Remaster the past.

Have-A-Go Merchant

I'd like to see all the Smiths albums and all of Morrissey's solo albums remastered and issued with a DVD featuring a 5.1 surround sound mix. I'd also like to see all the Smiths singles remastered and issued in a box with original artwork replica's.
Any other ideas?

Have-A-Go Merchant said:
I'd like to see all the Smiths albums and all of Morrissey's solo albums remastered and issued with a DVD featuring a 5.1 surround sound mix. I'd also like to see all the Smiths singles remastered and issued in a box with original artwork replica's.
Any other ideas?

Remasters are long over due!
Why WEA hasn't done them already is a mystery.

I heard somewhere(I don't know where) that Johnny Marr and WEA could not get on the same page about re-releases. Although, it looks like they worked something out because supposedly the box set will be out in the fall. i assume it will be a Rhino records release, they handle most of the re-releases for WEA. Also, I'd like to see a proper release for the Troy Tate sessions.

thaxter tewksbury said:
I heard somewhere(I don't know where) that Johnny Marr and WEA could not get on the same page about re-releases. Although, it looks like they worked something out because supposedly the box set will be out in the fall. i assume it will be a Rhino records release, they handle most of the re-releases for WEA. Also, I'd like to see a proper release for the Troy Tate sessions.

most needed re-release: "the smiths" first album as a 2 disc set. first disc, a superior remastering of the john porter album. second disc, a cleaned-up troy tate sessions album. interview both, put a 20 page booklet together with photos.

poprenaissance said:
most needed re-release: "the smiths" first album as a 2 disc set. first disc, a superior remastering of the john porter album. second disc, a cleaned-up troy tate sessions album. interview both, put a 20 page booklet together with photos.

Mmmmmmmmm....

I'll tell you what they need to do!

1. "Singles" box set. Each of The Smiths' 18 singles, in perfect-replica picture sleeves (minted in colored vinyl to match the sleeve's color scheme), with the original tracks, stacked neatly in a metal collectors' box (bit of PiL).

2. "Peepholism" DVD. All of the photos in the book, plus as many others that will fit, onto a slideshow with 3 separate commentary tracks which play as the images slowly fade in and out: Morrissey, Jo Slee, and, on the third track, Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant, and Karl Pilkington.

3. "MORRISSEY PRESENTS" DVD collection. Half a dozen or so classic Morrissey-selected films, kind of like the Quentin Tarantino collection, with Morrissey's face and signature on the covers as a stamp (no pun intended) of approval: "A Taste of Honey", "Saturday Night Sunday Morning", "Romper Stomper", etc., each with a Morrissey commentary track of course.

4. Enhanced Mac/PC versions of all The Smiths albums. Each track can be broken down so that the bass, drums, and EACH AND EVERY ONE of Johnny's guitar tracks can be isolated. In this way the various layers of the music can be appreciated, making Johnny even more legendary, and all this would be accompanied by audio editing software allowing for remixes.

5. Bootleg "no-box" set. Buy inexpensive download codes online at a Smiths website. The codes allow for downloads of whole concerts in ZIP format that can be burned to cheap CD-ROMs which the listener gets on his own. Every single bootleg ever recorded is available online, organized by year, tour leg, country, etc. All shows either from original soundboard tapes or remixed/remastered by Grant Showbiz.

6. "The Smiths: Encyclopedia". A heavily-indexed, deeply researched book which explains, in fine detail, every line of every Smiths song, answering every question any fan has ever had, ever. Even the question "Is Morrissey gay?" is answered (hint: it's indexed under "Y"), thus obviating Morrissey website discussion boards forever.

I sincerely hope nothing else is recycled, sorry 're-mastered'. Did you hear the mess that was 'The Best Of..'? Please spare these re-hashings to Cliff Richard's sprawling back catalogue.

Al.

