect ours.

I think the police should have every right to shoot your sorry butt if you threaten & fail halt after they tell you to stop. If you can't understand the word "freeze" or "stop" in English, see the above lines.

I don't think just because you were not born in this country, you are qualified for any special loan programs, government sponsored bank loans or tax breaks, etc., so you can open a hotel, coffee shop, trinket store, or any other business.

We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk our lives in wars to defend their freedoms, so that decades later they could come over here and tell us our constitution is a living document; and open to their interpretations.

I don't hate the rich; I don't pity the poor.

I know pro wrestling is fake, but so are movies and television.
That doesn't stop you from watching them.

I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every penny he made and continue to make more. If it ticks you off, go and invent the next operating system that's better, and put your name on the building

It doesn't take a whole village to raise a child right, but it does take a parent to stand up to the kid; and smack their little behinds when necessary, and say "NO!"

I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want them, but please don't pretend they are a political statement. And, please, stay home until that new lip ring heals. I don't want to look at your ugly infected mouth as you serve me French fries!

I am sick of "Political Correctness." I know a lot of black people, and not a single one of them was born in Africa ; so how can they be "African-Americans"? Besides, Africa is a continent. I don't go around saying I am a European-American because my great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather was from Europe . I am proud to be from America and nowhere else.

And if you don't like my point of view, tough...

I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG, OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA , AND TO THE REPUBLIC, FOR WHICH IT STANDS, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE, WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL! AMEN!

I was asked to send this on if I agree or delete if I don't. It is said that 86% of Americans believe in God. Therefore I have a very hard time understanding why there is such a problem in having "In God We Trust" on our money and having "God" in the Pledge of Allegiance. Why don't we just tell the 14% to Shut Up, lay down and BE QUIET!!!

Political Correctness is for people who are too lazy to deal with real racisism, sexism, dwarfism, and the problems that arise from it...

They'd rather bitch and whine about Cartoons from the 1940's...and say it's reeking havoc on our children...

Like Disney's Pirates For The Carribean...oh boy...how can they can use the word "wench"...and have women being chased by pirates....that's a real ISSUE for these people..they ignore the violence, crime and alcoholism that ride promotes

I agreed with some of that, but when I got to the part about the police could shoot you for not "halting", I was again reminded that Andy Rooney is an annoying old fart.

I agreed with some of that, but when I got to the part about the police could shoot you for not "halting", I was again reminded that Andy Rooney is an annoying old fart.

Awsome, I disagreed with the part too and YES, Andy Rooney is an annoying fat bastard.

I agree with most though.

I want to be Grand Marshall at A Heterosexual White Male Pride Parade

Still I think when a rich white old man like Andy Rooney criticizes things like the United Negro College Fund he's pushing it. It's not like there is any thought to that. I think he gets his prescriptions mixed up once in a while and films his little segment. He's best ignored really. I understand what he is saying "You people want equality but you're not being equal." It's not for him to say though. It's a process. (no pun intended. btw, if you know what I mean you are old.) When black people as a group will no longer accept the status of victim they can move forward. When black people will not tolerate Al Sharpton and his often false charges of racism, then we can all move on. But it hasn't been that long since segregation and I'm not black. If I was I might see it differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to be Grand Marshall at A Heterosexual White Male Pride Parade

The point is that we wouldn't need a hetero or a homo parade if things were equal. It seems like you feel threatened of people being proud of who they are. You have to admit that being proud to be who you are is a good thing, especially if it is something that people have tried to make you feel ashamed of.

The point is that we wouldn't need a hetero or a homo parade if things were equal. It seems like you feel threatened of people being proud of who they are. You have to admit that being proud to be who you are is a good thing, especially if it is something that people have tried to make you feel ashamed of.

Not threated...was just a cheap joke as i said WHITE and MALE as well....

Still I think when a rich white old man like Andy Rooney criticizes things like the United Negro College Fund he's pushing it. It's not like there is any thought to that. I think he gets his prescriptions mixed up once in a while and films his little segment. He's best ignored really. I understand what he is saying "You people want equality but you're not being equal." It's not for him to say though. It's a process. (no pun intended. btw, if you know what I mean you are old.) When black people as a group will no longer accept the status of victim they can move forward. When black people will not tolerate Al Sharpton and his often false charges of racism, then we can all move on. But it hasn't been that long since segregation and I'm not black. If I was I might see it differently.

If I'm denied access to a scholarship because of my race, isn't that discrimination?

Still I think when a rich white old man like Andy Rooney criticizes things like the United Negro College Fund he's pushing it. It's not like there is any thought to that. I think he gets his prescriptions mixed up once in a while and films his little segment. He's best ignored really. I understand what he is saying "You people want equality but you're not being equal." It's not for him to say though. It's a process. When black people as a group will no longer accept the status of victim they can move forward. When black people will not tolerate Al Sharpton and his often false charges of racism, then we can all move on. But it hasn't been that long since segregation and I'm not black. If I was I might see it differently.

