London

Dupree

Tharr she blows!
I may (or may not, due to an unreliable friend) be going to London for the first time ever this weekend.

Does anyone know any really cool places to go? Is the Rough Trade shop worth a visit? Any exciting shops for buying cheap records/clothes/kitsch/junk? Any Smiths/Moz related haunts?

I'm well excited!

Oh yeah, and...does anyone know of any Smiths/Moz nights happening on the Saturday eve?

Oh come on, are you telling me a well-travelled and diverse group such as ourselves can't name a few good places in London?? I don't believe it!

...and I'm going next week now. If that changes things on the gigs front.

Well, I'm not in London at the moment, so I'm out of the loop with the gigs and stuff. I know Organ will be playing in Kings College on the 18th and there will be a free in-store gig before that. Don't know if you are there at a time.

Get a Time Out as soon as you are in London, it will give you all the info about gigs and other activities in London.

Basically, my favourite place in London is Notting Hill and Westbourne Grove. I do go to the Rough Trade store quite often and I like it a lot. There are also some record exchange stores on the Notting Hill Gate as well as some great cheap second hand book stores and rather expensive vintage clothing shops.

Portobello road on Saturday is worth going (but not cheap and you should be prepared to see loads of tourists).

If you want some cheap stuff you should probably go to Camden, though I haven't been there for years, so I can't really tell.

As for the Smiths/Morrissey nights - there is a thread about it in Events.:)

Last edited:
You have to do a Camden pubcrawl consisting of Barfly, Worlds End, Good Mixer and Dublin Castle.
Just keep away from those fellas selling mushrooms.

Also
(from The Smyths.net)

The Smyths with Rourke and Joyce
This Friday we play Jamm at Brixton where THE SMYTHS PROUDLY SHARE THE BILL WITH ANDY ROURKE and MIKE JOYCE. We had a very limited number of tickets (100 in total) for what could be an historic event so we advise getting yours early to avoid missing out. Tickets available here: JAMM (http://www.wegottickets.com/event/11308)

By Popular Demand...The Queen Is Dead and Hatful of Hollow
There will be a second Queen Is Dead anniversary night: On July 29th we return to our North London home, The Dublin Castle. Due to the overwhelming demand from sold out the first show, we will play that album in it's entirety again that night along with a special second set that will be Hatful of Hollow in it's entirety. Just think how many Smiths (and all-time) classic tracks feature on those two albums. 26 tracks of sheer beauty all heard live, together, for the first time ever. Tickets will sell very quickly for this so please get in early. Tickets available here: Dublin Castle (http://www.wegottickets.com/event/11375)

Metro Club on Oxford Street used to be alright.

Cheers for that Sister! That was all really good info, sounded right up my street. I've been on all the touristy websites but they don't seem to go much futher than 'Big Ben, the London Eye, Harrods..rah rah rah' but I always imagined London had loads of really cool places.

I'm so excited!!

I'm gagging to go see The Smyths on Friday 14 July but I've got no chance...a bit gutted about it to be honest.

Edit: I'll only be there on Saturday 22nd July

Enjoy Dupree.

I'm glad you got the info you wanted in the end - they took some pushing didn't they? ;)

I was watching this thread with interest but had my hands tied as I have no knowledge of the place.

I have to say, I did expect a bigger response than two people (although I do appreciate your help, Sister and Aly!).

I would have thought we'd have loads of Londoners/people who have been to London here on Moz-Solo.

Edit: Also, is there any news on the Moz waxwork? Or have I missed it all together?

Last edited:
Camden is pretty dire for clothes shopping, but there are some decent record shops if you hunt about. Soho (Tottenham Court Road / Oxford Cirus tubes) has some ok record shops (Sister Ray) as well. I suggest you check the barfly/koko/water rats/meanfiddler.com/dublin castle websites for a random gig.

i enjoy london most when the weather is good - sitting in a grassy area somewhere - soho square, primrose hill ideally; then at night having coffee at covent garden in the pleasant evening air.

now, stop complaining and just enjoy your trip ;)

damien said:
now, stop complaining and just enjoy your trip ;)

Okay, okay! :D It wasn't so much complaining, just mild confusion.

I reckon I will have a great time when I go there. For ages I had a bit of a Rome obsession that was fuelled mainly by books and films. When I got the chance to go there with my old college I was so unbelievably excited. I had pictures of the Trevi Fountain tucked in my wallet and I'd watch all those cheesy teen flicks set in Rome all the time. When I got there and was driving into Rome by coach I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed: we'd drove in through what looked like a slum and there was graffiti everywhere (I later became endeared to the amusingly angsty and often mis-spelt scrawlings. My favourite graffiti artist in Rome is Slim, look out for him. He manages to get his name in the most amazingly difficult to reach places. My theory is that he is Spiderman). The major tourist places were packed with people - not at all like in the movies. But there was still something about it - even just slipping down side streets and soaking up the evening atmosphere. The people were so friendly. What I learnt was that even though Rome wasn't how it appeared in the movies it was gorgeous in it's own way. The people, the atmosphere, the sights. Ohh, just thinking about it makes me want to go back there!

So I think this may happen when I go to London. I reckon I'll go 'this isn't how it looks in so-and-so film!!'. Then I'll realise it's actually wicked and I'll end up getting all dewy eyed when I tell you my London tales (and I will tell you them, whether you like it or not!).

