The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 16: AT LAST I AM BORN

How do you rate At Last I Am Born?

• Total voters

Houdini

While we wait for the new album to arrive, let us go about rating the songs we know, on a daily basis, and compile our own Morrissey/Smiths Top 100.

And instead of chronologically, let's do them alphabetically.

Song for Today: AT LAST I AM BORN

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Classic
9: Near classic, f***ing brilliant anyway
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: Decent, OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He/They should be ashamed

The top-15 so far (voting will remain open, click to vote):

1) Asleep, rating so far: 8,99
2) A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours, rating: 8,85
3) Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together, rating: 8,51
4) Ask, rating: 8,42
5) Alsatian Cousin, rating: 8,22
6) Alma Matters, rating: 7,76
7) Swallow On My Neck, rating: 7,74
8) Accept Yourself, rating: 7,51
9) A Song From Under The Floorboards, rating: 7,18
10) Asian Rut, rating: 6,77
11) At Amber, rating: 6,74
12) Ammunition, rating 6,68
13) Ambitious Outsiders, rating: 6,55
14) America Is Not The World, rating: 6,40
15) All The Lazy Dykes, rating: 6,16

I love this song, I always thought it was one of the poorer songs of ROTT until i saw him sing it live. Now its one of my favorites.

From difficult child to spectral hand to Claude Brasseur.

LOVE IT!

had massive potential when i first read the title...sadly music and lyrics are average

Truely average, can't say I'm a fan of Farrell's music after his current songs even though it's too little to judge him by. It's easily a bombastic song which certainly fits well as an ending for ROTT - but it lacks some of his usual elegance. Would barely call it clumsy but I agree with most that the "Claude Brasseur lines" are pure genius.

Think this is a track that many has different opinions about, will be interesting to see it's rating.

"vegetarians know"

I adore it and i adore it even more having seen it live several times now.

What is the song about. When I see born again I immediatel think of religion but I am sure that is not what it is about. Guess I have to study it.

In fairness, its really not that good a song compared to a lot of others things he has done. It was just one more average song on a (lets face it) just better than average album.

In fairness, its really not that good a song compared to a lot of others things he has done. It was just one more average song on a (lets face it) just better than average album.

i've faced it, and i completely agree with you.

sometimes i feel like with these polls, people are like "omg 10!!!" with songs that arent even close to "10's", and in all honesty, if it was someone other than Morrissey singing them, youd probably think the song sucked... but thats just my two cents :)

Hear Hear! Some bright moments on the album(The youngest, Pigsty, I will see you etc), but many of the others are Meh.............

Hear Hear! Some bright moments on the album(The youngest, Pigsty, I will see you etc), but many of the others are Meh.............

i agree. i much prefer YATQ.

i remember reading the lyrics to ROTT before i heard the music and i was like "what IS this??" i just cant get into it like most of his other stuff. oh wellz ::shrug::

i've faced it, and i completely agree with you.

sometimes i feel like with these polls, people are like "omg 10!!!" with songs that arent even close to "10's", and in all honesty, if it was someone other than Morrissey singing them, youd probably think the song sucked... but thats just my two cents :)

i agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

i agree. i much prefer YATQ.

i remember reading the lyrics to ROTT before i heard the music and i was like "what IS this??" i just cant get into it like most of his other stuff. oh wellz ::shrug::

Interesting, I felt much the same about YATQ.

Love ROTT, but along with IJWTSTBH, I can't stand this song. I appreciate that they're trying something different with the music, but it just annoys the shit out of me. Mind you, it's taken me three years to start liking "I'm Not Sorry" from YATQ, so you never know, this might eventually grow on me...

great closer- sums up the album so well.

This isn't one of my favorites off Ringleader. I do quite like some of the lyrics, but on the whole... yeah, not very good. It does score points for making me look up Claude Brasseur though. I give it a 6.

What is the song about. When I see born again I immediatel think of religion but I am sure that is not what it is about. Guess I have to study it.

I think when he says "At Last I Am Born" he means it in the same sense as the "When you want to live, how do you start? Where do you go? Who do you need to know?" line from "Boy With The Thorn". He's finally figured out how to enjoy life - hence, he is born. I can relate to the sentiments completely - especially: "I once thought that I had numerous reasons to cry, and I did but I don't anymore because I am born, born, born!" So true.

But yeah, I do hate the "born again" connotations. That's a shame.

Back
Top Bottom