Leonard Cohen news - for those interested

The Seeker of Good Songs

If only Morrissey would make an album of Leonard Cohen covers.

The Seeker of Good Songs said:
If only Morrissey would make an album of Leonard Cohen covers.

I remember Morrissey saying in an interview that he doesn't write songs in a morose Leonard Cohen sort of way. That made me believe he doesn't much care for Leonard Cohen. Folk-type stuff has never been Morrissey's cup of tea. Punk and pop are more his speed.

His lyrics are amazing.

Just two weeks ago my girlfriend and I sat in the garden, with a couple of bottles of wine, watching the sun go down and reading lyrics to each other.

They are pure poetry - a different level to Moz in my opinion but then Moz has to fit what he has to say into a more tuneful style of music.

With Cohen, the music almost doesn't matter, although some of his stuff is really tuneful too.

Some of my favourite lines are:

"There is a War"
I live with a woman and child,
the situation makes me kind of nervous,
I rise up from her arms,
she says 'I guess you call this love,
I call it room service'.

"One of us cannot be wrong"
I showed my heart to the Doctor,
He said I'd just have to quit,
And then he wrote himself a prescription,
Your name was mentioned in it!

"I'm Your Man" is an excellent concert film/documentary. Fantastic performances of many great Leonard Cohen songs mixed with really enjoyable interviews with the man himself. He's funny, smart, and self-deprecating. I still doubt he's some shaman-like poet, as some claim, but this movie will convert many to his music, I think.

The only knock I have on the movie is that U2 seems to loom too large. Every other interview is with Bono or The Edge and the final lip-synced performance seems like a travesty compared to the souful live renditions preceding it. Genuinely gripping movie for an hour or so and then-- commercial break!

Worm said:
"I'm Your Man" is an excellent concert film/documentary. Fantastic performances of many great Leonard Cohen songs mixed with really enjoyable interviews with the man himself. He's funny, smart, and self-deprecating. I still doubt he's some shaman-like poet, as some claim, but this movie will convert many to his music, I think.

Hey Worm - is that the one where he's walking around with his backing singers (could be Italy)? And he performs "Tower Of Song" live?

If so then you are dead right about being THE thing to get people into him as it was that very documentary that got me hooked, the lines from Tower Of Song made me sit up and take notice:

Well my friends are gone,
and my hair is grey,
I ache in the places,
that I used to play.

Different movie. In this one, the filmmaker mixed live performances of Cohen's songs (done by performers like Rufus Wainwright, Jarvis Cocker, Nick Cave, Beth Orton and others at the Sydney Opera House at a tribute show) with interviews and archival material, including some of Cohen's artwork, which isn't bad. Cohen only appears as a talking head for most of the film, letting the others interpret his songs. He finally "performs" in the last section of the movie, when he lip-syncs "Tower of Song" with U2 in a glitzy New York club. An excellent song, but too distracting; U2 are too massive for a film like this, or an artist like Leonard Cohen. And anyway, they're playing a song they recorded with him years ago. Feels very stale after incredible performances by Wainwright (brother and sister) and the rest.

My favorite line in the movie was when Cohen talks about New York. "Here was a great city, a city almost as good as Montreal".

beau said:
I remember Morrissey saying in an interview that he doesn't write songs in a morose Leonard Cohen sort of way. That made me believe he doesn't much care for Leonard Cohen. Folk-type stuff has never been Morrissey's cup of tea. Punk and pop are more his speed.

Morrissey did still plagerise one of Cohen's lines though

Morrissey: 'And everything depends upon how near you stand to me'

Cohen: 'And everything depends on how near you sleep to me'

I dont suppose anyone has the Ladies and Gentlemen Leonard Cohen documentary for upload?

Or failing that, a recommendation that it is actually worth buying? I know there is little to no music in it, but I am slightly curious.

Life_Is_A_Pigsty said:
I dont suppose anyone has the Ladies and Gentlemen Leonard Cohen documentary for upload?

Or failing that, a recommendation that it is actually worth buying? I know there is little to no music in it, but I am slightly curious.

I may have that on DVD...I will have to look. If I do, you do I upload such to you?

Re: Leonard Cohens Greatest Song, Download Here

I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie. I've heard mixed things about it, but I think seeing Nick Cave, Rufus Wainwright and Antony perform Cohen's songs will be worth the ticket price alone! And then some =). Unfortunately I can't seem to find any info on a UK release, either cinema or DVD. I shall have to be patient and see.

I love Leonard Cohen and that school of songwriting that essentially amounts to 'the song's over when the lyrics are over'. Of course I think Morrissey lyric's are superb, but Cohen's are also amazing, but in a very different way.

Life_Is_A_Pigsty said:

Sorry, I do not have the documentary, but I do have one documenting Cohen's stay on Mt. Baldy. I think it was made in 1996. It is a Canadian production I believe, for it has French subtitles.

It is approximately 50 mins long and 110Meg in size. Which upload site will accommodate a file of that size, if anyone wants it? Or what is the best way to share it?

Soulseek is still the one I use the most Im afraid so I could download from you there, thanks for the reply by the way!

If you are on Soulseek I can give you the Songs From The Life Of Leonard Cohen documentary which is quite good and it has segments from the Ladies And Gentlemen doc in it which I would like. This is 645mb and plays for 1 hour 10 mins if youre interested

Life_Is_A_Pigsty said:
Soulseek is still the one I use the most Im afraid so I could download from you there, thanks for the reply by the way!

If you are on Soulseek I can give you the Songs From The Life Of Leonard Cohen documentary which is quite good and it has segments from the Ladies And Gentlemen doc in it which I would like. This is 645mb and plays for 1 hour 10 mins if youre interested

I just did an online check, and both Netflix and Blockbuster have "Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Leonard Cohen" listed. They also have the new "I'm Your Man" listed for later release.

http://www.blockbuster.com/catalog/DisplayMovieSpecialOffers.action?channel=Movies&subChannel=&movieID=123777&displayBoxArt=true

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=21477356&trkid=189530&strkid=1105871338_2_0

Back
Top Bottom