I think Andy Rooney has been reading too much Ann Coulter and David Horowitz, these are not his own views, they are theirs.

I remember once, Rooney had a segment on voting....and he said that citizens who want to vote should be required to take and pass an intelligence/knowledge test before they are allowed to cast a vote, his reason was that he didnt' want his own vote to get cancelled out by a complete moron who casts a vote for the opposite candidate..... I agree with that, and so does Ann Coulter........He stole that from her.

Unfortunately morons are people too, and we are a government of the people

If I'm denied access to a scholarship because of my race, isn't that discrimination?

There are other scholarships you can apply for. When I was in school I took Mexican American history and I was about the only white person in it, and I could not get a free trip to Mexico that was offered to anyone that would apply and fill out the forms, because you had to be a minority. When they talked about the trip I wanted to go and this woman from some office at the college told me right in front of the whold class that I couldn't go. That is discrimination.

But the United Negro College Fund had a purpose at one time, and I still say it is not Andy Rooney's place to knock it.

There are other scholarships you can apply for. When I was in school I took Mexican American history and I was about the only white person in it, and I could not get a free trip to Mexico that was offered to anyone that would apply and fill out the forms, because you had to be a minority. When they talked about the trip I wanted to go and this woman from some office at the college told me right in front of the whold class that I couldn't go. That is discrimination.

But the United Negro College Fund had a purpose at one time, and I still say it is not Andy Rooney's place to knock it.

I do agree on that point....

But I also think there should be college funds for other ethnic heritatges such as Russian, Ukranian, Scottish, Irish, Pakistanian...etc...

In the intrest of Fairness

I do agree on that point....

But I also think there should be college funds for other ethnic heritatges such as Russian, Ukranian, Scottish, Irish, Pakistanian...etc...

In the intrest of Fairness

there are though. There are all sorts of scholarships and people that help research how to get them. Anyome can set up any scholarship they want and it can be as discriminatory as they want to make it.

The fact that the United Negro College Fund is bothering Andy Rooney is because he is about ready to kick the bucket and doesn't care who thinks he is a racist.

The other thing is that most people edit their words a little bit in public. So if he is saying that, I can imagine what he might be thinking. It's true that African-American is a meaningless term in most cases. I have Irish, English, and French ancestors and I'm just American.

Have you ever heard Ice Cube Amerikkka's Most Wanted? I'm not going to quote it but he talks about these same things and basically says it's all a front and diverts attention from the real issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
there are though. There are all sorts of scholarships and people that help research how to get them. Anyome can set up any scholarship they want and it can be as discriminatory as they want to make it.

The fact that the United Negro College Fund is bothering Andy Rooney is because he is about ready to kick the bucket and doesn't care who thinks he is a racist.

Don't you mean Andy Griffith?

FrontPage Magazine: You make the shrewd observation of how political correctness engenders evil because of “the violence that it does to people’s souls by forcing them to say or imply what they do not believe, but must not question.” Can you talk about this a bit?

Theodore Dalrymple: Political correctness is communist propaganda writ small. In my study of communist societies, I came to the conclusion that the purpose of communist propaganda was not to persuade or convince, nor to inform, but to humiliate; and therefore, the less it corresponded to reality the better. When people are forced to remain silent when they are being told the most obvious lies, or even worse when they are forced to repeat the lies themselves, they lose once and for all their sense of probity. To assent to obvious lies is to co-operate with evil, and in some small way to become evil oneself. One’s standing to resist anything is thus eroded, and even destroyed. A society of emasculated liars is easy to control. I think if you examine political correctness, it has the same effect and is intended to.

“PC and the Crisis of Liberalism”

“The Tyranny of Liberalism”

In spite of claims of neutrality, liberalism establishes an enforceable official morality that supports a definite way of life. It makes demands for moral reconstruction that are necessarily intolerant. Civil rights law, with its determination to eradicate “stereotypes” — habitual ways of thinking — is intrusively moralistic and ends in incessant re-education campaigns. Antiharassment rules aim to control the thoughts expressed in every public place. Public education is nonstop moral propaganda. Even health and safety have become crusades involving extensive regulation of daily life. Where there were once religious tests, Sunday closing laws, and laws against blasphemy, there are now diversity programs, the Martin Luther King holiday, and speech codes [BINGO!].
...I only wish to add that a "servant cannot serve two masters".

also, PC as cultural Marxism:
“Political Correctness:” A Short History of an Ideology

Oh it still sounds like something he would say. :p I can't be bothered to check which insane rant is Andy Rooney's and which is Urban Legend spam.

Oh it still sounds like something he would say. :p I can't be bothered to check which insane rant is Andy Rooney's and which is Urban Legend spam.

Don't get me wrong, I agree he's an annoying old fart. It was the part of DAnn's :)rolleyes:) post that said "I was told to pass this on if I agreed" or whatever that was a bit of a clue.

I won the debate with myself. I'm not going to respond to the remainder of the thread. Yet.

Back
Top Bottom