Universal Music Publishing Presents: The Smiths

Slip-In

I don't know if anyone here has posted this before but has anyone heard of this release?

As some of you may know, The Smiths' back catalogue is now published by Universal Music Publishing? Though this part of Universal publishig The Smiths music only pertains to Johnny Marr's half of the song rights.

I was fortunate to buy this CD on eBay some weeks ago, :D

It reads:

Universal Music Publishing Group Presents Songs By
The Smiths

1. How Soon Is Now?
2. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
3. Big Mouth Strikes Again
4. Panic
5. Ask
6. Shoplifters Of The World Unite
7. You Just Haven't Earn It Yet Baby
8. Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before
9. Sheila Take A Bow
10. Girlfriend In A Coma
11. William, It Was Really Nothing
12. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
13. Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want
14. Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
15. Still Ill
16. Hand In Glove
17. What Difference Does It Make?
18. This Charming Man
19. That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
20. Cemetry Gates
21. Unhappy Birthday
22. I Started Something I couldn't Finish
23. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others

Each song has the UK Singles Chart Entry next to it as it charted when each single was released originally.

The CD Sleeve has an old Smiths pictured with all four members in the front along with this information:

Universal Music Publishing Group
2440 Sepulveda, Suite 100
Los Angeles, CA 90064-1712
Creative Tel: (LA) 310-235-4896 (NY) 212-841-8014
Licensing Tel: 310-2354721
www.umpg.com
www.SYNCHExpress.com

Along with The Universal Logo

The Inlay has Eight pictures of The Smiths Albums and the This Charming Man US Remixes CD Single:

This Charming Man Remixes US CD Single
Hatfull Of Hollow
Louder Tham Bombs
Meat Is Murder
Singles
Strangeways, Here We Come
The Queen Is Dead
The Smiths

I was told by seller that these promo copies were only used in inside industry sources to promote The Universal Publishing Deal Johnny Marr signed not long ago.

(c) 2005 Universal Music Publishing Group. For Promotional Use Only, Not For Resale.

The CD is a Silver CD and it looks very much like a professionally done item by Universal Music. It is a fabulous item to add to my ever-so growing Smiths Collection, :)

Last edited:
There are several of such CD's (I'm now aware of 4) issued not by the record company, but by the publishers. They seem to be rare and when they are offered occasionally, they get high prices, so you're lucky!

There has been a nice double CD called: There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - The Music of Morrissey and the Smiths with the IB,EH sleeve by Warner Chappel; another one was called The Music of the Smiths 1983-1987 by Chrysalis and most recently there was a CD-R on ebay also by Chrysalis called Non LP Tracks.

If you want to see more, i put a few on my website (link below scoll down in the news as it was posted in January 2006).

What a fantastic site Stefan, it looks great. Congrats, :)

I had heard of most of the stuff listed on your site however tracking copies of them have been very difficult though I've had some luck with some of the items, :cool:

Thanks for your feedback, :)

Back
Top Bottom