My ex-boyfriend used to call me a culture-vulture. I don't think I am, vulture implies I savagely pick at carcasses (he was an idiot anyway. From the moment I told him what the word pretentious meant he used it to describe me, my friends and Morrissey about five times daily). I like to think I'm more of an absorbent object...a sponge perhaps. A fervent flourishing culture sponge.

sounds like being 15 again

you're probably going to be presented with a similar london - graffiti'ed, inhabited, dirty etc. i always say that london would be great if it weren't for the people, but sometimes the people are what make it. i have yet to meet any 'real' people from london - it is extremely pretentious and cliquey, but i expected that. i enjoy fulfilling my sociological and athropoligical desires by just observing. less hassle

K, I used to work in London 'till a year ago.

But I can't really help, as I think it's a shithole, and I used to get the f*** straight outta there when finished work.

Mind you, the London Eye is pretty cool.......

Just wanted to add, you may want to check Koko. That's my favourite venue in London. Always great atmosphere.

Regarding London is general - I think it is a fantastic place to be. First time I came there, I thought - wow, that's the place for me to be and so I moved there eventually.

There are so many great things going on in London. It's basically one of the centers of the world. Most of the things that are going on in terms of culture and civilization are accessible in London.

It's very cosmopolitan, there are all sorts of people. But the thing that I like about London is that you can always be yourself. There is a place in London for everybody.

Sister said:
But the thing that I like about London is that you can always be yourself. There is a place in London for everybody.

That's the kinda notion I have got from varying forms of media over the years. The idea I have formed is: if it's happening, it's happening in London. I always read about these underground music scenes and clubs, it all sounds so (for lack of a better word) hip. Magazines like Vogue, of course, big it up to the max as well but I just buy that for the pretty pictures of Gemma Ward these days (I'm a strange girl).

Maybe it's just other people's recycled hype but to me it's all very exciting!

You will all be thoroughly disinterested to know that this evening I have:

1. Been necking shoddily made Pimms like a beast and am now quite, quite merry.

2. Booked my tickets for the London Eye and Madame Tussaurds. Woot woot! :)

I suggest next Monday you all get rather jolly and try playing along with University Challenge. I think I managed to get at least 3 questions right. :o

Don't forget to post the pics Dupree!

Asking a tourist (like me) about the best things about London is like asking a homeless person about a job. I don't know.

I like to stroll through the King's Road area. It's not what it used to be (so I've been told), but it still has that post 60's vibe. You feel alot of action took place there once. Camden is hippy-esque, but the clothes aren't special. Alot of pot there too. The museums are all free. I disliked the British Museum (prehistorial art), I liked the Tate Gallery: only the finnest Dutch/Belgium painters there.

The best thing was strolling the Thames, Big Ben neighbourhood. Skip the Saatchi gallery, just stroll and enjoy. The vibe is great.

Could someone tell me why it's so difficult to find a descent club in London. I 'went' to Pacha but ended up lost. All the stuff at piccadilly is tourist-esque, I wouldn't want to be caught dead there, no offense.

Enjoy!!

Well I live in London since a year ago. These are the places.

For records shopping:

- Sister Ray (Warwick St. in Soho), here you can find some good Smiths T-shirts
- Reckless Records (Warwick St. in Soho), downstairs it's better for vinyl.
- Music exchange (in Candem Town, the one that it's at the start of the market, right side)
- HMV (Oxford St., have a good vinyl section, well, I mean... it's not bad)

For drink:

- You can go to Dublin Castle (Candem), there's rock and indie pop
- You can go to The Elephant Head (Candem), there's a rockabilly night, very cool if you like that stuff
- You can go to Metro (Oxford St.) they put indie hits, look here: www.blowupmetro.com/news.aspx
- And hang around Soho can be quite fun. I would suggest you to try Bar Italia, it's very cool place.
- In Shoreditch area you'll find a lot of people. Good place to go out too.

I don´t have more time, If I remember some other place I'll tell you later.

Have fun. London it's full of possibilitys :D

Bona Drag said:
here you can find some good Smiths T-shirts

Yaaaay!! :D I'm dying to find that kinda thing...I think it'd be way more exciting to find them in a shop than order them online. I'm so excited!

I've been planning my tube routes and everything, how sad am I?

Andy, this is the first time I've viewed this thread at work - your pic never came up at home...that picture is awesome. I'm so excited!! Yay, London Eye!

Oh yeah, if there is a Moz waxwork...you so know I'm gonna post about a million pictures of it...and me with it...and me kissing it. Haha :)

I found out the shittest thing at work today:

The day I'm going to London they are planning a railway strike.

Why me? Why the day I plan on going to London for the first time do they decide to completely cock the whole thing up?! I feel the world is conspiring against me.

(I'm a teenager, I'm allowed to say things like that :) only 'til October though!)

you could've made a railway strike with your pirate-matey ;)

now, I'm so happy for you that you go on your "own" to London. Not bound to a plan or anything. We went with a big group (school) and well, we just couldn't choose. I wanted to see so much more(London is big though)

Great to find out about the shop where they have smiths-shirts! If I'd only known earlier, I'll have to wait till the year 2355 or something until I get my ass back in London again...

nevertheless, ENJOY IT!!!!

Back
Top Bottom