Morrissey's roots

Still Tired

as it were...
I had the chance to wander around Stretford yesterday which was a vaguely surreal experience somehow. It was just so strange to be in a place so loaded with meaning- so special in some weird way and yet the streets are pretty much like anywhere else in Lancashire and the locals seemed horribly oblivious to the importance of the place! Getting off the tram it was almost like stepping into some mock town that contained all the relevant landmarks; it all seemed vaguely unreal. Then walking down Kings Road and standing looking over at 384, a totally unremarkable house- so familiar, with life going on all around, yet I felt horribly sentimental! I could almost imagine the ghost of twenty years ago walking the street, or Johnny Marr nervously approaching the gate. And seeing the local shops he would’ve used, the post box he most likely sent his many letters off from, then the dismal and slightly decrepit iron bridge he walked over so often, it really set the scene of his life back then.

It was nice seeing the Moz inspired graffiti on the bridge; it reassured me I hadn’t made the whole thing up! Looking out from the view at the top of those stairs and across the concrete back yards of the houses, and the tram line- would that have been there in the 70’s/ 80’s? I know it wasn’t running then but I’m not sure how old the line is… even so, not the most picturesque view from a bedroom window- I wonder what he thought looking out on it all. Then I sat in the near-by park amongst all the daffodils and wondered how often he’d been there. It all seemed so wonderfully melancholic and romantic!

Anyway, I guess the vague point of my ramble is that it got me to thinking just how ordinary an existence it all would’ve been and how easy it would’ve been for that knock at the door never to have never come and rescued him. It just makes me wonder what on earth would’ve happened to him, I can imagine him sticking out a mile in those surroundings, and yet so many people are like that in every town and never get the chance to escape. And somehow these drab surroundings seem to cultivate the most original of the species, like the soil that feeds the roots becomes and absolute intrinsic part of that person’s make-up, even if it can be so damaging- like it holds the duel power of nourishment and potential destruction. It just made me think that if Morrissey hadn’t have come from that he wouldn’t have had so much fire pent up inside him that gave The Smiths such an absolute and intense power and relevance- songs like Still Ill/ Hand In Glove would never have appeared.

I find it quite fascinating how you can never really escape your roots, whatever mark they’ve left on you. And I guess it just made me feel like I understood a little more of the story… twenty years too late?! What have been other people’s experiences of the Moz landmarks?

and the tram line- would that have been there in the 70’s/ 80’s? I know it wasn’t running then but I’m not sure how old the line is… even so, not the most picturesque view from a bedroom window- I wonder what he thought looking out on it all.

Nice story!
The train line has been there for over 100 years, they converted it to have the trams running on it in 1992. It was the Manchester / Altrincham / Chester line that ran out from Central Station (now G-Mex).
Morrissey's house doesnt back on to the line though, Kings Road bends away from the line slightly and a little close attached to the road goes round the back of the house and next to the line. But I'm sure this is where he got the line in 'Nowhere Fast'
'and when a train goes by, it's such a sad sound' as every 15 minutes in each direction throughout the day (at home and at school the otherside of the tracks) he would have heard the said sound.

Jukebox Jury

I am planning to go to Manchester this May (probably around the 22nd - seems like as good a date as any I could have plucked from the year) to visit a friend of mine and spend the day wandering round all the key sites. I plan to visit the cemetery and read poetry and kiss under the Iron Bridge, which will not be like the old days anymore (as I never kissed there back then) and then I will catch a bus from Piccadilly and get chased by thugs and throw all my loose change at them... I can't think of a more wonderful day!

I don't know how it will make me feel, perhaps a little more connected to the music and the man behind it, but I agree, people like that tend to come from underpriviledged backgrounds. I often think how much more I could have achieved if I'd been less priviledged... oh, wait... I was underpriviledged as a child... poor, religious back ground, working town with low employment and high teenage pregnancies... so why have I not achieved? Ah yes, I am a lazy cow. See, here is the key difference... Morrissey was not really pining away in his room all day long writing frightening verse to a bucktoothed girl. He was actually already getting out there making a name for himself. Otherwise Johnny wouldn't have come knocking at all.

Yes, that sort of background does inspire the music and lyrics, but you still have to want it enough and believe in yourself enough to make it happen. That's why Morrissey made it while so many of the rest of us remain dreamers who are waiting to be discovered.

I guess I really should start writing that great novel I am always thinking about!

Last edited:
Morrissey's house doesnt back on to the line though, Kings Road bends away from the line slightly and a little close attached to the road goes round the back of the house and next to the line. But I'm sure this is where he got the line in 'Nowhere Fast'
'and when a train goes by, it's such a sad sound' as every 15 minutes in each direction throughout the day (at home and at school the otherside of the tracks) he would have heard the said sound.

Jukebox Jury

Thanks for that information, it surprised me to see how close the tram line was and that lyric definitely sprung to mind! I also live close to a railway line and it is somehow a strangely sad sound.

Morrissey was not really pining away in his room all day long writing frightening verse to a bucktoothed girl. He was actually already getting out there making a name for himself. Otherwise Johnny wouldn't have come knocking at all.

Yes, that sort of background does inspire the music and lyrics, but you still have to want it enough and believe in yourself enough to make it happen. That's why Morrissey made it while so many of the rest of us remain dreamers who are waiting to be discovered.

Do you really think so? I know he didn't waste his time with the amount of writing/ research he filled his time with which admittedly does take a lot of motivation and determination when you don't know for sure what it will lead to, if anything. I guess he must have had a lot of self-belief and recognised his talent- it still amazes me he wrote 'The Hand That Rocks The Cradle' sat in that back room at 20 years old or whatever he was, I'm so in awe of that. But I can't help but think that a large degree of luck and timing played a significant part in his eventual escape- I really do think it a possibility that he could have failed to find success and he may have been forced to channel his efforts elsewhere. Or just even given up on life as he seemed so unwilling to compromise. I so admire that, it's a potentially very dangerous attitude to have and yes, I guess that's not a path many of us are brave enough to pursue. Maybe it takes a certain kind of madness to be that determined?!

I'm just not so sure he was getting out there and making the impression he wanted, and I wonder if it hadn't been Johnny who asked him to form a band and just some other random musician who wasn't half as talented, would it've worked? Would anything have come of it or Morrissey then? Endless questions to think about I guess.

I hope you enjoy the trip in May and don't freeze to death like I did yesterday!

I think you miss the point of what Kitty was saying. The only reason Johnny went to ask Morrissey to form a band with him is because Morrissey had already made a name for himself and people had recommended him to Johnny.

I plan to visit the cemetery and read poetry and kiss under the Iron Bridge

Good luck kissing underneath the bridge.
First you have to scale a rusty 6 foot fence, then land knee deep in stinging nettles and other over grown weeds etc, surrounded by litter, glass, needles and who knows what!
I suggest you stay on the staircase and bridge and read the grafitti!

Jukebox Jury

I think you miss the point of what Kitty was saying. The only reason Johnny went to ask Morrissey to form a band with him is because Morrissey had already made a name for himself and people had recommended him to Johnny.

I read somewhere that Billy Duffy who played with Morrissey in Nosebleeders recommended Johnny to see him.

That’s true… but is having a mutual acquaintance the same as having a reputation?! It seems he was always considered on the periphery of the music scene. My main point though was just that it was Johnny who made the move, would Morrissey have done the same in a switched position I wonder, maybe he would’ve just taken longer getting there if he had been left to his own devices.

My main point though was just that it was Johnny who made the move, would Morrissey have done the same in a switched position I wonder

I agree totally. I have long stated that The Smiths was Johnny's band. He knew Joe Moss, searched for a singer, knew Andy Rourke and various contacts through previous bands etc. And of course, when Johnny left, the whole thing (sadly) fell apart.

