How Often Do Radios In Your Country/City Play Morrissey/The Smiths?

CeciDeMorrissey

Steven Patrick I Love You
From a comment in the Frink thread... I better move it here so we don't hijack that revered section of our forum :p

Here in Chile we have these 3 national radios and they are Play FM, X FM and Club FM.. Sometimes another one called Concierto also plays Morrissey/The Smiths.

But Play FM is the best supporting Morrissey. Actually its musical producer is a good acquaintance of mine and he loves Morrissey too... Do you want to know what he plays on Play?? Three days ago he was playing "I'm Not Sorry"!!! he plays I Like you, Let Me Kiss You and for the "specials" that last 30 minutes he even plays Dear God Please Help Me!!! All that, besides the classics of course.

I wish Morrissey knew here in Chile he's so incredibly worshiped and i don't think there's another country that plays his music so incredibly often. I mean DAILY!!! Or is there??

Here in Ireland, Today FM has an evening radio programme which regularly plays Morrissey and the Smiths. At the moment "Stop me if you think that you've heard this one before" is played every evening. Mainly because it's far superior to a cover version currently in the charts.
Another station, Phantom FM, also is very loyal to the main man.
So, not that unusual to hear it here.

NEVER!!!!!!!! The first time I heard The Smiths played was a month ago....How Soon Is Now? - of course!:rolleyes: :D

Then again, I neevr listen to the radio anymore...I've given up on it. But I can say that they NEVER play it here in southern california. The only station that may play it, is an indie one that I can't get reception for. Darn it!

Last edited:
In England there are the usual indie stations that occasionally play The Smiths/Morrissey, but it appears to me that most radio play given to them is by the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 FM, which is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) radio station in the UK. Everytime I tune in there seems to be (albeit mainly Smiths stuff) something on.

Never. I hate the radio anyways.

I dont really listen to the radio anymore. Philly radio SUX. we used to have one decent "alternative" radio station that might occasionally play "how soon is now" and i remember them playing some stuff off YATQ when it first came out. but a few years ago they got rid of it and replaced it with yet ANOTHER stupid hip hop station. so now we have about 4 hip hop stations and no "alternative/indie" stations. WHY DO WE NEED FOUR RAP STATIONS? :mad:

Radio totally sux these days......I only listen to political talk radio on AM, and on the liberal station they've played Smiths before.....No Morrissey

Of course on Sirius satellite radio Channel 22 (First Wave) they play Moz and Smiths all the time. Yay! Also on Music Choice Comcast channel 715 (Retro-Active) they play Smiths, Moz and many other cool bands.

I love the swedish non-commercial radio and I listen to it often.
Not so much old music, like the smiths is played. But Morrissey is, specially if there's a new single. :)

I've also long given up on radio, but radio 2 do play him sometimes- I heard Youngest and YHKM when they were released last year, and I have heard HSIN? and Shakespeare's Sister on there late at night. Still not enough for my liking though!

the only time moz or the smiths get's played here in detroit is either on sunday mornings from 8-12 on the time warp on 89x. or from noon till 1 on the 89x time warp lunch, these are the only times i listen to the radio.

I hear at least one Morrissey/Smiths track a day on Radio EINS, which had also broacast the Berlin show from last December.

I live in Baltimore, Maryland in the US and I rarely hear Morrissey played, even on the alternative stations. The few times I HAVE heard his songs played, I've actually called up the radio stations to thank them! I've heard "Suedehead" and "Tomorrow" played before. One time, I even heard The Smiths' "Sheila Take a Bow" being played over the loudspeaker at Macy's department store! It truly did brighten my day.

I heard once "First of the gang to die" last year. That's all. I've never heard any Smiths song on the radio. Here in Spain radio stations are pathetic :mad:

here in LA, tha's hardly ever. but when they do, they usually put on something by the Smiths and it's usually How Soon is Now.

i can't recall the last time i heard a Morrissey song on the air past the 1990s and certainly none of the new stuff ever gets played. MTV gave more air time to Your Arsenal and stopped after that.

106.7 KROQ used to play good music - now it's all mediocrity. Indie 103.1 occasionally does, but it would still be The Smiths.

Recently, I was hired in an office in which the radio is on all day. The station typically ends up on this "best of the 80's-90's and today" station. I've been here two months, and I've heard ONE Smith's song, "How Soon Is Now?".

Until this job, I have not listened to the radio in over ten years because at least here in Phoenix, Arizona it is absolute crap. The stations are mostly (totally?) corporate owned. They play the same safe, boring, tepid music all day. Which is why I plug in speakers to my work PC and listen to whatever I want. I've even begun converting some co-workers to Morrissey.

Back
Top Bottom