Question

Alabaster is the white material that a judge's hammer (I think that's what it's called) is made from - so when it 'crashes down' in 'Shoplifters', it's the judge sentencing Morrissey to six months for his 'listed crime'. Cheers :D

What does "Alabaster crashes down, six months is a long time" line on 'Shoplifters...' means?

This was asked some time ago and I was roundly ridiculed for suggesting a sexual explanation.

I think you've got to consider the song as a whole. Remember, Morrissey is a master wordsmith, and he's a genius at giving us lines that can be interpreted in two or more ways. At the time the song was written, we had the Clause 28/Section 28 debate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_28), and looking back now, I'm sure I remember there was some suggestion of Shoplifters being used as a replacement for "Shirtlifters". Anyway, back to the song...I believe Morrissey very cleverly juxtaposes the scenario of the shoplifter being caught, and the shop fixtures smashing as he is apprehended by the store detective, and the actual sexual act. I always thought Morrissey was very clear in his intentions with these lines - on the face if it, as I mention above, a straightforward case of a miscreant being apprehended, but on the other hand - alabaster as semen? "A heartless hand on my shoulder, a push and it's over, alabaster crashes down, six months is a long time".

So on the one hand you have the criminal shoplifter being sent down for six months, on the other hand there is the scenario that gay sex is being persecuted once again, and that the perpetrator, the persecuted perpetrator is being sent to jail for another example of the state's oppression, in this case the section 28 legislation. Hence Morrissey's call for Shop/Shirt lifters of the World to unite and take over.

I think it's a fantastic example of Morrissey's lyrical genius, and the wonderful word-play he is capable of.

Peter

Last edited:
The sexual reading of "Shoplifters" is possible, I suppose, but try reading the lyrics with "I've Changed My Plea To Guilty" in mind. The two songs are very much in the same vein. "Crime" and "punishment"-- being guilty, "incarcerated", and, given the rancid state of the world, not minding a bit.

The "listed crime" might be homosexuality, but I think, if that's true, it's just one small detail that doesn't determine the song's entire point of view. The main theme of the song is disillusion with the world. And the reading of the "six months" line must account for the way he sings it, which to my ears has always sounded as follows:

A heartless hand on my shoulder
A push and it's over
Alabaster crashes down
Six months is a long time; I tried living in the real world
Instead of a shell
But before I began
I was bored before I even began​

In this reading "alabaster crashes down" is Morrissey imagining a hand pushing him over a cliff, his body figuratively an alabaster statue smashing to pieces on the rocks below (reminding us of "Shakespeare's Sister"). The "six months" refers not to a jail sentence but to "living in the real world", or making an attempt to fit in with society. I've always heard the song that way, with "alabaster crashes down" finishing one thought and "Six months/I tried living" being another.

Other readings are possible, though, as "Shoplifters" is clearly related to some emotional issues that Morrissey doesn't really name. It's rather vague. The homosexual subtext might be there, but only in the way it is linked to crime; the real subject is social alienation and politically-tinged despondency. In my opinion the song's hints at "criminal" sexuality are minor, and overall it has more in common with something like The Beautiful South's "I've Come For My Award".

Thanks for that UncleSk. Very thorough, and it is also my understanding that this verse contains the double entendre that you explained.

Just to clarify what alabaster is - literally - though:
"Alabaster (sometimes called satin spar) is a name applied to varieties of two distinct minerals: gypsum (a hydrous sulfate of calcium) and the calcite (a carbonate of calcium)" (from wikipedia)

There are many lamps and light fixtures made from alabaster, so your suggestion (for the more obvious/literal interpretation of those lines in the song) of the shop fixtures crashing down while he is captured is a good one. That was also my interpretation for the "alabaster" part.

I had not considered the idea of the judge's gavel being made of alabaster, but this one also seems plausible.

I think that he's making a comparison with people being criminalised for trivial things, either shoplifting or sexual indiscretions it doesn't matter what you think he's referring to (probably both), yet other people can wage war or create nuclear bombs and it's perfectly legal.

"My only weakness is a listed crime
But last night the plans of a future war
Was all I saw on channel four".

When you consider people go to prison for nicking something out of Woolworths yet down the road the arms factory is doing a roaring business you realise what a screwed up world we live in.

I have always taken the "alabaster" reference as representing the kind of tacky but expensive knick-knacks you get in department stores.....that in trying to steal something an elaborate display of such items has come "crashing down".....the point being that something expensive but useless...a mere trinket....has been stolen and was stolen for no other reason than the excitement of the act of stealing itself....a act born out of the tedium of everyday life....

Well...I know what I mean!!

There's been a few threads about the meaning of lyrics recently, and to my surprise songs which I thought had obvious meanings were read very differently by different people. It made me curious, for instance how do you understand "What Difference Does It Make"?

I have a suspicion about early Smiths songs like "What difference does it make".

My suspicion is some of them don't mean too much at all. In the sense that Morrissey was just putting together phrases that he thought were funny and clever and would catch people's attention rather than wanting to say anything really profound.

There are also songs where he's just rewritten his favourite films or books and they don't mean anything other than "I like this film".

Of course I know this is blasphemy to some fans.

There's been a few threads about the meaning of lyrics recently, and to my surprise songs which I thought had obvious meanings were read very differently by different people. It made me curious, for instance how do you understand "What Difference Does It Make"?

It's close to bedtime for me, but I always thought, wrongly or rightly, that What Difference... is a song about Moz and Linder.

Peter

I have a suspicion about early Smiths songs like "What difference does it make".

My suspicion is some of them don't mean too much at all. In the sense that Morrissey was just putting together phrases that he thought were funny and clever and would catch people's attention rather than wanting to say anything really profound.

There are also songs where he's just rewritten his favourite films or books and they don't mean anything other than "I like this film".

Of course I know this is blasphemy to some fans.

It's close to bedtime for me, but I always thought, wrongly or rightly, that What Difference... is a song about Moz and Linder.

Peter

See, this is what I meant, I thought it was obvious it was about bisexuality, and now I see it isn't obvious at all :) . Anyone else think it's about that or just me?

See, this is what I meant, I thought it was obvious it was about bisexuality, and now I see it isn't obvious at all :) . Anyone else think it's about that or just me?

That's the mystery about the lyrics. They mean different things to different people, and that's the way it should be. We can debate forever about the meaning, but at the end of the day, there's only one person who knows what the song is about. Vive la difference!

Peter

Peter

Why do you think so? There are other songs that have been speculated to be about Morrissey and Linder, and there are songs that made me think to myself "this could be about him and Linder", but I'm interested to know why you think that about "What Difference Does It Make"?

Why do you think so? There are other songs that have been speculated to be about Morrissey and Linder, and there are songs that made me think to myself "this could be about him and Linder", but I'm interested to know why you think that about "What Difference Does It Make"?

Well, it's late, but...

I always thought this song is a man explaining to his lady that he, ahem, plays for both sides, as Drunken Goldfish asserts above. I see the song as the chap saying "Look, I may swing both ways, but I'd die for you, I still love you, so why does it matter that I just told you that? What difference does it make?".

Look, all songs are open to interpretation, and it's great it is that way. Vive la difference, encore une fois.

Peter

Well, it's late, but...

I always thought this song is a man explaining to his lady that he, ahem, plays for both sides, as Drunken Goldfish asserts above. I see the song as the chap saying "Look, I may swing both ways, but I'd die for you, I still love you, so why does it matter that I just told you that? What difference does it make?".

Look, all songs are open to interpretation, and it's great it is that way. Vive la difference, encore une fois.

Peter
I've heard that interpretation many times, and that could be the reason to think that it was about Morrissey's relationship with a girl. But in that case, I would think Linder would be the last person that song could be about, considering her views on gender politics/sexuality. I would think she's be the least likely person to have prejudices of that kind.

You are aware that there were other girls Morrissey was friends or "friends" with in his pre-Smiths days?

I've heard that interpretation many times, and that could be the reason to think that it was about Morrissey's relationship with a girl. But in that case, I would think Linder would be the last person that song could be about, considering her views on gender politics/sexuality. I would think she's be the least likely person to have prejudices of that kind.

You are aware that there were other girls Morrissey was friends or "friends" with in his pre-Smiths days?

Of course I'm aware of that. And reading your points re Linder, I realise that the Linder interpretation is but one of many readings. The letters to Robert Mackie, and especially the bits regarding Annalisa Jablonska (who would provide vocals on some tracks) almost give the game away. Anyway, I take your point regarding Linder.

Best Wishes,

Peter

I've never been entirely sure what that song is about. Regarding the bisexuality interpretation, it's possible, but not really that obvious - because many of the lines don't add up: "but now you make me feel so ashamed because I've only got two hands", "the devil will find work for idle hands to do" - these lines point out to joblessness/poverty (a very frequent theme in early Smiths songs) rather than anything related to sexuality. Am I right that people base the sexuality interpretation only on the line "all men have secrets" and the mention of "prejudice"?

Interesting insights - especially about Alabaster referring to the judge's gavel, though a quick google search didn't .

I've always interpreted alabaster as referring to "alabaster skin", suggesting that the narrator is untouched, inexperienced or fragile, but has now fallen.

Back
Top Bottom