The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 49: GIRL LEAST LIKELY TO

How do you rate Girl Least Likely To?

• Total voters

Houdini

While we wait for the new album to arrive, let us go about rating the songs we know, on a daily basis, and compile our own Morrissey/Smiths Top 100.
And instead of chronologically, let's do them alphabetically.

Song for Today: GIRL LEAST LIKELY TO

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Classic, perfect
9: Near classic, brilliant
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: Decent, OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He/They should be ashamed

The songs we've done so far (voting will remain open, click to vote):

Part 1: A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours
Part 2: A Song From Under The Floorboards
Part 3: A Swallow On My Neck
Part 4: Accept Yourself
Part 5: All The Lazy Dykes
Part 6: Alma Matters
Part 7: Alsatian Cousin
Part 8: Ambitious Outsiders
Part 9: America Is Not The World
Part 10: Ammunition
Part 11: Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together
Part 12: Asian Rut
Part 13: Ask
Part 14: Asleep
Part 15: At Amber
Part 16: At Last I Am Born
Part 17: Back To The Old House
Part 18: Barbarism Begins At Home
Part 19: Bengali In Platforms
Part 20: Best Friend On The Payroll
Part 21: Bigmouth Strikes Again
Part 22: Billy Budd
Part 23: Black-Eyed Susan
Part 24: Boxers
Part 25: Break Up The Family
Part 26: Cemetry Gates
Part 27: Certain People I Know
Part 28: Christian Dior
Part 29: Come Back To Camden
Part 30: Cosmic Dancer
Part 31: Dagenham Dave
Part 32: Dear God Please Help Me
Part 33: Death At One's Elbow
Part 34: Death Of A Disco Dancer
Part 35: Dial-A-Cliche
Part 36: Disappointed
Part 37: Do Your Best And Don't Worry
Part 38: Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice
Part 39: Driving Your Girlfriend Home
Part 40: East West
Part 41: Everyday Is Like Sunday
Part 42: First Of The Gang To Die
Part 43: Found Found Found
Part 44: Frankly Mr Shankly
Part 45: Friday Mourning
Part 46: Ganglord
Part 47: Get Off The Stage
Part 48: Girl Afraid

One of my favorites of all time. Echoes "Cemetry Gates" in its ritual slaughter of pretentious literary types.

As a high school English teacher, I often catch myself humming it as I correct papers. :)

Deep in my heart how I wish I was wrong, but deep in my heart I know I am not!

Perhaps the most harsh I can be. Well, the only song I skip. It just goes on and on (compare to Paint A Vulgar Picture or This Is Not Your Country). Ok lyrics, but not the song. Hau.

Another Great B-side..tis a shame it didn't make it onto Beethoveen was Deaf or Bona Drag...thankfully got rescued in time for My Early Burglary Years....I prefer it well over He Knows I'd Love To See Him...which never really gets off the ground for me...

Another Great B-side..tis a shame it didn't make it onto Beethoveen was Deaf or Bona Drag...thankfully got rescued in time for My Early Burglary Years....I prefer it well over He Knows I'd Love To See Him...which never really gets off the ground for me...

It's also in Viva Hate reissue repackage.

One of my all time favourite Mozza tunes, the song just flows the musical arrangement is great, and the lyrics are simply sublime, very surprised this song was not saved for a studio album, one of Mozza's gems that hasn't really seen the daylight it thoroughly deserves.

A firm 7 for me - Good song which I like a lot, but it doesn't grab me by the shoulders like some songs do!

A 9, would be a 10 if he hadn't ripped off the cookies for the vocal melody!

One of my all time favourite Mozza tunes, the song just flows the musical arrangement is great, and the lyrics are simply sublime, very surprised this song was not saved for a studio album, one of Mozza's gems that hasn't really seen the daylight it thoroughly deserves.

Well, it is not exactly a Mozza tune ...

ritual slaughter of pretentious literary types.

If there was a ritual slaughter of pretentious literary types on moz-solo.. there would be a lot less users ;)

Great line.. I shall indeed steal it.

Perhaps the most harsh I can be. Well, the only song I skip. It just goes on and on (compare to Paint A Vulgar Picture or This Is Not Your Country). Ok lyrics, but not the song. Hau.

I gave it a 4 too. I don't like it.

it's better than 'girlfriend in a coma'

I adore this song and I don't even care if it was plagiarized from the Cookies. The lyrics are an absolute quintessential Morrissey delight and the bassline is great too. What's not to love, people? I give it a 9.

10/10 His best b-side along with Lost, I know very well how I got my name, Hairdresser on Fire and Sister I'm a Poet.​

10/10 His best b-side along with Lost, I know very well how I got my name, Hairdresser on Fire and Sister I'm a Poet.​

....and not forgetting Disappointed and Jack the Ripper. Two othetr great b-sides.​

I agree with True to You. I love the song, but am prevented from giving a 10 because of the blatant theft from the Cookies.

Great lyrics and melody, it bounces along at a decent pace so you can dance to it without having a coronary and it's just a great arrangement. Don't know how it didn't end up like George Harrison's My Sweet Lord, though - perhaps because it's not as well known, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom