fans I've met

Most fans of The Smiths and Morrissey I have met have turned out to be Queer bashers, Racists and Football hooligans, strange. What are your experiences? I'm not suggesting any of you people fall into the above catagories.

Half have been sad twats, the other half really nice, chatty normal people. This is solely from a total of about 18 hours standing in the queue outside the gigs I've been to, though. I haven't exactly got my finger on the pulse of the community.

That's slightly strange - queer-bashers, racists, football hooligans.. and yet they like Morrissey?:confused: I come from a very working-class area of Yorkshire and most of the men I've met either despise Morrissey and wish him to die an excruciatingly painful death, or are fiercely obsessive over him and willing to get into fights in his honour. There seems to be few in-betweens, and unfortunately no women I know like him at all :mad:

That's slightly strange - queer-bashers, racists, football hooligans.. and yet they like Morrissey?:confused: I come from a very working-class area of Yorkshire and most of the men I've met either despise Morrissey and wish him to die an excruciatingly painful death, or are fiercely obsessive over him and willing to get into fights in his honour. There seems to be few in-betweens, and unfortunately no women I know like him at all :mad:

Well....you may come across a few women who quite like on on 'ere dear!:rolleyes:

It seems to me that the songs of The Smiths and Morrissey connect to the frenzied brains of such people who fail to really understand the underlying meaning of many more provocative titles, after all the music does have a riotous effect on even the most placid creature. Not many ladies though, I agree.

I do have the Smiths to thank for one very unfortunate night though.. a few weeks back, I was sitting at the bar in a pub in town while my beautiful stepsister was busy reducing most of the male inhabitants to drooling wrecks :rolleyes: . I saw a man, about 5 years older than me wearing a Smiths T-Shirt, and short of running up to him and congratulating him on his music taste, I asked the DJ to play some Smiths. "How Soon Is Now?" came on (fittingly in my current situation), and said man walked over to me, asked who the f*** did I think I was, taking the p*** out the Smiths, "I bet you don't even know who Morrissey is, you ugly fat c***". :eek: I didn't even get a chance to justify myself cos he stormed back into the corner with his friends.:o A bit too defensive if you ask me...

^^ That sounds surreal! Thanks for sharing, now I'm prepared... just in case :eek:

What Part Of Yorkshire :D

I do have the Smiths to thank for one very unfortunate night though.. a few weeks back, I was sitting at the bar in a pub in town while my beautiful stepsister was busy reducing most of the male inhabitants to drooling wrecks :rolleyes: . I saw a man, about 5 years older than me wearing a Smiths T-Shirt, and short of running up to him and congratulating him on his music taste, I asked the DJ to play some Smiths. "How Soon Is Now?" came on (fittingly in my current situation), and said man walked over to me, asked who the f*** did I think I was, taking the p*** out the Smiths, "I bet you don't even know who Morrissey is, you ugly fat c***". :eek: I didn't even get a chance to justify myself cos he stormed back into the corner with his friends.:o A bit too defensive if you ask me...

What a wanker......

not many people around here know who the smiths/morrissey are. which is at times frustrating but then again i don't socialize enough to care too much.
the "fans" that i've met are either "the best of" or "girlfriend in a coma/charming man/how soon is now/panic" fans so they can't really be that passionate about the band/the man.

but there's one person in particular ( a dreadful young man) in one of my classes who claims he is a "smiths fan but hates morrissey". i dislike him immensely because he thinks he's so smart by making those claims. he is very rude and awkward and has a high opinion of himself, when in fact, he is just a confused, self conscious, frustrated egoist.

i really wish he stopped claiming that he's a smiths fan because it makes us all look bad....most people that i've encountered on this message board for a brief time that i've been on here (my first forum experience, truly unique, i didn't even know these things exsisted!) are NOT pretentious. i find most people on here rather open minded and pleseant.

instead of starting a new thread, how many of you have encountered "smiths" fans who "hate morrissey" and if you have, don't you think they're the most annoying people in the whole wide world!?!?!?!

lol yes I was going to call him some particularly vicious names at the time too :mad: . Maybe it was crass of me to ask for a Smiths song played when I knew he was wearing the shirt though - I know if the tables had been turned and it was me wearing the shirt, I wouldn't have known where to look when HSIN came on. Almost a test of your fandom so to speak - he thought I was mocking him for liking them, which is an unusual attitude to take. :confused: All fans are different I guess. And in reply to which part of Yorkshire .. the West lol, near Wakefield?

Not that far then lol I live in Bradford you going to the Manchester gig on 23rd?

Whenever I hear a Smiths/Moz song, I feel the eyes of the world are bearing down on me. lol

at a concert I was at in Marley Park in August there were lots of skinhead 20 somethings who kept shouting play suedehead and pushing me

Not that far then lol I live in Bradford you going to the Manchester gig on 23rd?

Nope, the Nottingham one on the 5th hopefully :) first-ever Morrissey gig, I can't wait!!!! :p :D

Hmm... I'd say about 65% of fans I meet (which is quite a lot all things considered) are good people who are perfectly reasonable and I get on really well with. However, from going to gigs and Moz discos and tribute bands etc etc there are a lot of people who are complete twats and who I just don't think 'get it' in many ways.

For example, people try to be Morrissey. And I don't mean like having a quiff, but, for example, anyone who says that something is 'handsome' is a twat. Unless they use it as in 'he's a handsome guy' or what have you. And people who try to be witty like Morrissey who just aren't clever enough to do it but don't realise it as well.

And then you've got the absolute worst fans. The ones that think they're special and that it matters to Morrissey what they do. Ones that feel that they have to be down the front. If possible I want to be front row for gigs, but because I like it more. I don't want to be front row, like some of these do, because I think Morrissey will notice if I'm not! I've been to more gigs than most on the last two tours, but I'm not deluded enough to think that Moz either notices or cares either way about my attendence, and there are people out there who do. And I know because they've told me. Idiots. These people, and those who seem to think that any song is 'so about me' annoy me no end.

But most are fine :)

I like to use the English language and prefer not to use foul language, it's not just a Morrissey thing it's the way I was brought up. I never think to clip my sentences just because someone may take it the wrong way.

Back
Top Bottom