The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 24: BOXERS

How do you rate Boxers?

• Total voters

Houdini

While we wait for the new album to arrive, let us go about rating the songs we know, on a daily basis, and compile our own Morrissey/Smiths Top 100.

And instead of chronologically, let's do them alphabetically.

Song for Today: BOXERS

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Classic
9: Near classic, f***ing brilliant anyway
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: Decent, OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He/They should be ashamed

The top-23 so far (voting will remain open, click to vote):

1) Bigmouth Strikes Again, rating: 9,43
2) Asleep, rating so far: 9,03
3) A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours, rating: 8,88
4) Back To The Old House, rating: 8,52
5) Ask, rating: 8,39
6) Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together, rating: 8,34
7) Alsatian Cousin, rating: 8,30
8) Barbarism Begins At Home, rating: 8,17
9) Alma Matters, rating: 7,78
10) A Swallow On My Neck, rating: 7,59
11) Accept Yourself, rating: 7,52
12) Billy Budd, rating: 7,38
13) Bengali In Platforms, rating: 7,24
14) A Song From Under The Floorboards, rating: 7,21
15) At Last I Am Born, rating: 6,86
16) At Amber, rating: 6,77
17) Best Friend On The Payroll, rating: 6,72
18) Ammunition, rating 6,66
19) Asian Rut, rating: 6,66
20) Ambitious Outsiders, rating: 6,44
21) America Is Not The World, rating: 6,41
22) Black-Eyed Susan, rating: 6,33
23) All The Lazy Dykes, rating: 6,15

CLASSIC!

sadly overlooked, too.

edit:but I posted the wrong file, looking for my favorite version of boxers now. :o :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful song and lyrically perfect. Great story full of empathy, compassion, sadness and joy.

Beautiful song and lyrically perfect. Great story full of empathy, compassion, sadness and joy.

Said it in one.

Strange, all those who adore this song don't hesitate to show why but none of them who has given it low grades has stated why:( .

What's more, the 3 people who have given this song a 1 are the same people who gave Billy Budd a 1, so these people have either very bad taste or they try to f*** up the rating of very decent Moz-songs :)

Really, wonder if we're having a conspiracy here or just old fashioned trolling?:(

What's more, the 3 people who have given this song a 1 are the same people who gave Billy Budd a 1, so these people have either very bad taste or they try to f*** up the rating of very decent Moz-songs :)

Well we got to know for definite that Kumo and Mick Cable are one and the same when Mick idiotically signed one of his posts "Kumo". Forgot who he was logged in as for a sec. :p

Well we got to know for definite that Kumo and Mick Cable are one and the same when Mick idiotically signed one of his posts "Kumo". Forgot who he was logged in as for a sec. :p

Thank you for the tip-off, Danny. ;)

10 from me. I remember stopping the car to listen to it for the first time and thinking it was his best song so far, and 11 or 12 years on I still do

Really? So basically, Mick Cable was writing this:

"I think Morrissey would really like Kumo, for being outspoken and independent thinker, and going aganist what seems to be an unstoppable tied.

They might not agree on some issues, and I also think Morrissey would not even care about many of them. I think Morrissey would prefer a conversation with Kumo, instead of a sycophantic fan that doesn't have a lot to offer in the way of intelectual challenge.

I think it's sad that the attacks on Kumo are mostly personal in nature.
If this world is going to move forward we need to make greater efforts to understand each other.

about himself?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Strange, all those who adore this song don't hesitate to show why but none of them who has given it low grades has stated why:( .

Well, I only gave it a 5 about 10 seconds ago.

The words are nothing special. I cannot relate to losing in front of my home crowd or my weary wife walking away because I'm some kind of failure. I was fairly critical of this song when it came out feeling that it was substandard.

Musically I think its pretty boring. Even having Spike Smith play bongos on it in 2000 didn't make it interesting.

I do admit it's slightly catchy but there are tons of total crap songs that are catchy like "Don't You Wish Your Girlfriend Was Hot Like Me".

I gave it a five. It's uninspired or perhaps uninspiring. I didn't rate it as poor. Morrissey has very few songs that are below a 5. This is just one that is near the bottom of the list for me.

EDIT:

I didn't realize anyone had given it a 1.
I still stand by what I said but by giving it a 5 and having had no idea what it's score was before I voted, I think it is clear I was not trying to sabotage the voting. I was actually surprised to see so many 9's and 10's but that's what this is about. I know you people will be votings 5 on songs I put as 10's.

I'm glad people think its a 10. When people unanimously rate a song poorly it's pretty much a bad song.

Last edited:

hahaha, nice! i totally dont like that guy...

6 Doesn't do much for me, sorry!!

This whole Kumo/MickCable matter is hilarious........ what a DORK!!!

I just noticed....... MC posted a pic of Alien Moz, when I was replying to it.... the name Kumo appeared

Last edited:

It seems a bit bizarre to think that a fan would want to f*** up the ratings in such a conspiratorial way, as Chartres says, but if that's your view, fair enough.

I'm about to vote now and have not yet checked the results but 'bored' does make some valid points about the song's unremarkable facets, if you like. It's not profound or controversial lyrically, or ground-breaking musically, but is very sing-a-long-able.

For the record, i didn't vote on Billy Budd but feel it's a 3/4. Boxers is a 7/8.

Back
Top Bottom