Why am I seeing ads on the main site - I never used to

The Seeker of Good Songs

Did something change?
I recall people in the past mentioning Google ads and such but I never saw any and now they are showing.
I didn't change any settings in my prefs.
Just curious.

It's new.

There is a little program you can get for free.
It's called Adblock.
Then you may browse without ads.
Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing!!!
Use it freely...:cool:

I dunno why anyone is so offended by a few ads, God! davidt put them there to make some money for the site (certainly he'll still be out of pocket even though they might make some money). If everyone blocked the ads they wouldn't make any money for the site at all.

Oooh!
Pardon me!:rolleyes:

Mauve, your info was genuinely useful to me; there is/was a flashing banner ad that was making it hard on my eyes to be on some pages on the forums. Now I don't have to scroll down to avoid it when I move between pages and I can read comfortably again. Thank you.

2-J, I appreciate the need for advertising as a source of revenue, but both site owners and advertisers need to understand that if the ads dazzle or otherwise detract from the experience of using a site, users are likely to resort to blocking measures.

Kate

'Hard on your eyes'? Gimme a break, I'm sure all the *.gif ads on here are epilepsy certified.

I don't think site owners and visitors 'need to understand' that some people are going to block ads. Anyone with a modicum of net sense is aware that in many cases ads are able to blocked and that some people do indeed block them.

Does it make it a positive thing to spread the info on how to do it on a site's messageboard? On a site like solo, that costs thousands of dollars a year to maintain and which you enjoy (I would guess most days of your life) absolutely free? No, it's meanspirited considering the nature of the site and the purpose of the ads.

'Hard on your eyes'? Gimme a break, I'm sure all the *.gif ads on here are epilepsy certified.
You're my optician now, are you? If I say I found it hard on my eyes it's because I found it hard on my eyes. It's the only reason I downloaded the ad-block.

I don't think site owners and visitors 'need to understand' that some people are going to block ads. Anyone with a modicum of net sense is aware that in many cases ads are able to blocked and that some people do indeed block them.

They do need to be aware of what turns people off/annoys them to the extent that they will make the decision to block ads. It's all part of decent market research.

Does it make it a positive thing to spread the info on how to do it on a site's messageboard? On a site like solo, that costs thousands of dollars a year to maintain and which you enjoy (I would guess most days of your life) absolutely free? No, it's meanspirited considering the nature of the site and the purpose of the ads.

It gave me the option of continuing to read and contribute to the activity that is the lifeblood of these forums, without getting a headache, so I'm grateful for it.

Does David/the site get money from the ads just by us clicking on the ads, or do we have to buy something at the ad site?

If we all went on a rampage of ad clicking, will that bring $$$ into the solo bank account? If so, why don't we all spend 10 minutes clicking away.

Or would such action be seen by the ad man as solo not bringing in any revenue to them? Are there downsides to solo for mad ad clicking without any purchasing being done?

I don't mind clicking on a few ads if it will help out, but I doubt I would buy anything because I don't buy much anywhere.

*nods* A click-a-thon would be a great idea if it raised funds for Solo without us having to purchase anything, but yes, we'd have to suss out any downsides first.

davidt?

Does David/the site get money from the ads just by us clicking on the ads, or do we have to buy something at the ad site?

If we all went on a rampage of ad clicking, will that bring $$$ into the solo bank account? If so, why don't we all spend 10 minutes clicking away.

Or would such action be seen by the ad man as solo not bringing in any revenue to them? Are there downsides to solo for mad ad clicking without any purchasing being done?

I don't mind clicking on a few ads if it will help out, but I doubt I would buy anything because I don't buy much anywhere.

*nods* A click-a-thon would be a great idea if it raised funds for Solo without us having to purchase anything, but yes, we'd have to suss out any downsides first.

davidt?

David might not be able to respond to such an inquiry directly - probably a bit unethical to tell people "go and click but don't need to buy anything" Google may not look favorably on that.

I did a little web searching and from Google own ad page it says:

How do I get paid?
You get paid whenever someone on your site clicks on one of the AdSense ads. Advertisers can also bid to appear on your site on a CPM (cost per thousand impressions) basis. Both CPC and CPM bids compete in our AdWords program to ensure that you optimize your ad revenue.

anther article says:

"CPM vs. CPC Campaigns

CPM is a type of advertising that pays per impression, which we know from the
previous article on ad terminology. For instance if the campaign states
$10 CPM, you would be making $10.00 USD per thousand impressions, or 1 cent per
ad view. CPC stands for cost per click, and payment is based on the number of
clicks delivered from your site. CPC payments do not depend on number of impressions.

From a publisher's point of view, all campaigns, even if it is not sold in
CPM form, should be measured in CPM. For instance, one can measure a CPC campaign
in virtual CPM. Based on the revenue generated, the equivalent
CPM amount for this ad or campaign can be calculated. For example, if a site displays CPC ads at 25 cents per click,
and the average click through rate (CTR) is 0.5% (5 clicks per 1000 impressions), the
equivalent CPM rate is 5 x 25 cents = $1.25 CPM.

CPC campaigns are good for targeted ads such as those delivered by Google AdSense.
These ads are relevant to the web page content and often related to the visitor's interest.
Click through rates are usually high in these cases. However, some advertisers are
clever enough to distribute their low CTR ads in CPC campaigns and high CTR ads in
CPM campaigns. The result is that the advertiser benefits from the cheap exposure (branding)
or cheap visitors, whereas, the publisher tend to lose from such campaigns."

which means, I think, the site will get paid by the click, but will get paid more if you actually buy something after the click.

perhaps someone in the know could send someone a PM off the record?

No clicking necessary unless you are genuinely interested in the ad.

While the ads have paid for the current costs of running the site, the new ads will generate more income which I will put towards future upgrades for the site. One of the 2 servers is over 7 years old and is due for one.

The ad-supported free site is the proven model for support. Thank you for putting up with its small annoyances.

No clicking necessary unless you are genuinely interested in the ad.

While the ads have paid for the current costs of running the site, the new ads will generate more income which I will put towards future upgrades for the site. One of the 2 servers is over 7 years old and is due for one.

The ad-supported free site is the proven model for support. Thank you for putting up with its small annoyances.

Thanks for the clarification.

Kate

:)

Back
Top Bottom