lets rake up morrisseys mistakes career wise

speedfreaks ball

psychobilly member
morrisseys 3 biggest mistakes of his 25 yr old career are for me...

1. releasing "heaven knows im miserable " as a single in the early days this was always going to type cast him as a singer of wrist slashing songs to the casual observer as it does to this day

2. the childish skit with the nme causing some of his finest work from a great period to be eclipsed by brit pop.

3. that "red butlins jacket "on jonathan ross .

Supporting David Bowie (although technically he did rectify this himself, quite sharpish). A mistake nontheless.

I'll rake up more, as they come to mind...

1) Some of his single choices have been poor over the years especially compared to some of the accompanying b-sides. During the Maladjusted period he released Roy's Keen as a single and Lost as a b-side when it really should have been the other way round.

2) Not touring to support the release of Vauxhall & I.

3) Letting his solo period artwork decline over the years.

4) Playing areana's in recent years. These places are soulless and a rip-off for fans.

5) His continued talking to Julia at every gig. This is insulting to every fan who has supported his career.

morrisseys 3 biggest mistakes of his 25 yr old career are for me...

1. releasing "heaven knows im miserable " as a single in the early days this was always going to type cast him as a singer of wrist slashing songs to the casual observer as it does to this day

2. the childish skit with the nme causing some of his finest work from a great period to be eclipsed by brit pop.

3. that "red butlins jacket "on jonathan ross .

You can hardly blame Morrissey for the NME capers. What was he to do? As I recall, Steven Wells couldn't write two lines without insulting Morrissey in some way or another, and this was before the J'Accuse edition that had the writs poised.

As always, my reference is my own rather patchy memory (I can't stand googlers), so names blah blah blah....

You can hardly blame Morrissey for the NME capers. What was he to do? As I recall, Steven Wells couldn't write two lines without insulting Morrissey in some way or another, and this was before the J'Accuse edition that had the writs poised.

As always, my reference is my own rather patchy memory (I can't stand googlers), so names blah blah blah....

probrably just as childish on both sides you know how these things snowball

1) Some of his single choices have been poor over the years especially compared to some of the accompanying b-sides. During the Maladjusted period he released Roy's Keen as a single and Lost as a b-side when it really should have been the other way round.

Not to mention The Edges Are No Longer Parallel and This Is Not Your Country.

oh yes - and whos idea was it to put him up directley against razorlight at this years v festival?

I don't think you can include things you personally don't like as career mistakes. Just because you disagree with the artist about their work doesn't mean they are mistakes.

Things like not touring at specific times are valid, as well as breaking with managers and the like.

I think the NME thing was completely out of Morrissey's control. They had decided they didn't like him anymore and he wasn't "cool" to support. No amount of sucking up by Morrissey would have made any difference. They would have still slagged him off but made him seem even more pathetic by portraying him as desperate to get their praise. The only thing he could do is try to keep his dignity.

trying to win the crowd over with waving a 'union jack' at support for madness...
shouldn't supported them in the first place, he wasn't back the next day!
then the whole NMpee debate about is morrissey a racist really took on!
morrissey isn't going to win over middle age skin heads with flags! as it was the union jack not the saint george's cross... the union jack was used by mods?

suppose most of these things are not morrisseys personal mistakes -rather bad management advice although does he listen to managers etc?

I'm sure some songs he plays delibrately to dilute their importance to let's say the more mature fan.

oh yes - and whos idea was it to put him up directley against razorlight at this years v festival?

I belive it was Sanctaury. From passions;

"After the Chelmsford festival three teenagers were killed in a car crash on their way home. Nobody knows what human life is... I had made the download request at V because Sanctuary had asked me to, and they had suggested it because we were faced yet again with zero airplay and the unassailable competition of all the usual marketing devices that would pull the mid-week #6 rug out from underneath us. It all seemed so unfair. We would be pushed out by 'artists' whose audience wouldn't fill an average kitchen in a Battersea council flat. Modern life is war."

Surely the one big mistake (if not a physical mistake, certainly a financial one) was not just settling up with Mike Joyce and getting on with it.

The Goat

trying to win the crowd over with waving a 'union jack' at support for madness...
shouldn't supported them in the first place, he wasn't back the next day!
then the whole NMpee debate about is morrissey a racist really took on!
morrissey isn't going to win over middle age skin heads with flags! as it was the union jack not the saint george's cross... the union jack was used by mods?

He wasn't trying to win the crowd over. Watch the video taken on the day, he waves the flag about for the length of a verse and chorus during Glamorous Glue. In much the same way he'd wave an Irish flag about, a banner saying The Queen is Dead or a noose. It was just a prop.

The NME just used it as an excuse to get at him because they'd already decided he was "over". That's how the music press work, they follow fashion. It was the only way they could attack him because his latest album was pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom