Misheard lyrics...

When "Southpaw" first came out some Morrissey folks online claimed the lyrics read "books aren't standing-eyes," which I knew was wrong because it made no sense but it drove me bonkers that I couldn't figure out what he was singing. It wasn't until I finally got the lyric sheet w/ "My Early Burglary Years" that I found out it's "Stanley knives," which made the song PERFECT. :)

The first time I played "The Father Who Must Be Killed" (in the car before getting home to read the lyrics) I thought he sang "socialize" instead of "so shall I."

Theo said:
When "Southpaw" first came out some Morrissey folks online claimed the lyrics read "books aren't standing-eyes," which I knew was wrong because it made no sense but it drove me bonkers that I couldn't figure out what he was singing. It wasn't until I finally got the lyric sheet w/ "My Early Burglary Years" that I found out it's "Stanley knives," which made the song PERFECT. :)

The first time I played "The Father Who Must Be Killed" (in the car before getting home to read the lyrics) I thought he sang "socialize" instead of "so shall I."

I thought it was "standing knives"?

No?

i thought that Morrissey said it was a "bootleg."

But, I can't see how it was a "bit late."

I really think good lay.

In "Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning", I always thought he sang "the sky became mad with stars" as opposed to "marked with stars". Still sounds better to me.

draize_train said:
In "Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning", I always thought he sang "the sky became mad with stars" as opposed to "marked with stars". Still sounds better to me.

Er - he does sing 'mad with stars' according to the lyric sheet anyhoo!

Classic misheard Smiths lyrics I had as a kid, when I only had them on tape with no lyric sheets:

Rubber Ring - "The whole world's immorally moral" (for "Oh well smother me mother") :rolleyes:

girl least likely to

I always thought it was "standing around the shops with peas" instead of "theives"

peas seemed a lot funnier to me.

sid james said:
Er - he does sing 'mad with stars' according to the lyric sheet anyhoo!

Indeed he does! I was going by the lyrics on the It May All End Tomorrow site, which for some reason say "marked". Hrm.

don't bring uo my mistakes, I know exactly what they are

Don't rake up my mistakes

Honest mistake

veradicere said:
I always thought it was "standing around the shops with peas" instead of "theives"

peas seemed a lot funnier to me.

It's definiitely Peas, not thieves

I am fairly certain that he does sing "standing around the shops with peas". It makes sense in the context of the song, which is writing songs about nothing much at all.

My most amusing mishear was with "Skin Storm". I could have sworn he sang, "You crush my burning lips like CASHEWS" instead of "ashes". I thought it was a bit odd, but hey, I suppose cashews can crush if you apply enough pressure...

Despair

I think "standing around the shops with thieves" makes a lot more sense. The preceding line is "oh, one more song about the Queen", which leads to me think that he is poking fun at his own lyrical obsessions; his preoccupation with royalty and criminals.

chetthespian said:
i thought that Morrissey said it was a "bootleg."

But, I can't see how it was a "bit late."

I really think good lay.

Well, the man himself told in an interview that he sang "good lay"

Phone me, phone me, phone me

Always thought he said on the second line: so f*** me f*** me phone me
which I always believed was slightly racy for Moz.

And in the same song...

I think I'm in love I always believed was something else too maybe I'm falling in love.... I only discovered the truth at the MEN gig and thus cannae recall what I used to believe was sung (I've been a fan for years)

As an aside though check this out:

http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=13108

HA HA HA

draize_train said:
I think "standing around the shops with thieves" makes a lot more sense. The preceding line is "oh, one more song about the Queen", which leads to me think that he is poking fun at his own lyrical obsessions; his preoccupation with royalty and criminals.

Listen again. It's clearly a "p" sound, not "th". He's singing about shopping for peas. Which I'm sure is one of his favorite hobbies.

Despair

Back
Top Bottom