Albert Finney said:
I sincerely hope nothing else is recycled, sorry 're-mastered'. Did you hear the mess that was 'The Best Of..'? Please spare these re-hashings to Cliff Richard's sprawling back catalogue.

Al.

I don't agree. David Bowie, Patti Smith, Blondie, Scott Walker, Depeche Mode, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Sonic Youth, Human League, Brian Eno, The Fall, Sparks, Neu!, Lou Reed and many, many more are just some of the fine artists (whoose work I have in my CD collection) who've had part or all of their back catalogue remastered to a good standard which has improved the listening experience enough to validate the remastering. I don't own a copy of "The Best Of The Smiths" ( as enough people complained about it's quality to put me off buying it) so I can't comment on it but if the remastering is put in the right hands then the old tapes generally polish up a treat. Don't be put off by one bad experience. Or Cliff Richard!

Hi. I'm new here, but I joined to stay up to date on any news of a Smith's catalog remaster. The Very Best of the Smith's is the only issue, to my knowledge, that has been remastered. It has been very well received on the Steve Hoffman Forums site, which is a wealth of knowledge for many "best pressings". The consensus over there are that the original 12" 45 singles have the best sound quality. For digital releases, the original UK Rough Trade CD's are considered the best, but unfortunately I can't shell out the coin for the originals. Some remasters are worse than the originals, but if done properly, they don't need to be, and as I mentioned the only remastered smith's songs are on the very best of cd which many find to be more than adequate. My wish is for all vinyl 45 rpm remastered releases, but I'm not holding my breath. Keep me posted on here if any one hears anything. Thanks. Randy

portisphish said:
Hi. I'm new here, but I joined to stay up to date on any news of a Smith's catalog remaster. The Very Best of the Smith's is the only issue, to my knowledge, that has been remastered. It has been very well received on the Steve Hoffman Forums site, which is a wealth of knowledge for many "best pressings". The consensus over there are that the original 12" 45 singles have the best sound quality. For digital releases, the original UK Rough Trade CD's are considered the best, but unfortunately I can't shell out the coin for the originals. Some remasters are worse than the originals, but if done properly, they don't need to be, and as I mentioned the only remastered smith's songs are on the very best of cd which many find to be more than adequate. My wish is for all vinyl 45 rpm remastered releases, but I'm not holding my breath. Keep me posted on here if any one hears anything. Thanks. Randy

Tell me more about this Steve Hoffman Forum, and perhaps a link to the discussion in question.

Steve Hoffman is a recording engineer with an excellent reputation. He is mastering the release of the new red hot chilli peppers vinyl release coming soon. He also did much of the mastering for the now defunct DCC record label. These dcc recordings are oop and many are highly collectible. Just type in dcc into e-bay and look at some of the records and cd's. His forum is one of the best audio forums around, and is the BEST source of information that I have found for comparing different cd releases and vinyl pressings. Mr. Hoffman not only puts his name on this forum, but he is also an active participant in the discussions.

Anyway, the problem is the forum has been running verrrrrrrrry slow, and according to whoevers in charge of the site over there, a complete overhaul is underway, so now might not be the best time to check it out. The search function has been temporarily disabled for one thing. Once the forum is up and running smooth, I will find the threads that discuss the smiths releases, and post some links for you to check out.

here is the site anyway: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/

take it easy...Randy

it's not a question of remastering

In my opinion here is what we need

a rarities disc
You could fit most everything that has been recorded and not released on one cd (trumpet versions, long Queen Is Dead, selected Tates, Amanda Malone single, instrumentals, What Do You See..., early live Barbarism with different lyrics etc.)

pair that with a dvd of the 3rd show at the Hacienda that was filmed

I'd be surprised if it happens
We'll see

I really do think they need a proper remastering. Not just boosted in levels.

I'd like to have officially released rarities as well.
I don't think there's anything hidden out there that would blow our minds, but still, I want to hear everything.

I'm happy with the bootleg DVD of the Hacienda gig I have already.

