BBC Radio 4 programme on Larkin - discusses Morrissey

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
Listening to this show right now. There's a section where Andrew Motion and David Walliams discuss Morrissey in relation to Larkin. Odd hearing the ex Poet Laureate Andrew Motion saying that he was a latecomer to Morrissey, but a great admirer. You should be able to listen to again shortly.

I don't think this has been posted before, apologies if it has.

P.

Thank you very much Peter.

I'll listen it after BBC 6 Javis' Sunday Service finished.

I was listening in the bath :)
Snowed-in Sunday afternoons don't get much better than this; BBC Radio4, Larkin, Morrissey, Motion and Walliams. Quite apart from the Moz section {and I don't concur with Walliams' point that because Morrissey ends up in Los Angeles this means he can no longer genuinely express the bleakness of life} the programme as a whole was excellent. Walliams is clearly a genuine Larkin fan (as well as a legit Moz fan} - he read a Larkin poem at his nan's funeral, wooed his wife {the stunning Lara Stone} with Larkin poems, and carries a volume whenever he travels.
Wonder if Motions' good friend, and current laureate, Carol Ann Duffy is quite as big an admirer? ;)
If I could boil this programme up in a filthy spoon and inject it in my brachial artery I would. Until then, the listen again facility on the iPlayer will have to suffice.

"I work all day and get half drunk at night". I'm a huge fan of Larkin. Well he was a librarian and all. Has Moz ever mentioned Larkin? I don't think he has. I remember Richey from the Manic Street Preachers wearing that t-shirt with the lines of "They f*** you up your mum and dad" from a Larking poem which I forget the title of.

"I work all day and get half drunk at night". I'm a huge fan of Larkin. Well he was a librarian and all. Has Moz ever mentioned Larkin? I don't think he has. I remember Richey from the Manic Street Preachers wearing that t-shirt with the lines of "They f*** you up your mum and dad" from a Larking poem which I forget the title of.

This be the verse. Don't know how I know that ;)

That's what I've been wondering. I know he's referenced quite a few other poets (Betjeman, Elizabeth Smart, Anne Sexton, Marianne Moore, etc) but I've never come across a direct nod. I would have assumed that someone would have asked about Larkin in an interview at some point over the years, but I've never read it if they did.
Any big nose who knows?

Back
Top Bottom