New Smiths/ Moz books to be published

Dougal

Latest edition of Bookseller UK magazine previews the following forthcoming books-

'The Smiths- The Early Years' Paul Slattery. Sept 07. £19.95. Photos of the early years.. but then you guessed that surely? Published by 'Vision On'.

'Morrissey: The Pageant of His Bleeding Heart' Gavin Hopps. Aug 07. £12.99. Publisher- Continuum. Bookseller says 'This (over ambitiously?) attempts to position Morrissey in the ranks of the Great British Poets'. Must admit, the title alone makes me uneasy...

Of course, they may never materialise, like so much else promised.

Latest edition of Bookseller UK magazine previews the following forthcoming books-

'The Smiths- The Early Years' Paul Slattery. Sept 07. £19.95. Photos of the early years.. but then you guessed that surely? Published by 'Vision On'.

'Morrissey: The Pageant of His Bleeding Heart' Gavin Hopps. Aug 07. £12.99. Publisher- Continuum. Bookseller says 'This (over ambitiously?) attempts to position Morrissey in the ranks of the Great British Poets'. Must admit, the title alone makes me uneasy...

Of course, they may never materialise, like so much else promised.

Bleeding Heart?

In the pub before the first of the G-mex gigs last December, I was chatting to a woman who told me that her friend was writing a book that compared Moz to the romantic writers. This must be it?

^Could well be- makes me think of that interview where Mark Ellen accuses Moz of being an 'ailing Victorian Romantic with a permanent health problem' and He retorts 'that's not, as far as I'm concerned, a slur'. Ha!

Sounds like an interesting premise for a long essay/ article but a book? Not sure. Ah well, the latter day privilege of being allowed to blatantly read books in bookshops means no money need be spent unnecessarily.

I heard there is a 'Morrissey's London' book coming out, similar to the 'Morrissey's Manchester' book.

But what do I know.....?

Jukebox Jury.

Bleeding Heart?

In the pub before the first of the G-mex gigs last December, I was chatting to a woman who told me that her friend was writing a book that compared Moz to the romantic writers. This must be it?

Considering Dr Hopps has wrote (see link below) books on Byron and Coleridge, I'm pretty sure this is it. :)

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/itia/publications.html#recent

Gavin Hopps, Morrissey: The Pageant of His Bleeding Heart (Continuum, 2007). This is an academic study of the singer and songwriter Morrissey, which examines his work - as a solo artist and with The Smiths - in the light of the English Literary tradition.

http://www.bol.de/shop/home/artikeldetails/morrissey_the_pageant_of_his_bleeding_heart/gavin_hopps/ISBN0-8264-1866-X/ID14319075.html

Just found this link. If any Germans on the site could translate, it would be helpful. Using Google Translator, it reads:

Morrissey is arguably the greatest disturbance popular music has more ever known. In his brilliant and original book, Gavin Hopps of examines the work OF this compelling by molder, whose intelligence, humour, suffering and awkwardness have fascinated audiences around the world for the read 25 years. This penetrating study OF Morrissey's oeuvre, proves both erudite and accessible, and of argues convincingly for Morrissey's inclusion into the pantheon OF literary greats.

BTW, the title of the book comes from a Matthew Arnold poem "Stanzas from the Grande Chartreuse" which you can read below:

http://rpo.library.utoronto.ca/poem/106.html

I'm rather looking forward to this one ....:)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Queer musician Morrissey’s enigmatic nature might lose some of its mystery in a new book coming out in April: “Morrissey: The Pageant of His Bleeding Heart.” Author Gavin Hopps takes a particularly long look at Morrissey’s outsider status and musical point of view. Hopps audaciously compares Morrissey to several other legendary gay artists, including Christina Rossetti and Oscar Wilde.

No need to say, this "article" was on a gay news site :rolleyes:

http://www.washblade.com/2007/3-30/arts/books/10307.cfm

I hope this one sees the light of the day.. I'm so fed up with Amazon delaying the shipping of that Essential Interviews book i pre ordered back... IN NOVEMBER!!! But I'll keep waiting... All for Morrissey's sake.

I hope this one sees the light of the day.. I'm so fed up with Amazon delaying the shipping of that Essential Interviews book i pre ordered back... IN NOVEMBER!!! But I'll keep waiting... All for Morrissey's sake.

So you payed for the book and they haven´t send it yet?? it's listed
- with Price: £9.89 , etc...

How strange!!:confused: :(

When I see the title, all I can hear in my head is Barbara Windsor lamenting, in a cockney voice..."The pageant of his bleedin' heart."

I'll get me coat (again).

Peter

At least it's a different take on The Mozfather. I thought, before opening the thread, that I was going to have to wish a 'Johnny Rogan- M3 Pile-up' fantasy on somebody but, happily, it wasn't so.

Shit title for the second one, although I quite like the concept myself.

I heard there is a 'Morrissey's London' book coming out, similar to the 'Morrissey's Manchester' book.

But what do I know.....?

Jukebox Jury.

sounds interesting, will this tome cross the great North/South divide?

love

Grim

Back
Top Bottom