Moz mentioned in article about Jarvis

lilikoi

on a page about Jarvis and his new album in the austrian news magazine Profil, it says something like:

his lyrics reflect the frustration with the stupdity of this world and his will to describe this stupidity. he sings about discos, drugs, shopping and f***ing, and mostly about the moring after. his songs transform daily life into prose and literature - like Morrissey's songs have already done so a decade earlier.

I'm pretty sure Jarvis really doesn't like Morrissey though. He might like Moz's earlier work but I was reading an interview with him where the journalist slagged off Moz and he definitly agreed.
I think there are alot of similarities between the too but moz's song can be harder to understand- Pulps were 'I met a girl in art college, he wanted to live with common people'

I know - Jarvis also said Moz has a horrible voice, for which I HATE HIM.
I also don't think that Morrissey and Jarvis lyrics have much in common. I like Jarvis but when does Moz ever write about discos, hangovers and ecstasy?
naaa.
but austrian journalists, of course, don't understand the lyrics all that well anyway - so british with brains means jarvis and moz ;-)

sounds like the article was a bit catty towards jarvis... with the ten years after bit!

I'm pretty sure Jarvis really doesn't like Morrissey though. He might like Moz's earlier work but I was reading an interview with him where the journalist slagged off Moz and he definitly agreed.
I think there are alot of similarities between the too but moz's song can be harder to understand- Pulps were 'I met a girl in art college, he wanted to live with common people'

Yes I read that article recently also I think the journalist mentioned Morrissey and they both raised their eyes to heaven. Interesting though my girlfriend works as an aer hostess for aer fungus and Moz and Jarvis flew into Dublin together on her flight. She said they were both talking away for the whole flight and seemed friendly. Who knows? It was about a year ago

cossy

:)

my girlfriend works as an aer hostess for aer fungus and Moz and Jarvis flew into Dublin together on her flight. :)

oh my - I'm in the wrong business! to have them both trapped and at my mercy in a metal object high up in the sky would be a delight ;-)

aer fungus??? for real???? do they serve magic mushrooms for lunch or is this the anti athletes foot airline?
:D :D :D

oh my - I'm in the wrong business! to have them both trapped and at my mercy in a metal object high up in the sky would be a delight ;-)

aer fungus??? for real???? do they serve magic mushrooms for lunch or is this the anti athletes foot airline?
:D :D :D

yes true story its aer lingus actually irelands national airline but moz has refered to the airline as aer fungus a couple of times in his dublin concerts jokingly. She has had the pleasure of flying with Moz 4 or 5 times as well as Michael Stipe and of course Bobo (Bono)

cossy

:D

eeek I think a hostage situation would arrise :D My plan would be 'woops oh I'm so sorry Mr. morrissey I've spilt a drink on your knee, let me clean that up.. oh no now I've fallen onto your lap!' :p

eeek I think a hostage situation would arrise :D My plan would be 'woops oh I'm so sorry Mr. morrissey I've spilt a drink on your knee, let me clean that up.. oh no now I've fallen onto your lap!' :p

or: welcome to aer fungus, mister morrissey, let me serve you an entree of very special mushrooms that will alleviate your fear of flying and make you want to fly away into space and eternity with me.... so, sit back and relax and turn on, tune in, drop out..... :D

oooook - this thread is getting silly. I'll stop with my mushroom phantasies.

Absolutely brilliant Christine!! ;)

Jarvis and Morrissey might very well have mutual respect in private.

But Jarvis comeback rested very much on critical approval from journalists as he doesn't have the type of fanbase that Morrissey enjoys (see his chart positions for proof) so it would be in his interest to suck up to an interviewer and pretend he had the same views about Morrissey. Just like in the nineties very few artists had good things to say about Morrissey because it would be asking for negative reviews.

I like Pulp - Different Class and His 'n' Hers were great albums. But sometimes I can't help thinking that Jarvis is a poor man's Morrissey :rolleyes: . When he gets it right, he's brilliant, the rest of the time... not so much. Insulting Moz hardly helps him.

His current single is one of the dreariest records ever to be played on the radio. It has no energy at all. The hype hasn't lived up to the actuality. The problem with Jarvis is people liked him too much as a personality and he fell in love with himself as a celebrity.

I also don't think that Morrissey and Jarvis lyrics have much in common. I like Jarvis but when does Moz ever write about discos, hangovers and ecstasy?
naaa.
but austrian journalists, of course, don't understand the lyrics all that well anyway - so british with brains means jarvis and moz ;-)
Well, they didn't actually say that they share the same themes - only that "his songs transform daily life into prose and literature - like Morrissey's songs have already done so a decade earlier".

I didn't know that Jarvis said Moz had a horrible voice. Have you heard the early Pulp albums? He only started singing like the Jarvis that most people know on "Separations". The 80s' Jarvis sang in an rather weird, extremely deep and monotoneous baritone - as if someone is doing a parody of early Morrissey, or someone is trying to imitate him and ending up sounding a bit funny. Although it was probably Jarvis trying to sound like Scott Walker.

I didn't know that Jarvis said Moz had a horrible voice. Have you heard the early Pulp albums? He only started singing like the Jarvis that most people know on "Separations". The 80s' Jarvis sang in an rather weird, extremely deep and monotoneous baritone - as if someone is doing a parody of early Morrissey, or someone is trying to imitate him and ending up sounding a bit funny. Although it was probably Jarvis trying to sound like Scott Walker.

yes, I have some early Pulp stuff - jarvis was indeed very monotonous back then - but still better than now... (his new album gets 5 stars everywhere but I think it's quite lame. his voice is ruined by cigarettes while moz gets better and better :p )

Absolutely brilliant Christine!!

thank you, it's a method that's tried and tested ...for me ;)

That interview where the journalist and Jarvis both rolled their eye wa and in the Sunday Times and seeing as though that has to be the most soulless (well maybe :o ) paper alive, it could've just been the journalist slagged Moz off and then added the jarvis :rolleyes: , cos that seems to happen ALOT in that ppaer aswell as just slagging off moz in random articles. Like that one on 'cool gays' where they said 'we're not talking about nOrtherns who dont come out till their 40s ala Moz' :mad: Plus stop putting people in boxs u rubbish paper 'cool gays', 'yummie mummies', bleh

naaa.

I thought I once read that Morrissey said that JARVIS had a horrible voice, not vice versa.
In fact, I'm certain I read that in the NME.

I thought I once read that Morrissey said that JARVIS had a horrible voice, not vice versa.
In fact, I'm certain I read that in the NME.

he probably said that :D

I have no actual quote of jarvis saying that moz has a horrbile voice but steve whatever, the pulp bass player, is quoted as saying "the smiths were just doing the same thing over and over again and morrissey has such a horrible voice" in the book "truth and beauty" about pulp.

he probably said that :D

I have no actual quote of jarvis saying that moz has a horrbile voice but steve whatever, the pulp bass player, is quoted as saying "the smiths were just doing the same thing over and over again and morrissey has such a horrible voice" in the book "truth and beauty" about pulp.
The only mention of Jarvis in a Morrissey interview I've come across was once when he was asked how he feels being called "Jarvis Cocker's father" :eek: and he answered "At least it's not Joe Cocker!" :D What a weird metaphor that was, considering that Pulp started at about the same time as The Smiths and that Jarvis is just 4 years younger than Moz.

Back
Top Bottom