Thanks to Randy for all that info. I've been lurking in that forum for a little bit now. Some great discussions in there. Thanks a lot. Looks like I have a new home.

portisphish said:
He also did much of the mastering for the now defunct DCC record label. These dcc recordings are oop and many are highly collectible. Just type in dcc into e-bay and look at some of the records and cd's.

You've just opened up a whole new world to me.... UGH!

After intense reading, I must own the DCC Gold Copy of Pet Sounds.

Damnit, I need to get a second job now.

You know, at my record store, we still have a few of these DCC Gold Copy discs available. I never knew they were so valuable.... No one buys them because the retail price on them is so high, but they go for higher on ebay.............

Remaster and release "Rank" unabridged. *denotes tracks left off "Rank".

The Queen Is Dead
Panic
I Want The One I Can't Have*
Vicar In A Tutu
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out*
Ask
(Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame/Rusholme Ruffians
Frankly, Mr. Shankly*
The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
What She Said/Rubber Ring
Is It Really So Strange?
Never Had No One Ever*
Cemetry Gates
London
Meat Is Murder*
I Know It's Over
The Draize Train
How Soon Is Now?*
Still Ill
Bigmouth Strikes Again

Officially release the Oxford Apollo show. A few tracks were the b-sides to "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" and one on a NME freebie 7". These two shows are the most heavily bootlegged because BBC Transcription Discs exist for both of them. So that means they have excellent soundboard mixes in the vaults. There are official BBC Transcription Discs floating around of it. Last one sold on eBay for $500.00. Illegal to list in the Record Collector magazine because they are technically still the property of the BBC.

04_1_b.JPG

Shoreline, Mountain View, California 1991. Pro shot and once intended for release. This would be an inexpensive thing for them to do.

November Spawned A Monster
Alsatian Cousin
Our Frank
The Loop
King Leer
Sister, I'm A Poet
Piccadilly Palare
Driving Your Girlfriend Home
Interesting Drug
We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful
Everyday Is Like Sunday
My Love Life
Pashernate Love
Last Of The Famous International Playboys
Asian Rut
Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together
Suedehead
Cosmic Dancer/Disappointed

Wolverhampton '88. Supposedly at least one transcription disc exists. It's short, but still could be released as a 2 cd/dvd set.

Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before
Disappointed
Interesting Drug
Suedehead
Last Of The Famous International Playboys
Sister I'm A Poet
Death At One's Elbow
Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Expand "Hatful Of Hollow" to include all the BBC material released up to that point (11/84), then include a second disc of material recorded at the BBC after "Hatful"s release. They could call the second disc "Hateful Hollow" as it's often how "Hatful" has been misspelled. God knows how many/what tracks.

To Beau:

YES YES YES YES YES!

You're a thinker.

I never knew there were official transcription discs of the Apollo show available on ebay.....
Oh man.

dallow_bg said:
You've just opened up a whole new world to me.... UGH!

After intense reading, I must own the DCC Gold Copy of Pet Sounds.

Damnit, I need to get a second job now.

You know, at my record store, we still have a few of these DCC Gold Copy discs available. I never knew they were so valuable.... No one buys them because the retail price on them is so high, but they go for higher on ebay.............

Yeah, the DCC pet sounds is a popular one. The dcc vinyl is supposed to be really nice. Do your homework on the DCC titles before you go buying 'em all. Not all of them are worth cash.

My take on the Smiths: I don't care about concert releases...I have a few of those already. I want the studio recordings and/or the singles/b-sides mastered properly. I want to hear the music that was recorded by one of my favorite bands to sound the best that in can. So far, I'm not too happy with my sire vinyl purchases. I have (1) rough trade cassette that blows away, in terms of sound quality, all of my smith's cd's and vinyl. This shouldn't be the case.

Boosting levels isn't what it's about.

Heres some links: Don't fall for the loud cd trap. That's what the volume knob is for.

http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicrange.htm
http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicdeath.htm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom