The Best Smiths Song Ever, Round 1

Best Song on 'The Smiths'

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johan de Witt

YOU HAVE 3 VOTES!!

Here we go...
As promised I will start our quest for the ultimate Smiths song(s) now.

As somebody already said, we all know There Is A Light That Never Goes Out will win, but it will at least be interesting to see which songs will make the final 15.

I only realized today that there are only 73 official Smiths-songs in the universe... That's less than half the amount of Morrissey songs.

So we only have 7 rounds to go.

We will do the albums first, then the non-album singles and tracks.
First up is The Smiths

No, This Charming Man wasn't on the original LP. It was, however on the cassette version, and when the CDs came out no doubt they inserted it.

Still Ill, Hand In Glove and Pretty Girls Make Graves (although it was a tie with Suffer Little Children :( )

@ Sooty: apparently not on all releases. From Passions:

* "This Charming Man" was included as a bonus track on Sire LPs, CDs and cassettes, on Rough Trade UK and France cassettes and on WEA CDs and cassettes. The is also included on Australian releases on CBS and Festival, but at the end of the album instead of the beginning of side 2 (or track 6).

Reel Around The Fountain (this one really must make the final three)
Hand In Glove
Suffer Little Children

Edit: I didn't read it right, can the other two be taken out? Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Reel Around The Fountain
Still Ill
The Hand That Rocks The Cradle(which is my favorite song EVER)

Obviously you really aren't into The Smiths:eek:
"This Charming Man" is not an album track, but "Hatful of Hollow" has a radio session version.

I am into the Smiths they are my favourite band, but im only 17 and whenever ive seen the CD its had This Charming man on the back. I apologise for my error

Reel around the fountain, Still Ill and Hand in glove.

Great that you've started these Smiths-polls too, Johan! Goeie jongen ;)

Hand That Rocks The Cradle
Hand In Glove
Reel Around The Fountain

Not my favourite album, to say the least. Based on the fact that these are the only three songs on the album I'd go as far to say I really like it was pretty much a default choice. Cradle is surperb though.

Reel Around the Fountain
Still Ill
and Youve got everything now!

Surprised no one else has voted for YGEN - i absolutely adore listening to that at full volume - such alot of venom and bile in that one - i love it!

I love how dark this albums sounds! What a great debut!

voted for pretty girls make graves, what difference does it make and suffer little children

Miserable Lie is my favorite from this album (and it's my favorite Smiths album). I can't really explain why. It's just so powerful...always makes me dance around my living room. And I especially love the live version of it.
It's quickly followed by Still Ill and Hand in Glove

This could be my favorite Smiths album, and I'm glad to see that my top 3 (Reel Around the Fountain, Still Ill, Hand in Glove) are currently leading the poll...

"Reel Around The Fountain"
"The Hand That Rocks The Cradle"
"Suffer Little Children"

"The Smiths" is, no question, my favorite Smiths album. The songs just fit together beautifully.

Back
Top Bottom