Jukebox Jury

I remember driving past the job centre in Stretford and feeling a bit odd :) - so many references!

I used to live in moss side for 10 years then moved to cornwall i went back thier couple months ago had a stoll around stretford hulme nothing seems to change life seems to stay still it is hard to belive such a genius came from such a bland place but i still love it thier.

that was a lovely story.
it's nice to know that a genius was not hindered by a drab surrounding...gives me an ounce of hope if anything

I agree totally. I have long stated that The Smiths was Johnny's band. He knew Joe Moss, searched for a singer, knew Andy Rourke and various contacts through previous bands etc. And of course, when Johnny left, the whole thing (sadly) fell apart.

Jukebox Jury

Because Johnny threatened to sue if they carried on.

The Smiths was a partnership of two people and Johnny has said himself the drive and ambition came from Morrissey.

It was nice seeing the Moz inspired graffiti on the bridge;

Haha. Don't tell anyone. Think that might have been me and Lilybett about 2 months ago. When we went, there was only stuff like "Morrissey sucks cock" etc so we bought pens from the local shop and decorated it. I know its a culturally iconic place etc etc but I'm glad someone appreciated our graffiti. Such as 'Meat is Murder' etc and my picture of Morrissey, which was beautiful.

interesting topic and a great read, thanks for all the posts.. two of my best friends went to manchester yesterday and sent me a picture of the Salford Lads Club today to let me know they´re thinking of me and that they´re doing some morrissey/smiths sightseeing.. i thought that was really sweet..

Was i the only one who thought this thread was going to be about whetehr Morrissey dyed his grey roots?

I had the chance to wander around Stretford yesterday which was a vaguely surreal experience somehow. It was just so strange to be in a place so loaded with meaning- so special in some weird way and yet the streets are pretty much like anywhere else in Lancashire and the locals seemed horribly oblivious to the importance of the place! Getting off the tram it was almost like stepping into some mock town that contained all the relevant landmarks; it all seemed vaguely unreal. Then walking down Kings Road and standing looking over at 384, a totally unremarkable house- so familiar, with life going on all around, yet I felt horribly sentimental! I could almost imagine the ghost of twenty years ago walking the street, or Johnny Marr nervously approaching the gate. And seeing the local shops he would’ve used, the post box he most likely sent his many letters off from, then the dismal and slightly decrepit iron bridge he walked over so often, it really set the scene of his life back then.

It was nice seeing the Moz inspired graffiti on the bridge; it reassured me I hadn’t made the whole thing up! Looking out from the view at the top of those stairs and across the concrete back yards of the houses, and the tram line- would that have been there in the 70’s/ 80’s? I know it wasn’t running then but I’m not sure how old the line is… even so, not the most picturesque view from a bedroom window- I wonder what he thought looking out on it all. Then I sat in the near-by park amongst all the daffodils and wondered how often he’d been there. It all seemed so wonderfully melancholic and romantic!

Anyway, I guess the vague point of my ramble is that it got me to thinking just how ordinary an existence it all would’ve been and how easy it would’ve been for that knock at the door never to have never come and rescued him. It just makes me wonder what on earth would’ve happened to him, I can imagine him sticking out a mile in those surroundings, and yet so many people are like that in every town and never get the chance to escape. And somehow these drab surroundings seem to cultivate the most original of the species, like the soil that feeds the roots becomes and absolute intrinsic part of that person’s make-up, even if it can be so damaging- like it holds the duel power of nourishment and potential destruction. It just made me think that if Morrissey hadn’t have come from that he wouldn’t have had so much fire pent up inside him that gave The Smiths such an absolute and intense power and relevance- songs like Still Ill/ Hand In Glove would never have appeared.

I find it quite fascinating how you can never really escape your roots, whatever mark they’ve left on you. And I guess it just made me feel like I understood a little more of the story… twenty years too late?! What have been other people’s experiences of the Moz landmarks?

That was beautiful - thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom