The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 9: AMERICA IS NOT THE WORLD

How do you rate America Is Not The World?

• Total voters

Houdini

While we wait for the new album to arrive, let us go about rating the songs we know, on a daily basis, and compile our own Morrissey/Smiths Top 100.

And instead of chronologically, let's do them alphabetically.

Song for Today: AMERICA IS NOT THE WORLD

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Classic
9: Near classic, f***ing brilliant anyway
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: Decent, OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He/They should be ashamed

The top-8 so far (voting will remain open, click to vote):
1) A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours, rating so far: 8,79
2) Alsatian Cousin, rating: 8,26
3) A Swallow On My Neck, rating: 7,89
4) Alma Matters, rating: 7,81
5) A Song From Under The Floorboards, rating: 7,36
6) Accept Yourself, rating: 7,22
7) Ambitious Outsiders, rating: 6,71
8) All The Lazy Dykes, rating: 6,23

6. It's just average to me. I enjoy it, but nothing so special about it I give it multiple plays in a row or anything. So just average it is :)

One of his worst album openers, certainly considering the 7 year absence from the music industry, but still a nice enough song.

f***ing dreadful.

...Thus endeth the honeymoon period. Oh come on dearest, I quite like this song!

Of course we had a row about it! it is one of the things that keeps our relationship going! (we just like the making up)
Honestly, I don't mind the song at all.

I thought it was a good album-opener: it's got a good beat - not a dance-track, obviously, but relatively interesting.

However, it was probably the lyrics that swung it for me - I was instanly intrigued upon hearing of the title, and so had perhaps sub-consciously made up my mind even before I'd heard the song!

i really like it, i think the lyrics are fantastic, "but where the President
is never black, female or gay and until that day you've got nothing to say to me to help me believe"
Perhaps not the strongest opening track musically but nevertheless a good song to start a great album.

...Thus endeth the honeymoon period. Oh come on dearest, I quite like this song!

darling, The Feeling have done better songs than this muck.

See, I knew you were a closet fan of the feeling!

This song is a classic. Who else would do anything like this?

You know where you can shove your 6,7's, and 8's! :D

I gave it a 1. By FAR the worst song Morrissey has ever recorded. Not clever lyrically, the drum track is pathetic, and musically dull. Not a single good quality, and I adore Moz.

Totally terrible. Don't get me wrong, it's no Mexico, but it's still truly awful. Nevermind. Proves he's only human.

I thought it captured Euro angst quite well. I think many people have a problem when Morrissey mixes pop and politics. As for me, I enjoy the mix.

-Vaux

Could have been more blunt and in your face...just a little too mellow that it doesn't really jump out at you..perhaps that's why it was rarely performed live...and definitely not a great sound to start an album off with...See You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side and I Will See You In Far Off Places on how to do THAT right

i really like it, i think the lyrics are fantastic, "but where the President
is never black, female or gay and until that day you've got nothing to say to me to help me believe"
Perhaps not the strongest opening track musically but nevertheless a good song to start a great album.

Has there been an openly gay president or Prime Minister in any powerful nation? And in America (at least) most gay politicians make a spectical of themselves about it instead of it just being a part of who they are...

America grew on me after hearing Irish folk singer Christy Moore cover it on his Burning Times CD. Both versions are now a 10 for me. As a US citizen, the song offers a glimpse (right or wrong) of how some people view the US these days. I like the chance to understand this perspective.

Back
Top Bottom