Is there a way to block trolls like CharethCutestory?

yeah, well you could add them to your ignore list?

The best way to ignore trolls is to write threads about them. I don't mean this thread, I mean other threads! ;-)

and for future reference don't put specific names in the title...that's a real ego booster...;)

Life is too short to waste time reading posts by trolls. Once identified as a trool, I'd like to block them. I'm certainly not going to give trolls the attention they crave and encourage their trolling. Is there a way to block trolls by their screen name?

So, just to clarify, what you're saying is that you'd like to not read posts from anyone who's opinions differ from your own? Why not just write to yourself then?

If you really don't want to read posts by somebody just add them to your ignore list and don't make a song and dance about it (they'll just get someone else to quote their posts at you if not).

Alternatively, and here is a whacky idea, when you look at a post, in the upper left corner it displays the user name of the person who wrote it. If that user name belongs to someone who's opinions you're a bit afraid of, just don't read it.

Science, made simple.

CharethCutestory isn't really a troll, he just has an opinion that is different to a lot of people here.

CharethCutestory isn't really a troll, he just has an opinion that is different to a lot of people here.

If by that you mean he has different views from those of us who actually admire Morrissey and enjoy his music, then you are probably correct.
I suspect that, rather like dazzak, chareth simply enjoys winding people up, and derives pleasure and satisfaction from upsetting people.
I'm inevitably led to this assumption when I consider the fact that neither of them has a good word to say about Morrissey, quite the contrary in fact, with most of their time here spent saying the same things in ever more crude and insulting language.
Still, while those two are more conspicuously hateful than most, the spiteful and vicious remarks posted recently by many others, regarding the relative merits of 'Sweetie-Pie', are further proof that people here very often engage their fingers before their brain has been located.
While I can appreciate that there are many and diverse reasons for visiting a singers fansite, I do find it puzzling why those that appear to visit simply to pour scorn and vitriol on anything and everything he does, and repeatedly demonstrate that they no longer regard the singer, or Morrissey in this case, as worthy of anything but contempt, would even bother going out of their way to come here.
Perhaps it really is simply what it appears to be, nothing more than petty spite?
Maybe they do the same thing on other fansites of singers and bands that they used to like?
Still, we're all prone to bouts of odd behaviour on occasion, maybe it's best to just take chareth's advice and simply ignore his malevolence.

chareth simply enjoys winding people up, and derives pleasure and satisfaction from upsetting people

Agreed. He's definitely not a troll but someone always posting the exact opposite of what's been said before just because he wants to be different. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I mean: everyone wants to be extraordinaire. But it's really boring sometimes. And not very mature.

Chareth isn't a troll. I join this trembling rugby scrum of human kindness-- reluctantly-- and also will put in a good word for dazzak, who, despite an acid tongue, doesn't have any trollish DNA either, and whose absence from these boards would really, really suck.

These boards have a lot of negativity, from unhinged hatred to cooler analyses, simply because there's not a whole lot to talk about when it comes to praising Morrissey. Compare the threads on this site. Negative discussions bring out dozens of interesting replies and sometimes lengthy polemics (of which I am too often guilty) while positive ones tend to be, "Poll: Best Song!" or "Do You Like Morrissey With Or Without Glasses?" I think the reason for this is that most people love Morrissey in their own way, privately and with unique interpretations of the songs. There's not a lot of common ground between fans. It's a testament to Morrissey's greatness that his songs have universal appeal and yet we all find our own way of appreciating them. Except in a few extreme cases of (real) trolls, none of us would be here if we didn't love the man's work.

Being an expert in the field, and having outed a number of trolls right here on Morrissey-solo, I am here to say that indeed Chareth is NOT a troll. Much like Theo, it is not he who is winding people up, but his opinions, which happen to differ from the majority of Morrissey fans. Since we try to live in a civilized, democratic society (most of us here at least), then people like Chareth must be allowed to exist. If you do not like his views, you can join in on the argument and say things like, "I disagree, here's why.." or "shut the f*** up you asshole."

Do you understand?

I don't have much to add to what Worm and Puddle said, except that this board would wither away and die without people like Chareth, Theo and the others. I even miss JoRo. Myself, I'm way too lazy to add anything substantive to the discourse, but it does make much better reading than when everyone's uptight and displaying good manners. Thanks, you guys.

Life is too short to waste time reading posts by trolls. Once identified as a trool, I'd like to block them. I'm certainly not going to give trolls the attention they crave and encourage their trolling. Is there a way to block trolls by their screen name?

This whole thread seems to have back fired on you dear. It's made you look like a bit of a f***wit.

Shall we just forget that it ever happened?

Back
Top Bottom