The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 44: FRANKLY, MR. SHANKLY

How do you rate Frankly, Mr. Shankly?

• Total voters

Houdini

While we wait for the new album to arrive, let us go about rating the songs we know, on a daily basis, and compile our own Morrissey/Smiths Top 100.
And instead of chronologically, let's do them alphabetically.

Song for Today: FRANKLY, MR. SHANKLY

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Classic, perfect
9: Near classic, brilliant
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: Decent, OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He/They should be ashamed

The songs we've done so far (voting will remain open, click to vote):

Part 1: A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours
Part 2: A Song From Under The Floorboards
Part 3: A Swallow On My Neck
Part 4: Accept Yourself
Part 5: All The Lazy Dykes
Part 6: Alma Matters
Part 7: Alsatian Cousin
Part 8: Ambitious Outsiders
Part 9: America Is Not The World
Part 10: Ammunition
Part 11: Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together
Part 12: Asian Rut
Part 13: Ask
Part 14: Asleep
Part 15: At Amber
Part 16: At Last I Am Born
Part 17: Back To The Old House
Part 18: Barbarism Begins At Home
Part 19: Bengali In Platforms
Part 20: Best Friend On The Payroll
Part 21: Bigmouth Strikes Again
Part 22: Billy Budd
Part 23: Black-Eyed Susan
Part 24: Boxers
Part 25: Break Up The Family
Part 26: Cemetry Gates
Part 27: Certain People I Know
Part 28: Christian Dior
Part 29: Come Back To Camden
Part 30: Cosmic Dancer
Part 31: Dagenham Dave
Part 32: Dear God Please Help Me
Part 33: Death At One's Elbow
Part 34: Death Of A Disco Dancer
Part 35: Dial-A-Cliche
Part 36: Disappointed
Part 37: Do Your Best And Don't Worry
Part 38: Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice
Part 39: Driving Your Girlfriend Home
Part 40: East West
Part 41: Everyday Is Like Sunday
Part 42: First Of The Gang To Die
Part 43: Found Found Found

Last edited by a moderator:
The song that made me "get" Moz' sense of humour, and thus begin to love the Smiths..:D a 7

great lyrics...

"I want to live and I want to love. I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of..." :eek:

clever little ditty, but no masterpiece. hmm, i'd like to give it a 7.5, but since i cant, an 8 it is!

I love this song, my 8 year old son loves this song....we sing it at the top of our voices when we are in the car...Top song, 10/10 from both of us.:p

great lyrics...

"I want to live and I want to love. I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of..." :eek:

clever little ditty, but no masterpiece. hmm, i'd like to give it a 7.5, but since i cant, an 8 it is!

I too would like to give it 7.5. Therefore, I'll vote for 7 and then, between us, it will be 7.5 each!

It's a fairly good, if not spectacular, Smiths song. The arrangement is refreshingly different and the middle 8 is fun. The 'fame, fame, fatal fame' lyric is also a classic Moz line!

It's the first Smiths song I ever heard. Having only listened to Quarry and Tormentors occasionally before that, when Pandora threw this at me (er, who are The Smiths?), it was one of the greatest WTF moments that changed my attitude towards Morrissey - to a much better one, actually. That was the sweet beginning.

And then I burst in and spoil the party.

Sorry but this track is one of the reasons I've argued against 'The Queen Is Dead' being the classic album everyone says it is.

This track is fluff. Sure it's amusing but that's all it is, a lightweight comedy number for Moz to act out some antiquated music hall stint. Not the stuff classic tracks are made of really....

I have no deeped seated grudge against it but for me it (and a couple of other tracks) really bring down the quality threshold on that album.

I give it 6.

i like this song

And then I burst in and spoil the party.

Sorry but this track is one of the reasons I've argued against 'The Queen Is Dead' being the classic album everyone says it is.

This track is fluff. Sure it's amusing but that's all it is, a lightweight comedy number for Moz to act out some antiquated music hall stint. Not the stuff classic tracks are made of really....

I have no deeped seated grudge against it but for me it (and a couple of other tracks) really bring down the quality threshold on that album.

I give it 6.

Yeah, but I think its perfectly placed on the record. You've got Shankly going into "I Know It's Over" on side A. Genius, and when I first heard the album I wasn't expecting such a contrast of emotion.

And then of course of side B there is TIALTNGO followed by Some Girls which, well, where does one begin? :)

By the way I gave this a 9.

great lyrics...

This line lifts it from an 8 to a 9 for me.

I fantasise about singing this song when I leave my works to pastures new..... which at the current rate is going to be the crematorium.

"Sometimes I feel more fulfilled
Making Christmas Cards
For the mentally ill...."

Is comedy genius

This is one of my fav songs of the Smiths and the lyrics are cool. Supposedly written about the boss at Rough Trade Records I think. (I may be wrong tho......)​

My first one of these, 10! I like the musichall style, something new! and the lyrics are fantastic! Rib ticklingly funny.

I still don't "get" why the album's so highly regarded, but I love this one.

Probably a 7 or 8. However, given that virtually every other song is getting a 9 or 10, it's a 9.

Back
Top Bottom