Morrissey, plagiarism and Shelagh Delaney

boozebhoy

I know, whilst with The Smiths, he borrowed a few lines from "A Taste of Honey" by Shelagh Delaney, but can any body tell me what lines he also borrowed from her second Play "The Lion in Love" (i'm sure there was a few).

I have'nt read or seen a copy of this Play in years, so any help appreciated.

I'm having an on-going debate with a big, smug Morrissey "know all" at my work about this (she knows who she is...).

"So rattle her bones all over the stones, she's only a beggar-man whom nobody owns." comes from The Lion In Love. And is heard in The Hand That Rocks The Cradle

Of course it could always be argued that this lyric was in fact taken from its original source, Grays elegy, and not directly ripped from the Shelagh Delaney Play in question, so there is a case for you having to retract your shameful remarks to your charmless colleague who i believe constantly amazes you with his deep Knowledge of all things musical.
However if it could be proven that what you state is in fact true im sure he would bow to your knowledge and accept that for once you are correct, unfortunately we will probably never know

There is no one alive who could give all these little facts and figures about Morrissey, he's like the law, you could be an expert on him and know the essence of everything about him but to refresh the details now and again a quick consultation is needed.

I bet no author said that about him before :D

Of course it could always be argued that this lyric was in fact taken from its original source, Grays elegy, and not directly ripped from the Shelagh Delaney Play in question, so there is a case for you having to retract your shameful remarks to your charmless colleague who i believe constantly amazes you with his deep Knowledge of all things musical.
However if it could be proven that what you state is in fact true im sure he would bow to your knowledge and accept that for once you are correct, unfortunately we will probably never know

You write as my colleague dresses. Desperately.

Thomas Gray? No.

There's a nice history of the line here: Well, rattle my bones!. Who wrote this, or why, I can't really tell and my toast is burning so I don't care to look further. Here's the relevant part:

In 1845, English poet Thomas Noel (allegedly) wrote, in “The Pauper’s Funeral” (there is some controversy over the authorship):

Rattle his bones, his bones, his bones / Over the stones, the stones, the stones / He's only a pauper, who nobody owns, / Nobody owns, nobody owns.

In 1922, James – impenetrability! -Joyce wrote in “Ulysses”, somewhere in chapter six:

The carriage climbed more slowly the hill of Rutland square. Rattle his bones. Over the stones. Only a pauper. Nobody owns. -- In the midst of life, Martin Cunningham said.

In 1929, the year of the great stock market crash, Al Jolson released “Sonny Boy”, the first record to sell over a million, then over five million, copies.

Climb upon my knee, Sonny Boy / You are only three, Sonny Boy / You've no way of knowing, There's no way of showing / What you mean to me, Sonny Boy ...When I'm old and gray, dear, promise you won't stray, dear / For I love you so, Sonny Boy ... Let me hold you nearer, One thing makes you dearer / You've your mother's eyes, Sonny Boy.

In her 1960 play, “The Lion in Love” – the title is also that of one of Aesop’s Fables – [Delaney] gives us:

So rattle her bones all over the stones, she’s only a beggar-man whom nobody owns.

So as you all see, everything is plagarism. There are no original ideas, only original ways of presenting them!

Back
Top Bottom