The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 30: COSMIC DANCER

How do you rate Cosmic Dancer?

• Total voters

Houdini

While we wait for the new album to arrive, let us go about rating the songs we know, on a daily basis, and compile our own Morrissey/Smiths Top 100.
And instead of chronologically, let's do them alphabetically.

Song for Today: COSMIC DANCER (LIVE)

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Classic
9: Near classic, f***ing brilliant anyway
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: Decent, OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He/They should be ashamed

The songs we've done so far (voting will remain open, click to vote):

Part 1: A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours
Part 2: A Song From Under The Floorboards
Part 3: A Swallow On My Neck
Part 4: Accept Yourself
Part 5: All The Lazy Dykes
Part 6: Alma Matters
Part 7: Alsatian Cousin
Part 8: Ambitious Outsiders
Part 9: America Is Not The World
Part 10: Ammunition
Part 11: Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together
Part 12: Asian Rut
Part 13: Ask
Part 14: Asleep
Part 15: At Amber
Part 16: At Last I Am Born
Part 17: Back To The Old House
Part 18: Barbarism Begins At Home
Part 19: Bengali In Platforms
Part 20: Best Friend On The Payroll
Part 21: Bigmouth Strikes Again
Part 22: Billy Budd
Part 23: Black-Eyed Susan
Part 24: Boxers
Part 25: Break Up The Family
Part 26: Cemetry Gates
Part 27: Certain People I Know
Part 28: Christian Dior
Part 29: Come Back To Camden

Probably his best cover and it certainly has a wonderful live recording, if it were his own work I would give it a strong 10. To bad Bolan and the gang got before him then:D . Still it's hard to rate a cover, don't belive I should give it more then a 7 since it isn't better then the original. He isn't turning this song to his own and one that is acctually better the the original. Still it get's a big plus for the combination Cosmic Dancer/Disapponited from the Kill Uncle tour.

i gave it a 7 as well.

would have given more if it was original.

i gave bonus points for Floorboards because its so damn good and because he kind of stole lyrics from it and then covered it. brilliant!

also, on this.. there are 2 different versions.

there is the one that is a b-side to pregnant for the last time and the one that is on my early burglary years.

i like the b-side version better. the part where his voice kind of goes out, its because he went to the front of the stage and someone grabbed the microphone cable and the mic didn't reach all the way to his lips. i wasn't there but i have a video of the show.

Last edited:
I would have like to seen what he could have done with a studio version. In this case I would rather listen to the T. Rex version.

Kyoko

I always skip that song, I liked it a few times, for the first listens, then got over it. I give it a 6

So what song is topping the charts so far?
I want to see where Christian Dior came in the chart

6. It's fine, and it made a good segue into Disappointed in 1991, but it wasn't even the best cover on that tour, That's Entertainment was.

t-rex was rubbish. although "seagull woman" was amazing. mr. morrissey should've covered "seagull woman"

I really like this cover, and I feel that the lyrics suit Morrissey quite well. Like most of Morrissey's versions (with the notable exception of "That's Entertainment"), I prefer his version to the original. I give it an 8.

Back
Top Bottom