Morrissey newbie. Any suggestions?

VeryPSB

Hi,

I'm relatively unaquainted with Morissey's solo material, I only have bought the last 2 CD albums. Can someone tell me what is a good 'best of' album to begin with? I thought about the 2 singles boxes, but maybe there are better alternatives?

Best regards,

Dennis.

You've got You Are The Quarry and Ringleader Of The Tormentors? Good stuff

There is 'Suedehead: The Best Of Morrissey', which is a good compilation, as is 'Bona Drag'. 'Beethoven Was Deaf' is a live recording and really good - it's entirely his solo stuff.

As for studio albums, everyone will tell you to get 'Viva Hate' but that's my least favourite Moz album. I think the best one is 'Your Arsenal' - that's absolutely stunning - highly recommend getting your hands on that!

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/artistI...sey&primaryID=-1&secondaryID=-1&tertiaryID=-1

Welcome, VeryPSB.
I don't know if you aware of it, you'll find similar old threads when you go down this thread.
I'd recommend you to listen chronological order rather than ramdomly buying CDs.:)

Welcome, VeryPSB.
I don't know if you aware of it, you'll find similar old threads when you go down this thread.
I'd recommend you to listen chronological order rather than ramdomly buying CDs.:)

I agree with Kewpie in both cases.

Hi,

I'm relatively unaquainted with Morissey's solo material, I only have bought the last 2 CD albums. Can someone tell me what is a good 'best of' album to begin with? I thought about the 2 singles boxes, but maybe there are better alternatives?

Best regards,

Dennis.

get 'your arsenal' 1st.
the box sets sound like a good idea too.
then get the rest not in any order i can think of!

The 'Suedehead' compilation always seems to crop up for 4 quid in sales and is a good place to get the singles. Aside from that, obviously "Your Arsenal" and "Vauxhall and I" are essential ("Your Arsenal" wins for me, just!)

By this point you will know yourself if you are ready to dive into the b-sides and critically-savaged albums like most of us on here!

Most people probably won't agree with me, but I'd recommend Live at Earls Court. That's a really good Morrissey primer from what is in my opinion easily one of his best tours: It contains some of his biggest hits as a solo artist, a smattering of Smiths songs, a couple of b-sides, and he's in great voice and you'll experience him as a live act.

Most people probably won't agree with me, but I'd recommend Live at Earls Court. That's a really good Morrissey primer from what is in my opinion easily one of his best tours: It contains some of his biggest hits as a solo artist, a smattering of Smiths songs, a couple of b-sides, and he's in great voice and you'll experience him as a live act.

Well, as far as a live album, I think Beethoven Was Deaf is infinitely superior - just based on how well one can hear the audience/crowd reactions, etc.

hello,
i'm also a morrissey newbie, but with a more specific question.
in reading about morrissey i see he has written songs about anti-religion. can anybody give me the names of some of these?

also, i really like the songs first of the gang to die and (especially) you have killed me, any suggestions as to what other songs of his i'd like?

thanks

Yes get Viva Hate...

I would recommend Oye Esteban! The DVD of Music Videos, it's a good way to see him and has some awesome songs.. it is a awesome DVD

Best Of Morrissey is great, it helped me when I first got started.. i'm only a fan of Moz 6 months now, give or take, so I just got started also..

Ebay helped me, and friends and the INTERNET.

hello,
in reading about morrissey i see he has written songs about anti-religion. can anybody give me the names of some of these?

also, i really like the songs first of the gang to die and (especially) you have killed me, any suggestions as to what other songs of his i'd like?

thanks

Father Who Must Be Killed
To the Kill (wait that's the Violent Femmes)
The First Ganglord to Have Killed Me

hello,

thanks

If you like FOTGTD and YHKM I think you would like upbeat songs.. or
Interesting Drug, Our Frank, try some of his old stuff. I really honestly can't tell what you would like unless I knew you really well

Hey Dennis,

I always think that it's best to start by getting the albums, not 'best ofs'.

(Technically what I'm going to suggest is not an album, but it is in my eyes- and it's not really a best of anyway.)

I first bought Quarry, then I bought Bona Drag and Vauxhall and I, and I think that they were the right ones to get.

What about Smiths albums? Get Meat is Murder first! (If you haven't already.) Then The Smiths and The Queen is Dead.

Although I guess it's personal choice, really...

I agree with most of this...Bona Drag is DEFINITELY the next step for a newbie fan...that's the album that got me hooked. Vauxhall and I is the logical next step.

Then, if you're still interested, go with The Smiths, however, I would recommend their classic The Queen is Dead instead of Meat is Murder first...It's more accesssible and no self-respecting Moz fan can claim to not have heard it. Then I'd go to for Louder than Bombs, a nice Smiths compilation that gives you a feel for the rest of their stuff.

My first were The Queen is Dead/Strangeways here we come/Viva Hate and then shortly afterwards Bona Drag

All excellent albums.

Back
Top Bottom