Artists & personalities

wolve

the sad punk
As many fans of Morrissey, they are interested in his music AND the person he is.
Sometimes when you listen to a band/artist, you don't give a damn about the persons they are (although it's sometimes reflected through their music - but hard to be original)

So I wondered, do you guys have other bands/artists you worship not only for their music, but the person behind it is worth the while too?

Other than Moz......Not ReaIIy! maybe one other artist but not sure, have to process info about it 1st.

Good question Wolve.

I think it's because of the manner in which we love Morrissey (as you say on all levels) that means it's difficult to be obsessive about him AND others.

I know Andy Fozz for example refuses to allow other music into his life and I totally know where he's coming from.

For me, I have to believe that the singer feels the words to be able to truely appreciate the music and nobody does it as well as our main man.

To me, listening to non-Morrissey music is like having sex with a prostitute - regrettable, expensive, lacking in emotion and leaves one feeling dirty and desparate.:D

For me, Morrissey is above all other artists, but that doesn't mean that i love only him and despise the rest. I just love him more that the others. I have a lot of favourite bands and artists that i love and get very excited when i listen to their music. Usually i am interested in both music and personality, but i want to learn more about their personality and life after i spend some time listening to their albums and decide that i like them. I'm also obsessed about other artists too, but that's my typical behaviour towards everything i love in my life :o

I find it a little harsh to say that i only truly enjoy music when it's Morrissey's. For me it's not Morrissey and then music, these two are together in my 'things i love' list. I just love music, i can't imagine my life without it.

well for me, Morrissey is the only one who I care so much about as a person. I don't sit on other forums of other artists discussing his love life or his habitudes (fhu-reak show!)
But to not let any other music in your life is quite eum...shit talk. I love a lot of other artists, but this for their music, I don't care that much about their lives (most of it you learn through their lyrics duh! - but as mjp said, genuine?)

There was a time when I ate, slept and drank Morrissey (in more ways than one), but it wasn't sustainable. My interest wained and now it only piques around album and single releases. And, before you start, I'm only here because, not only did I first come here during Quarry, but it's also one of the few tolerable forums. If the Pet Shop Boys had one, I'd be there.

As for my listening habits, Morrissey and The Smiths come relatively low. I haven't heard his voice in a good week at least. He's certainly in the upper echelon of my preferred artists and contributed greatly to the foundations of my musical taste, but there are maybe a seven or eight artists I would gladly profess to prefer.

Frankly, the overzealous devotion some fans partake in smacks of emotional retardation. Morrissey is their crutch. Thankfully, he's not mine.

I suppose Jarvis Cocker and Pulp, in that as a teenager of the 90s there was a time when it felt like all the weirdos I was numbered amongst were storming the barricades with Jarvis at the helm. I didn't think he was like Jesus, or anything, though.

He looks a bit rough these days, though.

mjp said:
To me, listening to non-Morrissey music is like having sex with a prostitute - regrettable, expensive, lacking in emotion and leaves one feeling dirty and desparate.:D

wow, abusive words for the lads from GA and The Beautiful South!!!

i guess all along they were just chopped liver... huh?

just using them as part of a facade to show diversification so people wouldn't stare and point at you as they do at Andy? :D

"Worship" is a very strong word. I don't really "worship" anybody, apart from my grandma maybe. I don't worship Morrissey, I love his lyrics and the music, I relate to him and he interests me a lot as a person.

However there is a lot of place for other music in my life. Morrissey is the one I relate to the most, but he certainly doesn't cover all aspects of my personality.

I'd say that the other artist, who's personality interests me a lot is Courtney Love (Hole).

Might seem strange to many of you, but it's true.
I grew up as a Nirvana fan, which is not unusual for people in my age group. As Morrissey said: there is a band or an artist that catch you at the particular time and never let you go and they can never disappoint you. For me Nirvana and Hole were that bands.

I could relate to Hole more, because Courtney is a female. Albums like Pretty on the Inside and Life through this were everything for me, when I was 14. I feel that most of the people form their opinion about her, based on some rumors and crap documentaries with about 5% truth in it. But she is actually incredibly smart and funny and very very human.
She might be a mess, but she's strong, and she's like a cockroach - never dies. :) What I like the most about her is that she is always incredibly sincere in her lyrics.

I am grateful to her for being there with me in my teens, expressing my emotions and anger and also for teaching me a lot of things about femininity.

I'll always stay loyal to her and I wish her all the best in life.

Morrissey is my God and Pervo is his prophet...

bah not really...he's one in 200.000.000 blokes, unique as a winged golden firebreathing elephant...and If someone insults him I feel like they are insulting me etc, but is not as a blind worship,there are limits

usually I can't listen to music without getting the whole profile of the musician...I'm quite curious,so I wanna know if the guy that I'm crying to his lyrics is someone worth to cry...

no one in particular said:
wow, abusive words for the lads from GA and The Beautiful South!!!

i guess all along they were just chopped liver... huh?

just using them as part of a facade to show diversification so people wouldn't stare and point at you as they do at Andy? :D

Do you know that it IS possible to be too clever for one's own popularity?:p

But yes, I may have to admit that my post to which you refer was written in my absence by a temporary writer (the others need a well earned rest you see).

In retrospect I would have added "but that's why I'm happy to allocate The Beautiful South and R.E.M my silver and bronze medals respectively" - they're not like sleeping with a prostitute, more like sleeping with someone else's wife - can't last forever and you have to keep it very quiet (the fact that it happened not the actual act;) ).

mjp said:
they're not like sleeping with a prostitute, more like sleeping with someone else's wife - can't last forever and you have to keep it very quiet (the fact that it happened not the actual act;) ).

Hey mjp - this is not your private confessional;)

Back to the subject now, I have other bands/types of music that I love to see - but the connection is different/if at all. Maybe the way they project their personas does not appeal to me (as much).

Last edited:
mjp said:
Do you know that it IS possible to be too clever for one's own popularity?
i actually really appreciate this tip...i was wondering why the number of pms coming my way had waned recently...<note to self: must exercise more restraint of my smart arse> ;)

mjp said:
In retrospect I would have added "but that's why I'm happy to allocate The Beautiful South and R.E.M my silver and bronze medals respectively" - they're not like sleeping with a prostitute, more like sleeping with someone else's wife - can't last forever and you have to keep it very quiet (the fact that it happened not the actual act;) ).
somehow i feel like moz would concur with this parallel...

Back
Top Bottom