Soundchecks / Instrumentals

Can this go on MegaUplaod, torrents dont work for me

Fantastic. The most interesting thing by far for me is the Instrumentals on the Dundalk soundcheck. The song they play sounds nothing like any other Smiths song I've heard (well, possibly "Sheila Take A Bow", but even then it's a different structure). Could this be the unearthing of a forgotten/lost Smiths song, or is it something more obvious like a song "in work" that turned into something else? Goddard says that "Sheila" was recorded in January 1987, and this Dundalk gig was February 11th 1986, so it's possible this is an early version of the song - Johnny was renowned for practicing new songs in soundchecks. If not, then as far as I can tell, it is a diferrent song. EIther way, fantastic to hear.

Peter

Interesting.

All the instrumentals seem to be the same song. Sounds like an early (although more complex) version of Panic to me, which was recorded three months later. You can hear it at the beginning of Instrumental 3 and in the bassline at 03:43 in Instrumental 4.

hmm, I kind of agree, obviously the drums are same as panic, and I agree with you about the glimpse of the bass part being similar. But the core of the song isn't Panic, I guess Johnny scrapped the whole song, and panic was born out of the drum/bass idea with Rourke and Joyce), so in a way this probably is an unheard smiths song that I imagine Morrissey never heard and never got recorded. I Would be interested in hearing someone covering the tune and adding a vocal. (I will produce it if any budding artists out there want to give it a go!)

Also reminded me of Is It Really So strange, but only in the sense of the twanginess of it.

I was slightly puzzled by that instrumental too. I didn't list it as an 'undiscovered' Smiths song as I didn't want to get people's hopes up so if anyone can shed anymore light then feel free.

I think this instrumental is an ancestor to "Panic". You can hear hints of T-Rex's "Metal Guru" and bits that were later used in "Panic". However from what we know "Panic" was written in April so between February and April the song had time to evolve. This would explain the parts that were lost.

Or if the instrumental is not a direct ancestor, i think parts were salvaged when Johnny wrote what would become "Panic".

Stephane

I think this instrumental is an ancestor to "Panic". You can hear hints of T-Rex's "Metal Guru" and bits that were later used in "Panic". However from what we know "Panic" was written in April so between February and April the song had time to evolve. This would explain the parts that were lost.

Or if the instrumental is not a direct ancestor, i think parts were salvaged when Johnny wrote what would become "Panic".

Stephane

I think that's probably right, although I agree with Mr Server NTLI about the Is It Really So Strange part, which I hadn't spotted before. It seems to me that this soundcheck song has been sliced up and used as the template for two or three songs. It's always fascinating to hear material like this.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom